Sponsored by:

Is COTA hard on brakes? Ayep.

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2016, 01:15 PM
TXE36
Drifting

Received 191 Likes on 128 Posts
Default Is COTA hard on brakes? Ayep.

COTA with Chin last weekend. During the Happy Hour Saturday a car blew an oil seal. The driver was quick to respond and it happened right at T19, so he ducked into the pit, but the oil leak was bad enough that he spun sideways, blocking the pit in and then had a small fire. I was on the back straight when the red flag flew a lap after a new PB. Just before Happy Hour I noticed a loose oil dipstick from a fallen out bolt. I didn't want to risk an oil leak and was able to repair it. Notice the smoke after I stopped:

In real time I thought I had an oil leak and was going nuts waiting to get back to the paddock. Felt like forever, but it was only a few minutes. Upon getting back and inspecting, no oil anywhere and it dawned on me the smoke was coming from the wheel wells, not the hood. A friend, stopped on the other side of the track came up to comment about it. Note that this car has very good brake ducting and that was intact. The PFC 08 pads and Stoptech ST-40 calipers were working very well.

I normally do a cool down lap or 1/2 lap and I've never seen the brakes do this before. Ironically, on Sunday, my student during the last session made a decision to get off the track at T18, so no cool down lap. We rolled up to his friends and the brakes on his Turbo S were smoking the way mine had. Cringe worthy and cool at the same time.

Why cringe worthy, upon inspection Sunday morning, I found what is pictured below. Both left and right front rotors cracked in three places. They weren't long for this world anyway, but the no cool down sure didn't help them. The M3 spent Sunday on the trailer - a generous friend saved my Sunday by letting my drive his SRF - that will be another tread topic.

-Mike
Attached Images  
Old 09-06-2016, 01:18 PM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

Received 490 Likes on 327 Posts

Those were whiskers away from replacement anyways.

They fit under the Kosei's with a 12mm spacer?
Old 09-06-2016, 01:28 PM
TXE36
Drifting

Originally Posted by docwyte
Those were whiskers away from replacement anyways.

They fit under the Kosei's with a 12mm spacer?
Yeah I know they were close to done, I wonder if they would have made it through Sunday if not for sitting there cooking like that. For me it was a blessing. These came on the car and wasn't sure how much life was left. These floating Aerorotors last a very long time and they can be pricey, so don't really want to finish with them until done. Got lucky, was expecting to pay $700 for new friction surfaces and managed to score a pair for $450 delivered.

And yep, K1s with a 12mm spacer.

-Mike

Last edited by TXE36; 09-06-2016 at 01:45 PM. Reason: cooking not cooing
Old 09-06-2016, 01:35 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 60 Posts

yes, those rotors are done, but thats not a track problem or a cool down problem, those rotors just became EOL.
you might want to try downshifting more , Certainly when you are coming to a stop in that kind of situation, as you wont need as much brakes to slow down. You did a routine 120 to 0 slow down and stop with no cooling afterwards... you might have bedded your brake pads a little if they hadnt seen that much heat before. a couple of blips and shfts and you may not have even needed the brakes that much to slow down and stop.
ST40s are the same pads I use with the same rotor size. they take a tone of abuse. mine just lasted the entire racing season and havent shown a crack yet. you also might be growing out of the capability of the PFC-08s and might need to move up to the 11s. what did the pads look like?
Old 09-06-2016, 01:36 PM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

Received 490 Likes on 327 Posts

I'd like to get a set of Stoptechs for my car, looking for a good used set...
Old 09-06-2016, 01:50 PM
TXE36
Drifting

Originally Posted by docwyte
I'd like to get a set of Stoptechs for my car, looking for a good used set...
Hand of God brakes - seriously. It is amazing how fast Bad Girl can stop. I was able go just a bit deeper than the 150 marker of COTA's T12, which is just in front of us - the red flag is being displayed at the T12 flag station. Car is capable of outbraking just about anything there, although I have to admit my student's GT3 could go as deep as the 150 and it's entry was at much higher speed.

It also does just fine with PFCs on the stock rear calipers/rotors.

