Sponsored by:

Worst Ever Intentional Punt At Runoffs

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2016, 01:16 PM
flatsics
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Coochas
If the description of intent is truly what happened in that video and the account on FB, then I would agree that this is not just an SCCA matter, but a criminal one.
As heinous as that was, I think the last thing we need is law enforcement investigating on track incidents.
Old 09-24-2016, 01:23 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 438 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by flatsics
As heinous as that was, I think the last thing we need is law enforcement investigating on track incidents.
Point taken, but if this was intentionally done,...
It's not like it was a common dive bomb pass. If this was premeditated then I feel that it is criminal.
Old 09-24-2016, 06:35 PM
fatbillybob
Drifting

Received 152 Likes on 94 Posts

Runoffs brings out the most tension and stress in drivers. Sometimes they just loose their minds. Runoffs is the most intense race of the year. MarkK will probably tell you it is a take no prisoners week. I'm antiquated with both drivers in fact had a convo with one of them at the track day before their race. They are both very nice guys and long time skilled racers. I hope the outcome of all this is not as bad as it appears. SCCA will figure it all out and the cards will fall where they may.
Old 09-24-2016, 06:59 PM
David993S
Drifting

Received 155 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by fatbillybob
Runoffs brings out the most tension and stress in drivers. Sometimes they just loose their minds. Runoffs is the most intense race of the year. MarkK will probably tell you it is a take no prisoners week. ..............

Indeed a high-stress/tension event, but it's no excuse, even when racing for a national championship. There's a difference between tough, close "take no prisoners" racing and deliberate punting. The consequences of doing so can potentially result in serious injury or worse. If deemed intentional, the driver should be banned from SCCA for life.

And yes, I've raced at the Runoffs before.
Old 09-24-2016, 07:33 PM
paradocs98
Rennlist Member

Received 390 Likes on 189 Posts

Originally Posted by wanna911
If Im not mistaken this guy has been caught cheating at the runoffs before too for far too mugh HP.
Originally Posted by 714evo
What's the name of this douche?
Reportedly it's Tom Sloe. Apparently he's fast and talented, but has been in trouble before. 2013 disqualification for carburetor not passing tech. 2009 disqualification for similar issue, which he actually won on appeal. And lots of door-bangin' in 2013 which led to a competitor crossing the finish line backwards in front of him.

From the Misery Bay Region SCCA newsletter, describing the 2013 runoffs:
"The American Sedan race was crazy for a different reason, impound inspection. Neohio’s Tom Sloe fought off a charging McDermid. It got easier when McDermid’s rear brakes went away and Ed Hosni’s Mustang quit. It turned out that Sloe and several others had illegal carburetors. So John Heinricy, who finished 3rd on the track, got his 12th Runoffs Championship...
...The last race had a very scary ending. While Andy Wolverton diced his way to the win, Matthew Pullano caught up to Tom Sloe running in 3rd. Coming out of the last turn, they banged all the way up the hill until Pullano spun around in front of Sloe to finish backwards and then crashed into the pit wall right in front of me. Sloe was disqualified for the contact. Not a good way to end the first day of racing."

Pullano's description of the above incident, from a racer.com article:
"Tom and I had a nice little battle going on," Pullano said. "He has a lot more experience than I do here. I only got out for two sessions during the week. I was just looking for an opportunity. I had an opportunity a couple laps previously, and ran off the track a little bit. I made up the ground, and I saw that his tires were probably going away. I hit the curbs really hard in (Turn) 13. I got it loose, and I figured he would go to the inside to block, so there was a nice little over-under opportunity. He had some anger issues up the front stretch and got a little argy-bargy. I figured once I got ahead, I would show off and go backwards across the line and show him who's better."
Pullano had the Go Pro Hero Move of the Race for his backward third place finish.
Old 09-24-2016, 09:07 PM
wanna911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

His rap sheet is significantly longer than that. Specifically from competitors. His reputation precedes him. Lots of contact, protests, blatant power discrepancies, bad driving, dq's.
Old 09-24-2016, 09:25 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,219 Likes on 1,852 Posts

Andy is no prince either...

Both these guys own AS...
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 09-25-2016, 08:12 AM
924RACR
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 78 Likes on 62 Posts

...and that's why I never want to race AS: The motors are too big, and the brains and dicks are too small.

...and why I prefer prototypes, where the motors are tiny, and you need big brains and big *****.

(with apologies to those of my friends who do race AS!)
Old 09-25-2016, 08:49 AM
uscarrera
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 667 Likes on 322 Posts

Would love to see in car from any of those 3 cars.
Rich
Old 09-26-2016, 12:14 PM
dbf73
Boost Junkie
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by flatsics
BTDT At the 82 runoffs at Road Atlanta, one of my competitors took offense at something one of the other drivers did at the pre-event test day, came into the pits and hit said offending car while it was up on stands with someone under it. Luckily no one was hurt and the stewards inexplicably let him run the event. While I was strapped in on the grid, I looked in the rear view mirror and saw this sheriff straight out of central casting come ambling down the grid. Although he talked to the miscreant (wish I could have heard what was said), they let him run the race. Lo and behold, who do I end getting driven off the road at 6 by? you guessed it. CS wouldn't come out of the car or even lower his net to discuss after. Never did hear the definitive story of the aftermath
Old 09-26-2016, 05:38 PM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Received 870 Likes on 573 Posts

Originally Posted by 714evo
What's the name of this douche?
seems like there is more than one douche since the crowd seemed to love it.
Old 10-06-2016, 10:25 PM
wanna911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Driver Suspended Indefinitely!

http://www.scca.com/articles/2003096...rectors-action
Old 10-06-2016, 10:35 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,219 Likes on 1,852 Posts

Good.
Old 10-06-2016, 10:38 PM
StoogeMoe
Rennlist Member

Received 146 Likes on 99 Posts

Justly deserved!

Hope he doesn't show up in NASA.
Old 10-06-2016, 11:32 PM
fatbillybob
Drifting

Received 152 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by wanna911
There it is. BOD has spoken. I wonder if he appears at a NASA event near you? Do other clubs have persona non-grata rules?

Quick Reply: Worst Ever Intentional Punt At Runoffs