991 GTS - Prep for Hallett?

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2016, 10:40 AM
Jnosol
Pro

Received 39 Likes on 19 Posts
Default 991 GTS - Prep for Hallett?

Hello guys,

I'm taking my 2015 911 GTS to Hallett, its first track event. I tracked BMWs in the past, but this is my first Porsche. Other than fluid change, what other prep would you recommend to enjoy the car on a track like Hallett? What PSI should I run to start with?

Note: My GTS has 3,500 miles on it. Oil changed at 1,500 miles. I don't have CL wheels. I usually bring a torque wrench, pressure gauge, and pump.

For your help, here's an awesome photo I took of her over the weekend.

Respectfully,
Jimmy
Attached Images  

Last edited by Jnosol; 08-23-2016 at 11:17 AM.
Old 08-23-2016, 10:48 AM
surlynkid
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Make sure your brake pads have plenty of meat on them. Remember you can only get 91 in OK. I bring a lot of 93. You can also bring some 100-104 and blend it in jugs with 91 at the pump. I think the track has 93, but I never paid attention to which grades they carry. Track gas is $$ though.
Old 08-23-2016, 10:53 AM
Jnosol
Pro

Originally Posted by surlynkid
Make sure your brake pads have plenty of meat on them. Remember you can only get 91 in OK. I bring a lot of 93. You can also bring some 100-104 and blend it in jugs with 91 at the pump. I think the track has 93, but I never paid attention to which grades they carry. Track gas is $$ though.
Good tip on the fuel situation. She only has 3,500 miles, so plenty of pads left. Thanks for the response.

Dumb question, does Octane boosters work? My trunk space will be limited to bring 40gal of fuel.
Old 08-23-2016, 10:54 AM
zedcat
Rennlist Member

Received 370 Likes on 267 Posts

Does the event organizer have a tech inspection requirement? I'd say just follow that. Do you have centerlock wheels? If so torque to spec using the recommended procedure and be sure to check the locks are fully engaged. Sometimes they stick in the unlocked position. Carrying jack, torque wrench etc to the track is a pain but need to do it to be safe.
Old 08-23-2016, 11:16 AM
Olemiss540
Rennlist Member

Received 284 Likes on 185 Posts

You going to the BMWCCA event first weekend in Sept? If so, see you there!

It is normally HOTTTT, so may want to flush fluid with a high performance fluid type (RPF600) and upgraded pad compounds to better handle the heat and short track configuration. Hallett can be BRUTAL on brakes with short straights and summer temps.

Otherwise, you have a heck of a car, and it is setup pretty damn well for HPDE! See you soon,
Old 08-23-2016, 11:20 AM
Jnosol
Pro

Originally Posted by zedcat
Does the event organizer have a tech inspection requirement? I'd say just follow that. Do you have centerlock wheels? If so torque to spec using the recommended procedure and be sure to check the locks are fully engaged. Sometimes they stick in the unlocked position. Carrying jack, torque wrench etc to the track is a pain but need to do it to be safe.
No CL. Yes, tech inspection will be done prior. Good tip on bringing a jack and tq wrench, thank you.

Originally Posted by Olemiss540
You going to the BMWCCA event first weekend in Sept? If so, see you there!

It is normally HOTTTT, so may want to flush fluid with a high performance fluid type (RPF600) and upgraded pad compounds to better handle the heat and short track configuration. Hallett can be BRUTAL on brakes with short straights and summer temps.

Otherwise, you have a heck of a car, and it is setup pretty damn well for HPDE! See you soon,
Yes, BMW CCA. That's my worry, some warned me the brakes requirement. It's such a short track it doesn't allow the brakes enough time to cool, so stock pads might fry. However, I haven't driven a 911 on a track before so I will focus on the basics (that means no trail braking, etc) and keeping the shiny side up.
Old 08-23-2016, 07:20 PM
Slakker
Rennlist Member

Received 260 Likes on 117 Posts

There's a guy with a '15 GT3 that's been at the last few Friday DE's at Hallet. He's stock all the way around and drives pretty aggressively and doesn't have any issues.

I assume you have Pilot Sport Cup 2 tires? I'll let others chime in but I would target 36psi all the way around. So start around 31 for the first session and adjust it first thing at the end of each session.

