Sponsored by:

Hoosier R7s vs Hoosier Racing Slicks

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2016, 06:12 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by Slakker
This is bullsh... Complete and total bullsh... There is nobody in this forum that needs protecting from either of you. Everyone is able to read opposing opinions, weigh them based on the source, and form their own conclusions. If you never mentioned or responded to Dave ever again in a post Rennlist would be a better place.

You didn't like it when you had 6 or 7 people attacking you without justification. That should be reason enough to let everyone else have their opinions without addressing them negatively. Dave has been doing a good job of not responding to you or merely showing disagreement without comment. This should not be a free license for you to continue poking at him. You've been doing good. Let's not start digressing already.
Actually it really was... i have a lot of racing days on all the tires mentioned. while i respect some of his experience, i have to interject when i think something is grossly misleading. I would hate to have you pick up a set of DH tires spend $3k on them and then have them be junk in a couple of weekends.
you asked to quantify the differences and i did just that. yes, ill admit, i started in at Dave when he said the very common and usual answer of the difference between a slick and DOT tire (of being faster) but i thougth it might be good to know that there are slicks that are not as fast as DOTs and its really a construction difference. But your right, i should have just let that go.
sorry... working on it! Ill back off even more.
Old 08-31-2016, 06:21 PM
Slakker
Race Car

Received 270 Likes on 124 Posts

Cheers Mark. Thanks for all of the data and effort you put into your responses to my question.

And I think Dave's comment of "slicks are faster" was more tongue in cheek than absolute definitive statement. Or at least that's how I took it. Kind of like if I asked "what do I need to know about the planet earth?" and he replied "it's round."
Old 08-31-2016, 07:44 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Cheers Mark. Thanks for all of the data and effort you put into your responses to my question.

And I think Dave's comment of "slicks are faster" was more tongue in cheek than absolute definitive statement. Or at least that's how I took it. Kind of like if I asked "what do I need to know about the planet earth?" and he replied "it's round."
yes, i know that.. i shouldnt have responded like i did . if things were different, my response would be as tonge and cheek as his post. I know. slicks are usually much much faster!
anyway, i had a tough day at work today, and no dog to kick! my bad!

As a comical note.. i always start thinking of all the time that everyone has been told they get for certain mods..... tires 3 seconds, wings 1 second, suspension 1 second, splitter 1 seconds, 100lbs of weight 1 second, special alignment, 1-3 second, pro driver vs good club driver, 1 second, 5lb lighter wheels, 1 second, 1" wider track, 1 second, special oil, 1 second, electric steering pump, 1 second, bigger brakes, 1 second. ....etc etc.
suddenly, your spec miata with a few mods is much faster than a 2016 GT3 cup! Our sport is pretty funny sometimes!
Old 08-31-2016, 07:54 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,599 Likes on 832 Posts

Cheers Mark. Thanks for all of the data and effort you put into your responses to my question. And I think Dave's comment of "slicks are faster" was more tongue in cheek than absolute definitive statement. Or at least that's how I took it. Kind of like if I asked "what do I need to know about the planet earth?" and he replied "it's round."
Correct
Old 09-10-2016, 07:35 AM
wanna911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mark kibort
this is true. but the major factor would be the lesser heat cycle capability for that superior grip... and i forgot about the S series... i dont know what the major differences are now between R and S slicks now but thats really not the question here. do you know?
A guy I competed witb at NASA nationals in 2014 had one of the first sets of them. He said they were faster on his car than the R80/100 series by about a second. He had a full GT1 aero level C5.
Old 09-10-2016, 05:40 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by wanna911
A guy I competed witb at NASA nationals in 2014 had one of the first sets of them. He said they were faster on his car than the R80/100 series by about a second. He had a full GT1 aero level C5.
wow... that's substantial! especially for the R100s which were pretty good actually.
I might have to start running the American V8 supercar series again, because they give a free one out to the winner usually.
Old 09-11-2016, 09:23 AM
coryf
Rennlist Member

Received 147 Likes on 72 Posts

We have been running the S100 for the last few seasons. The S is much better than the R. Faster and more durable. (no side wall failure and longer lasting) They seem to like less negative camber than a "normal" setup. (pirelli/michelin)

Quick Reply: Hoosier R7s vs Hoosier Racing Slicks