Sponsored by:

up coming track days

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2016, 06:58 PM
walkabout
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default up coming track days

In a few weeks I will be attending a two day DE event with the local Porsche club. I have done 4 or 5 other track days with these folks, this year in my 991S. For this up coming event i will be driving my 991 Turbo which I recently purchased.

The obvious differences are the increase in power, all wheel drive and the rear axel steering. So my question is what differences can I expect on the track with the rear wheel steering and all wheel drive?

My initial impression after very limited street driving is that the initial turn in is quicker and more precise which should require me to be more patient on turn and not over steer.
I would be interested in your suggestions.

Don
Old 08-23-2016, 07:33 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,415 Likes on 756 Posts

All wheel drive and the additional weight of the Turbo would normally mean the car would understeer (push) even worse. However, the rear wheel steering will counter that and yeah, as you said, turn in should be fantastic. And the all wheel drive should make the car really launch like a Saturn V out of the corners. I'd keep all your safety and stability systems on as you learn the car.
Old 08-23-2016, 09:52 PM
walkabout
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Veloce Raptor, thanks for your response. At my level of skill/experience I always keep the electronic aids on.

A further question: On my 991 S I have been maintaining tire pressures of 34F and 38 R, Hot. Adjusted immediately after each track session. Would running different hot tire pressures on the turbo minimize the potential understeer?

Thanks again for you comments. I have learned from and enjoyed you sage advise on this forum.

Don
Old 08-23-2016, 10:09 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,415 Likes on 756 Posts

Thank you for the kind words!

I would use the same pressures to start, and see how the car behaves. You might find there is less understeer than you expect. And then adjust from there. Have fun and congrats on a really nice car!

Quick Reply: up coming track days