Road America!

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2016, 02:09 PM
scott40
Rennlist Member

Received 101 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by mklaskin
https://www.flickr.com/photos/126679294@N03/?saved=1

Great racing, great weather, and many thanks to the corner workers and volunteers.
Great photos! Thanks for posting!
Old 09-06-2016, 05:07 PM
Obturate
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Great bumper sticker... I didn't know Trump raced with PCA
Dennis Kerasotes had those made up. Were you coaching John Allen?
Old 09-06-2016, 05:14 PM
Chris P Lewis
Rennlist Member

Received 106 Likes on 59 Posts

Great weekend for me and the Super Bee!! 4th and 3rd in the GTB1 points races. Fastest non-coach driven 6 speed. I'll take it.
Old 09-06-2016, 06:18 PM
GT3DE
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 40 Posts

I went bare-boat charter: no captain, no crew. Drove the rig myself from Virginia.
Had to try to get some points for the E championship (more than 20 E showed up so lots of points available).

Practice 1 New tires! Got to grid as the sun came up so I would be up front. Got the green flag with nothing but blue sky in front of me. Drove into Carousel flat and never lifted. All the way around. Holy... and then at track out I was in a place I had never been before: both feet in and eyes shut waiting for the crash. Open my eyes, I've must have died and gone to heaven because I am in a blue cloud. And then the cloud fades as cars go speeding by. No crash!!!!!!!! I cheer! I yell, I scream. Badonk, badonk, badonk all the way back to the Bob Woodman tent for another $1400 of tires.

Practice 2 Don't remember anything.

Practice 3 (aka qualifying) Car messed up, couldn't get a good time. Brake rotors warped, massive chatter. The mass flux capacitor didn't have quite 1.21 jigawatts. Car losing power above 5700rpm. Thanks Pat Heptig for helping me fix it.

Sprint 1 (aka Qualifying for Sprint 2) Started 11th, passed some cars, got a decent lap time, a 34. Brakes getting worse. Then on lap 3 car cut out completely. Apparently out of uranium. Thanks John Machul for donating your spare Mass flow capacitor thingy so I run next race on banana peels.

Sprint 2 (THE POINTS RACE) Started 3rd, and got shuffled and bounced and passed and thuroughly abused by Accumoto and Buckley cars back to 5th or 6th. Car getting really loose, brakes awful chatter, gear shift getting harder and harder to shift gears. By lap 8 I am up to 2nd and (way) behind Mark White in the Accumoto Cuba machine. Flux capacitor is at 1.21 jigawatts, all is great. Except the loose part. And the brakes. And the shifting. Blue and white Buckley cars all over me... I start practicing my E class championship speech for Sebring 2017 to keep my mind off the loose, the brakes, the shifter, and the white and blue bullets behind me. And then the teleprompter goes blank. Its stuck in 5th. I'm braking for Canada Corner and it won't come out of 5th. Its stuck in 5th. 5th?!?!?!??!?!?!?!??!?!?!? Zing, zing.... zing...zing.....zing, zing, the cars go by along with my acrylic dream.

Last edited by GT3DE; 09-06-2016 at 06:47 PM.
Old 09-06-2016, 06:42 PM
714evo
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Funny!
Did you duct tape the mass flux capacitor shut?
Will be watching to see how you and Niels end up...🏁
Old 09-06-2016, 06:44 PM
GT3DE
Drifting

After you fixed it I used zip ties as per your recommendation.

But the one donated by Machul did have duct tape holding it together!

After this weekend we both Niels and I have the max 25 participation points and both completed 7 of 8 races. Niels will be leading. By 1 point.

Picture of Mass Flux capacitor thingy
Attached Images  

Last edited by GT3DE; 09-07-2016 at 08:29 AM.
Old 09-06-2016, 08:08 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,680 Likes on 868 Posts

Originally Posted by Obturate
Dennis Kerasotes had those made up. Were you coaching John Allen?
I have in the past but this time I was working with another driver paddocked with him. Never met you! Or did I?
Old 09-06-2016, 08:53 PM
Astroman
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by GT3DE
After Heptig fixed mine I used zip ties as per Pat's recommendation.
Funny recap!

