Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2016, 01:00 PM
toddlamb
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 36 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by audipwr1
Remember spec Miata before the cars were 75k bare shell builds
OK that's a little high....we build one of the most expensive (i.e. top prepped) SM's in the country at $45k with full AIM system, just FYI. My SM is available for $30k ready to win Runoffs.
Porsche repairs, servicing, and upgrades / Certified IMS installer / PDK repair experts

Over 150 PDK's repaired and counting:
https://youtu.be/m54P_zisEcI

Old 09-19-2016, 01:04 PM
toddlamb
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 36 Likes on 26 Posts

Another reason to race SPB: the cars are also legal for T3 in SCCA!

We plan to race SCCA/PCA next year. Along with the Global MX-5 Cup series, we will have a busy schedule for 2017!
Old 09-19-2016, 02:28 PM
TraqGear
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Goto spec Miata forum or go to track and look at the top 4 cars - bare shell builds with new oem suspension / data you are there
I'm on them. Doesn't exist. Nothing personal my friend, but this just isn't true.

A top notch, brand new, runner can be bought for 30-35k depending on what safety extras you get. With data and all the bells and whistles/data, then 40k max. And, btw, they don't use the oem supsension in SM..it's illegal. Just how much SM have you ran?

Edit: Todd beat me to it. But his are a tad fancier and a little higher. And we're talking a build from the ground up with any engine builder you want.

The apex of performance, comfort & safety since 2011.
All new racewear available now→ traqgear.com
Old 09-19-2016, 02:36 PM
audipwr1
Rennlist Member

Received 189 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by ZBB0730
I'm on them. Doesn't exist. Nothing personal my friend, but this just isn't true. A top notch, brand new, runner can be bought for 30-35k depending on what safety extras you get. With data and all the bells and whistles/data, then 40k max. And, btw, they don't use the oem supsension in SM..it's illegal. Just how much SM have you ran? Edit: Todd beat me to it. But his are a tad fancier and a little higher. And we're talking a build from the ground up with any engine builder you want.
East street bare shell build with east street new spec motor is right around what I quoted

One of their cars used is 30-40k

I've run them once, I asked what it costs to win and then moved to spec boxster
Old 09-19-2016, 02:38 PM
TraqGear
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

East street bare shell build with east street new spec motor is right around what I quoted

One of their cars used is 30-40k

I've run them once, I asked what it costs to win and then moved to spec boxster
East Street new build is 40k and below with lots of options. I bought one and know Jim well. They are not anywhere near 75k.
Old 09-19-2016, 02:41 PM
audipwr1
Rennlist Member

East Street new build is 40k and below with lots of options. I bought one and know Jim well. They are not anywhere near 75k.
Guess I was lied to ok
Old 09-19-2016, 02:46 PM
TraqGear
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Guess I was lied to ok
When you build a car, don't tell them your other car is a smokin hot GT3RS! No worries my friend. Just don't want to give people the wrong impression. I really enjoy the SM crowd..they are extremely helpful and fun to run with..not to mention one of best classes to learn race craft. But, I also love running with PCA..lot of great people and a lot of friends. Nothing like a Porsche. I hope I always have the means to race one in some class.
Old 09-19-2016, 02:54 PM
audipwr1
Rennlist Member

When you build a car, don't tell them your other car is a smokin hot GT3RS! No worries my friend. Just don't want to give people the wrong impression. I really enjoy the SM crowd..they are extremely helpful and fun to run with..not to mention one of best classes to learn race craft. But, I also love running with PCA..lot of great people and a lot of friends. Nothing like a Porsche. I hope I always have the means to race one in some class.
Fair points all around. The west coast super miata series also looks like a hoot.
Old 09-19-2016, 03:21 PM
powdrhound
Rennlist Member

Received 1,935 Likes on 1,127 Posts

It's a shame as it seems PCA SPB has come down to the fact that if you don't bend the rules you don't win. I'm generalizing a bit but this is a complain I hear a good bit..

