Sponsored by:

Best Helmets for glasses

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2016, 03:58 PM
johneecatt
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mglobe
I think the better question to think about is which glasses work best with helmets. My experience has been that the best choices have straight or near straight temples that are fairly ridged, and that fit close to your head. Temples that curve around the ear or that flex too much are a royal pita with a helmet.
+1 For me it's got to be glasses on after helmet, so curved around the ear are out. Straight, rigid is good.
Old 07-24-2016, 08:11 AM
mlct
Racer

Received 89 Likes on 43 Posts

I agree on straight temples. Used Maui Jim's with a Bell M5 and now Liquid Eyewear with my Stilo which I do not rate as eyeglass friendly.

http://liquideyewear.com/
Old 07-24-2016, 11:03 PM
ynot3d
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did a Black Armor, full face. It has slots for glasses. I wear my regulars with a tinted visor.
Old 07-25-2016, 10:03 AM
Obturate
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by rlm328
Suck it up and get lazik. Did it about 4 years ago. One of my smarter decsions.

I don't believe Lasik can be performed multiple times. I had it done many years ago and would do it again if I could but have been advised against it. The main problem I have now is focusing on near objects.
Old 07-25-2016, 10:08 AM
Obturate
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Misdirection
I haven't ever had any trouble with my HJC Si-12. Nothing special as far as a helmet, but it gets the job done. I have my eye on a new Stilo, but I haven't tried it with glasses. Curious about others that might have the ST5?

I have a Stilo ST5 composite helmet and Oakley prescription glasses with bayonet temples and I feel the combination works well.
Old 07-25-2016, 02:14 PM
Plavan
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rlm328
Suck it up and get lazik. Did it about 4 years ago. One of my smarter decisions.
I'll do it once all the Doctors that perform LASIK don't wear glasses.....

In the mean time, Night & Day contact lenses that I wear for a month, and sleep in them, no need for LASIK for me. I highly recommend the Night and Day contact lenses, I have been wearing them for 20 years without one single problem that's with -6.0 ..... I'm blind without.
Old 07-25-2016, 08:56 PM
AlD
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

piling on late here...a few thoughts, most echo previous suggestions

1) ALWAYS optimize your helmet fit. helmet first, glasses second

2) if it's an option, a wide-eyeport helmet tends to be easier

3) you can (and should) remove the helmet cheekpieces and work a bit of a channel for the temple pieces; first, it makes it easier to put glasses on/off, and second, it keeps the helmet from putting pressure on them, which distorts the fit on your face.

4) you likely will need straight temples and, generally, smaller frames. I forgot who makes eyeglasses that find under football helmets, they look dorky but work great

5) I have had VERY good luck with Oakley frames and lenses

I had my current helmet custom fitted and it has provisions for me to wear glasses (99% of time I wear contacts, but I can use glasses, a set of Oakely sunglasses with clear lenses). Try and find some frames that are comfortable with your helmet, THEN wear the helmet and the glasses and go get your eye doctor to do the refraction. (sounds like overkill, but....)
Old 07-25-2016, 10:14 PM
Tom W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've used a couple different Arai helmets over the years. I have a GP-6 now but the GP-5W was probably the easiest for glasses use.

After over a dozen years driving with the helmet and glasses, I found the best aid in getting the glasses to work is to use a frame that's flexible. I love the IC Berlin frames as the frames flex and make inserting them into the helmet really easy and they are really, really thin so there is no added pressure from the cheek pads. I had the most difficulty with frames that were rigid plastic.
Old 07-26-2016, 03:16 AM
batmanm3
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom W
I've used a couple different Arai helmets over the years. I have a GP-6 now but the GP-5W was probably the easiest for glasses use.

After over a dozen years driving with the helmet and glasses, I found the best aid in getting the glasses to work is to use a frame that's flexible. I love the IC Berlin frames as the frames flex and make inserting them into the helmet really easy and they are really, really thin so there is no added pressure from the cheek pads. I had the most difficulty with frames that were rigid plastic.
+1 on IC Berlin frames...thin, flat temples that are straight so they slide in, but are flexible enough to follow the curve of your head and helmet.

I use mine with a HJC and Simpson Devil Ray...no problems with either.
Old 07-27-2016, 11:21 AM
TAI2
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Oakley makes a great set of frames that I found fit in any helmet I have tried on including the Stilo's. The frame can be used for regular or sun glasses. It is their "Conductor .5" line and I purchased mine at Pearl Vision. I hope this helps.
Old 08-21-2016, 05:10 PM
Gofishracing
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Modified Stilo Helmet- glasses now fit and more ambient sound when communicator not on. easier to put on. wasted some $$ but found the solution and it was inexpensive. Gonna miss 05 Stand 21 with removable washable pads & integrated communicator. Also no eye rub when taking helmet on & off like Stilo does. Nothing compares to Stand 21 to me. I should have waited. Disapointing purchase.

Quick Reply: Best Helmets for glasses