Sponsored by:

Steering Lock Disable - For PCA Racing

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2016, 10:11 PM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Steering Lock Disable - For PCA Racing

I'm building a Spec Cayman and, per the rules, must disable the steering lock. I searched but didn't find anything, so here is my humble contribution, paying it forward. (probably similar for other models as well)

THANKS to Kurt Smilovsky of Engineered Automotive in Toronto for helping out.

Steering column must be removed, but it's not that big a deal once you know how.

I'll let the pictures do the talking:

Pic 1: Overall view; bolt that sticks out is the only one that needs to be removed, well that and the diagonal brace that is sticking up. Black cube on top is the lock assembly

Pic 2: That's the 'hook' at the back of the column that hooks onto the 'pin' in pic 3. Once you remove the bolt, you need to pull back on the column and it will fall on your lap. It's tight, so a bit of wiggling will help

Pic 3: Shows the pin where the hook, uh, hooks up. Also shows the spline at the firewall once the shaft is pulled out

Pic 4: Shows the allen wrench to give you an idea of where the fastener is located to remove the lock. The fastener must be turned clockwise, tightening direction, to release the lock assembly. It comes out with the lock

Pic 5: Again, the allen wrench. Once the screw is in all the way, you can just wiggle the block to pull it out

Pic 6: That is the lock removed and where it lives. This is with the lock released

Pic 7: Lock engaged. IOW, with the ignition key removed

NOTE: To remove the lock assembly from the column you need to turn the allen screw (clockwise) all the way, but you must also unlock the steering by inserting the key in the ignition. This will allow the lock assembly to slide toward the front of the car and be released.

NOTE 2: I did all of this in the car cause I wasn't sure of how to remove the small black connector from the lock assembly and I didn't want to break it. So, you could also remove the connector, get the column on the bench to undo the allen screw, and then reconnect it to power the lock and unlock. But if you've made it this far, I'm pretty sure that you can figure out the rest.

EDIT: (The small black connector on the lock just pulls out)

EDIT:The lock is part of the immobilizer circuit and has to stay hooked up, so you should move the assembly to the side and secure it under the dash. If you don't reconnect the lock assembly, you get a red message that says "Steering Locked" and nothing happens (no start, no accessories, nothing)

Hope this all makes sense.
Attached Images        

Last edited by FFaust; 08-29-2016 at 12:39 AM. Reason: Added info re immobilizer
Old 08-29-2016, 12:17 AM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 599 Likes on 461 Posts

Helpful post!

Aside from what the rules mandate, I'm curious: Is it common for 98x/99x/cayman's to have the steering wheel lock while on track to necessitate this (spec996 and specBox require it)?
Old 08-29-2016, 12:29 AM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

Folks more knowledgeable than I will have to answer that.

Info added above re needing to leave the lock connected BTW.
Old 08-29-2016, 12:49 AM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

The column, so you know what you are dealing with.
Attached Images  
Old 08-29-2016, 12:23 PM
Dwane
Race Car

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

We(me,Marc,Seb) were talking about you this weekend.(I owe you 1)
Hope to see you soon.

Old 08-29-2016, 02:29 PM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

No problem, I'll settle for a sausage at one of your world-famous track BBQ's.
Old 08-29-2016, 03:03 PM
stownsen914
Three Wheelin'

Received 293 Likes on 185 Posts

Originally Posted by garrett376
Helpful post!

Aside from what the rules mandate, I'm curious: Is it common for 98x/99x/cayman's to have the steering wheel lock while on track to necessitate this (spec996 and specBox require it)?
I have heard of emergency situations on track where a car was shut off due to mechanical issues, and the driver, not thinking through the consequences, removed the keys while still moving. Then, the next time the steering wheel was turned, it locked. This can obviously be very dangerous, and unfortunately in the heat of the moment, is not hard to have happen.

I saw an unfortunate case a number of years ago in which a car became disabled on track. The driver got out, and returned to get a tow back in. The driver did not put the keys in and did not buckle. The tow strap was placed at the top of the roll cage, and the car rolled when it started turning and the tow vehicle did not see what was happening. The driver (remember, not buckled) was thrown from the car. He was lucky to "only" break his shoulder.

I did a similar mod to my 914 racecar years ago. Is it not required for all models?
Old 08-29-2016, 03:18 PM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

^^ Wow, excellent points.

No, it is not required for 'stock' classes, but seems to be for the other 'spec' classes per garrett's comment.

Remember that the philosophy behind PCA racing is that you can theoretically drive to the track, race, and drive back home, so the cars should remain 'streetable'... I think.
Old 08-30-2016, 08:15 PM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 599 Likes on 461 Posts

Originally Posted by stownsen914
I have heard of emergency situations on track where a car was shut off due to mechanical issues, and the driver, not thinking through the consequences, removed the keys while still moving. Then, the next time the steering wheel was turned, it locked. This can obviously be very dangerous, and unfortunately in the heat of the moment, is not hard to have happen.
That same guy probably had to remove his interior door handles so he wouldn't get out while flying down the straight in the event he smelled smoke from someone's BBQ in the pits... Just kidding with you, but still seems like an odd requirement considering passenger cars all have them yet accidents aren't happening on the roads due to failed/locked columns, and you'd think club racers are a little more "with it" than the average driver to not pull a key out when driving at speed... but maybe not, considering your example.
Old 08-31-2016, 08:32 AM
Paseb
Rennlist Member

Received 86 Likes on 53 Posts

Great thread francois

Well detailed
Old 08-31-2016, 11:44 AM
stownsen914
Three Wheelin'

Received 293 Likes on 185 Posts

Originally Posted by garrett376
That same guy probably had to remove his interior door handles so he wouldn't get out while flying down the straight in the event he smelled smoke from someone's BBQ in the pits... Just kidding with you, but still seems like an odd requirement considering passenger cars all have them yet accidents aren't happening on the roads due to failed/locked columns, and you'd think club racers are a little more "with it" than the average driver to not pull a key out when driving at speed... but maybe not, considering your example.
Most street drivers don't even consider shutting off their car while driving, so risk is very low for them. On track, that does happen as we know. It's just a relatively easy fix to avoid serious consequences. Up to each driver if they want to bother doing it

I'm curious why it's a required mod for this one model.

Quick Reply: Steering Lock Disable - For PCA Racing