Last edited by powdrhound; 09-19-2016 at 10:23 PM.
Old 09-19-2016, 03:43 PM
mmuller
Rennlist Member

Received 115 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by powdrhound
Unfortunately it seems PCA SPB has turned into a series of cheaters based on what I heard went on at the last club race where one of the SPBs got DQd for running 100lbs under. The #1 car appeared to have some special sauce added to it as he would easily pull away from the field on the straights running times almost 2 seconds faster than the current SPB track records. When confronted by others he denied it and proceeded to throttle back on the straights during the subsequent sessions. There is a total lack of policing but even if there was guys would find a way to skirt the rules via dual mapping, etc. It's a shame as it seems SPB has come down to the fact that if you don't cheat you don't win.
Not sure this is in fact true. Whilst I have seen evidence of it with my own two eyes on more than one occasion, I believe for the most part that isn't the case. I had a conversation with Walt earlier this year specifically about it and he indicated that PCA was trying to put a higher level of scrutineering on the SPB's. He indicated they may hand out DME's at the beginning of the weekend and it be a requirement that drivers run the PCA DME vs running their own.

In the NE at least I don't believe this to be the case. I know quite a few of us in the NE work hard to keep our cars competitive against each other.
Old 09-19-2016, 04:02 PM
C4 Pazzo
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

It's a shame as it seems PCA SPB has come down to the fact that if you don't cheat you don't win. .
I don't think this is a fair statement. My experience racing SPB in California is that the best drivers routinely find their way to the podium. They would be there in any of the cars in the field.

I think the concern is that as the SPB fields grow, some drivers (and shops) may be willing to take shortcuts.
Old 09-19-2016, 06:00 PM
powdrhound
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by C4 Pazzo
I don't think this is a fair statement. My experience racing SPB in California is that the best drivers routinely find their way to the podium. They would be there in any of the cars in the field.

I think the concern is that as the SPB fields grow, some drivers (and shops) may be willing to take shortcuts.
Of course I didn't mean that to be a blanket statement but just echoing the sentiment of what I've heard from a number of guys that took part in the last club race. There are guys taking shortcuts in every sport. When you see a particular car clearly pull away from other SPBs on a long straight from other "equal" cars, well, it makes you go hmmmm.. There is no driver skill involved there.. My understanding is this was pretty blatant.

Last edited by powdrhound; 09-19-2016 at 06:56 PM.
Old 09-19-2016, 07:00 PM
Provost Motorsports
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Of course I didn't mean that to be a blanket statement but just echoing the sentiment of what I've heard from a number of guys that took part in the last club race. There are guys taking shortcuts in every sport. When you see a particular car clearly pull away from other SPBs on a long straight from other "equal" cars, well, it makes you go hmmmm.. There is no driver skill involved there.. My understanding is this was pretty blatant.
Bet we look at the data and they carried more apex speed in the corner leading on to the straight..you cant even flinch in the top 5 of SPB or your out...PCA has already confirmed this multiple times with there AIM system
Old 09-19-2016, 07:26 PM
powdrhound
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Provost Motorsports
Bet we look at the data and they carried more apex speed in the corner leading on to the straight..you cant even flinch in the top 5 of SPB or your out...PCA has already confirmed this multiple times with there AIM system
I understand all that. What I was told is that this was not a question of a driver carrying extra speed out of the turn into the straight. Just going by what I heard from several reputable guys that were there. Certainly not pointing fingers and facts always tend to get exaggerated a bit. Again, look at just about any sport and you'll find examples of people bending the rules. Look at Sharapova in Tennis, Lance and probably 90% of the cycling tour, and about half the the Russian Olympic team last month. Happens everywhere unfortunately...

Last edited by powdrhound; 09-19-2016 at 08:48 PM.
Old 09-19-2016, 08:39 PM
968workaholic
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I understand all that. This was not a question of a driver carrying extra speed out of the turn into the straight. I know the driver in question and what times he's run on the same track in the past in other SPBs. I think this is why other guys had a huge issue with this because it was the same driver, different car, and all of the sudden a huge visible straight line advantage and times almost 2 sec quicker than in the past.
Not to poke a hole in your theroy, but isn't it possible that the driver has worked on his car setup/had some professional coaching since his past races? Setup is always evolving as well as the drivers to match the new suspension setups.

Quick Reply: Top 5 reasons to race SPB