-Mike
Old 09-06-2016, 02:02 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TXE36
Hand of God brakes - seriously. It is amazing how fast Bad Girl can stop. I was able go just a bit deeper than the 150 marker of COTA's T12, which is just in front of us - the red flag is being displayed at the T12 flag station. Car is capable of outbraking just about anything there, although I have to admit my student's GT3 could go as deep as the 150 and it's entry was at much higher speed.

It also does just fine with PFCs on the stock rear calipers/rotors.

-Mike
Yeah, if you have hand of god brakes up front, you dont need much in the back. stock usually works quite well in most all track /street conversions.

what is with the NO gloves, short sleave shirt? how long have you been doing this? youre spinning, smoking, craking rotors and you think fire knows you are only "DE'ing" ? just having the gloves for better control is worth the price of the set!
Old 09-06-2016, 02:23 PM
SiberianDVM
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

We cracked 3 sets of front rotors at Daytona with our Supra Chump Car. Never had cracked rotors in 6 previous races, but this was our first time using ST-43 pads.

So the next race, we used new rotors and R-4E pads. Pads were gone after 12 hours but rotors looked great. Put the ST-43 pads back on and the rotors cracked within 3 hours. ST-43 pads still look great.

We're still looking for a front pad that will last 14+ hours and not destroy our rotors.
Old 09-06-2016, 02:42 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,418 Likes on 759 Posts

COTA is among the hardest on brakes tracks there is.
Old 09-06-2016, 02:46 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by SiberianDVM
We cracked 3 sets of front rotors at Daytona with our Supra Chump Car. Never had cracked rotors in 6 previous races, but this was our first time using ST-43 pads.

So the next race, we used new rotors and R-4E pads. Pads were gone after 12 hours but rotors looked great. Put the ST-43 pads back on and the rotors cracked within 3 hours. ST-43 pads still look great.

We're still looking for a front pad that will last 14+ hours and not destroy our rotors.
I have an answer for you ...PFC11's!! (edit left that info out) stopping power of the ST-41, that wont kill the rotors. basically as nice to rotors as the Pagid blacks but higher temp rating.
try them... you will not be disappointed.
however, i dont know what rotors the Supra has, but generally, they are very thin on the far-eastern econ-o boxes. sometimes if they are too thin, no matter what you do, a track like daytona can kill them. sounds like you put heat in and out of the rotors and it couldnt take it... the main problem with daytona is that you get things really hot and then relatively cool every lap... that expansion and contraction causes a thinner rotor to crack. Porsches come stock with 32mm thick rotors with great metallurgy qualities. you need to find this to help the rotors survive some uses.

Last edited by mark kibort; 09-07-2016 at 02:06 PM.
Old 09-06-2016, 04:14 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
COTA is among the hardest on brakes tracks there is.
And with these kind of tracks, and there are a lot of them, brake management needs to be used. Plenty of cars are running much faster than this e36 with stoptech brake kit, with a lot less power and with MUCH smaller brakes and dont have any issues more than other tracks like COTA. (spec miatas run sub 2:45 with fastest being 2:41)
Old 09-06-2016, 05:01 PM
TrackDays247.com
Former Vendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

COTA is the king of thermal shock....that turn 11 straight to turn 12 slowdown....HELLLLLL.
Btdt.
Old 09-06-2016, 05:27 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Craig - RennStore.com
COTA is the king of thermal shock....that turn 11 straight to turn 12 slowdown....HELLLLLL.
Btdt.
Thats really the problem isnt it.... like daytona i would imagine. rotors cooled off and then alll the way to themal limits. rinse repeat.
Old 09-06-2016, 05:30 PM
TrackDays247.com
Former Vendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Been there twice - that straight is a rotor killer.
Old 09-06-2016, 05:35 PM
rlm328
Rennlist Member

Received 309 Likes on 206 Posts

The straights are all followed by 90 degree or greater turns. You are going from whatever your car will do to a second gear turn. It is extremely hard on brakes.

Quick Reply: Is COTA hard on brakes? Ayep.