I think "714evo" above is Pat.
Old 09-06-2016, 09:15 PM
RSRRacer
Rennlist Member

Received 182 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by GT3DE
I went bare-boat charter: no captain, no crew. Drove the rig myself from Virginia.
Had to try to get some points for the E championship (more than 20 E showed up so lots of points available).

Practice 1 New tires! Got to grid as the sun came up so I would be up front. Got the green flag with nothing but blue sky in front of me. Drove into Carousel flat and never lifted. All the way around. Holy... and then at track out I was in a place I had never been before: both feet in and eyes shut waiting for the crash. Open my eyes, I've must have died and gone to heaven because I am in a blue cloud. And then the cloud fades as cars go speeding by. No crash!!!!!!!! I cheer! I yell, I scream. Badonk, badonk, badonk all the way back to the Bob Woodman tent for another $1400 of tires.

Practice 2 Don't remember anything.

Practice 3 (aka qualifying) Car messed up, couldn't get a good time. Brake rotors warped, massive chatter. The mass flux capacitor didn't have quite 1.21 jigawatts. Car losing power above 5700rpm. Thanks Pat Heptig for helping me fix it.

Sprint 1 (aka Qualifying for Sprint 2) Started 11th, passed some cars, got a decent lap time, a 34. Brakes getting worse. Then on lap 3 car cut out completely. Apparently out of uranium. Thanks John Machul for donating your spare Mass flow capacitor thingy so I run next race on banana peels.

Sprint 2 (THE POINTS RACE) Started 3rd, and got shuffled and bounced and passed and thuroughly abused by Accumoto and Buckley cars back to 5th or 6th. Car getting really loose, brakes awful chatter, gear shift getting harder and harder to shift gears. By lap 8 I am up to 2nd and (way) behind Mark White in the Accumoto Cuba machine. Flux capacitor is at 1.21 jigawatts, all is great. Except the loose part. And the brakes. And the shifting. Blue and white Buckley cars all over me... I start practicing my E class championship speech for Sebring 2017 to keep my mind off the loose, the brakes, the shifter, and the white and blue bullets behind me. And then the teleprompter goes blank. Its stuck in 5th. I'm braking for Canada Corner and it won't come out of 5th. Its stuck in 5th. 5th?!?!?!??!?!?!?!??!?!?!? Zing, zing.... zing...zing.....zing, zing, the cars go by along with my acrylic dream.
Any time I start waxing nostalgic about buying an air cooled car so I can race in larger fields, etc, I will read this!
Old 09-06-2016, 09:47 PM
stujelly
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts

sorry to hear that clark. I watched you and machul slug it out for a while during sprint 2 until he spun. Watched from turn 5. You guys were hauling the mail.

the e class was so strong at road america

a really cool class especially the "pretty cars"
Old 09-06-2016, 10:16 PM
jdistefa
Rennlist Member

Received 534 Likes on 264 Posts

^ by "pretty" you mean Clarke's car, right?
Old 09-06-2016, 10:45 PM
GT3DE
Drifting

Accumoto has the pretty cars. My gosh they are gorgeous.

My self repair of disengaged tail light and bumper.

"You have more duct tape on your car than I have in my trailer." - Niels M
Attached Images   

Last edited by GT3DE; 09-07-2016 at 12:54 AM.
Old 09-06-2016, 10:50 PM
GT3DE
Drifting

I hung out some with The Buckley Gang. Great group of guys. Jim, Wiggins, Heptig and Niels. Fantastic drivers that really really enjoy racing closely matched E cars, really really closely! The battles never ended, lap after lap.

Thanks Jim for helping diagnos my trans. Unfortunately unfixable before the enduro. Needs a rebuild. Again. Exact repeat of last year (trans broke in Sprint 2, no enduro).
Old 09-06-2016, 11:13 PM
RJFabCab
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Clark, that is one hilarious recap. The Accumoto cars were the schiznit and the display machinery was impressive!

Thanks to all the workers and volunteers. The weather and racing were terrific!
Old 09-07-2016, 12:53 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,674 Likes on 776 Posts

Funny stuff, bittersweet as i had a car with My name ON it under the Accumoto tent but couldnt make it.

Quick Reply: Road America!