They do have 93 and better gas there but it is a little expensive.

I always take a 12v air compressor just so I don't have use the one in site to add air back at the end of day. Lowe's has a Kobalt that isn't real fast or accurate, but it lets you set the target PSI and will auto shutoff when you get to it.

One other item I take is window cleaner or wipes. But that's just because dirty windshields are a pet peace of mine.

Connie owns/runs the track and her son Scott runs the on premise race shop. Both are as good of people as you will find.

It's not really that small of a track but your GT3 will eat it up and make feel even smaller. You are going to have a blast! I know Jason from Warehouse 33 is also going to be there. I'm team roping in Arkansas all week and won't be able to make it unfortunately.
Old 08-23-2016, 07:31 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,359 Likes on 828 Posts

If you are a member of the KC PCA club I would contact some of the DE'ers/clubracers from there. They always have a good attendance at Hallett events and are very familiar with what is required.

Even if not, look someone up here.
Old 08-23-2016, 08:33 PM
Warehouse33.net
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Slakker
There's a guy with a '15 GT3 that's been at the last few Friday DE's at Hallet. He's stock all the way around and drives pretty aggressively and doesn't have any issues.

I assume you have Pilot Sport Cup 2 tires? I'll let others chime in but I would target 36psi all the way around. So start around 31 for the first session and adjust it first thing at the end of each session.

They do have 93 and better gas there but it is a little expensive.

I always take a 12v air compressor just so I don't have use the one in site to add air back at the end of day. Lowe's has a Kobalt that isn't real fast or accurate, but it lets you set the target PSI and will auto shutoff when you get to it.

One other item I take is window cleaner or wipes. But that's just because dirty windshields are a pet peace of mine.

Connie owns/runs the track and her son Scott runs the on premise race shop. Both are as good of people as you will find.

It's not really that small of a track but your GT3 will eat it up and make feel even smaller. You are going to have a blast! I know Jason from Warehouse 33 is also going to be there. I'm team roping in Arkansas all week and won't be able to make it unfortunately.
I don't know if I can make it now, my dad is entering his 62 Lotus Super 7 in the KC All British on that Sunday and I got to spend time with the pops. I did check to see if they would let me run just on Saturday and they said yes. I have until the 27th to decide.

-Jason
Old 08-23-2016, 09:24 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 258 Likes on 172 Posts

Run proper Pads
SRF brake fluid
decent alignment with corner balance.

If on Sport Cup tires, start the day at 22 cold. Should see them 32 front and 36 rear after sessions. (warm them up for a couple of laps before you put your foot into it)
Old 08-23-2016, 09:28 PM
Slakker
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Warehouse33.net
I don't know if I can make it now, my dad is entering his 62 Lotus Super 7 in the KC All British on that Sunday and I got to spend time with the pops. I did check to see if they would let me run just on Saturday and they said yes. I have until the 27th to decide. -Jason

That would be awesome to see. Cool Dad!

I've still got Iowa on my radar for a Friday in September if I get my car finished in time. I'll PM you if I think it's going to happen.
Old 08-24-2016, 01:47 AM
Jnosol
Pro

Thanks for the feedback, everyone. Looks like Hallett requires race pads, which I won't be able to get them in time + install by labor day weekend.
Old 08-24-2016, 07:53 AM
Slakker
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Jnosol
Thanks for the feedback, everyone. Looks like Hallett requires race pads, which I won't be able to get them in time + install by labor day weekend.
If you have any questions just call and talk to Connie. They didn't even do a tech inspection the last two DE days I went to. And the requirements are different for racing than they are for DE or HST as Hallet refers to it.
Old 08-24-2016, 10:28 AM
Jnosol
Pro

Originally Posted by Slakker
If you have any questions just call and talk to Connie. They didn't even do a tech inspection the last two DE days I went to. And the requirements are different for racing than they are for DE or HST as Hallet refers to it.
Thanks so much. Active forum, I love the responses.
Old 08-24-2016, 01:34 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,359 Likes on 828 Posts

Originally Posted by Jnosol
Order them from Clark at Apexperformance and install them yourself. Its not that hard. You have plenty of time.

Quick Reply: 991 GTS - Prep for Hallett?