Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What else to change while upgrading LSD internals?

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2016, 06:13 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,122 Posts
Default What else to change while upgrading LSD internals?

I'm about to have my shop upgrade the LSD of my GT3 with Guard internals. Long overdue as the OEM LSD is probably long gone. What else is usually checked/replaced "while there"?
Old 07-09-2016, 11:13 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by hf1
I'm about to have my shop upgrade the LSD of my GT3 with Guard internals. Long overdue as the OEM LSD is probably long gone. What else is usually checked/replaced "while there"?
Check wear on the R&P. Also you might want to change the ramps. I went to 50/80....

Maybe open the case and replace any worn items like synchros, etc...
Old 07-10-2016, 02:34 PM
shizzle
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

I'm actually about to change the internals on my LSD to Guard as well. Chose to go with a 40/60 setup. While i'm at it, i'm going to change the clutch, pressure plate, flywheel and although not entirely related, all wheel hubs and bearings.

My clutch still has 40% life, but since it was never upgraded to the 4.0 kit, i'm just going to get it done all in one shot.
Old 07-10-2016, 07:01 PM
KevinGross
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 114 Posts

I'd chat with Matt Monson at Guard on the options for ramp angles (50/80, etc.), get his thoughts on which set makes best sense given the use you plan to make of it.

Otherwise, "while we're in there," it generally makes sense to take a look at the condition of the transmission bearings and synchros. In your car, this will require a little more disassembly. But given that your car's eleven years old, and assuming it hasn't sat in a garage most of its life, my take is that it's a good investment. Good luck!
Old 07-10-2016, 07:09 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Thanks guys! All useful stuff. Keep adding if you find anything missing.
Old 07-11-2016, 11:13 PM
Matt Lane
Rennlist Member

Received 191 Likes on 114 Posts

Assuming you are just doing the Guard plates (good idea), and keeping the stock differential housing, not sure how much there is to do 'while you're in there' - part of the beauty of this upgrade is that the original diff itself is plug and play, does not require any specialized and time consuming fitment, setting of backlash etc.

Checking transmission internals is a whole separate project. If yours is shifting well and has had good maintenance, perhaps something to defer until there is an actual need?

At least that's what I would do. Guess it depends on how much usage you have on your transmission already.

Cheers

Matt
Old 07-12-2016, 10:59 AM
serickson
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If this is just a street car then just have the shop rebuild the LSD. No need to change the ramps. I race my GT3 all I had done is replacement of disks with guards parts. Like Matt stated the transmission is a separate issue. If you are not grinding when shifting then leave as is. No need for additional expenses. Good luck.

Steve
Old 08-13-2016, 02:06 PM
snake eyes
Three Wheelin'

Received 363 Likes on 224 Posts

so many internet experts here,
I've had ZERO problems with my LSD on my 2010 C4s.
I simply followed porsches guidelines in the owners manual and have not installed (racing slicks) n the vehicle.

Lets all panic and buy aftermarket diffs...

What is more concerning is if I buy a vette it comes with a rear electronic DIFF standard.. If I buy a S or GTS 911 it does not.

BTW someone confused the electronic twin clutch 4wd with the mechanical locking diff. The 4s comes with an electronic twin clutch 4wd coupled to a mechanical locking diff (best of all worlds in my mind for a track car)
The 991 also does not have electronic diff.

All corvettes have electronic diffs now except the super base model.
Old 08-13-2016, 05:07 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Received 119 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by snake eyes
so many internet experts here,
I've had ZERO problems with my LSD on my 2010 C4s.
I simply followed porsches guidelines in the owners manual and have not installed (racing slicks) n the vehicle.

What is more concerning is if I buy a vette it comes with a rear electronic DIFF standard.. If I buy a S or GTS 911 it does not.

BTW someone confused the electronic twin clutch 4wd with the mechanical locking diff. The 4s comes with an electronic twin clutch 4wd coupled to a mechanical locking diff (best of all worlds in my mind for a track car)
The 991 also does not have electronic diff.

All corvettes have electronic diffs now except the super base model.
Your C4 actually has an Aisin gearbox and lsd. Believe it or not it is superior to the GKN LSD installed in the Getrag gearboxes in the GT3s. So your experience doesn't actually cross over to the guys with GT3s.
Old 08-14-2016, 09:39 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,807 Likes on 1,102 Posts

Originally Posted by snake eyes

I take it you have ZERO time in a 996 or 997 gt car with a worn stock diff. If you did or knew what you were referring to you'd not have posted this snarky comment.

Op: not much to do. Inspect rp inspect flange seals, cv, etc.
Old 08-15-2016, 04:40 PM
Aspen Autosports
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Spyerx
I take it you have ZERO time in a 996 or 997 gt car with a worn stock diff. If you did or knew what you were referring to you'd not have posted this snarky comment.

Op: not much to do. Inspect rp inspect flange seals, cv, etc.
+1 the trans doesn't come out so all you really can do is replace the seals. You can look at the wear on the ring and pinion and then decide if you need to do anything else. Chances are you will have it pulled out, rebuilt, and reinstalled, no more than 3-5 hours if the shop knows what they are doing.

Quick Reply: What else to change while upgrading LSD internals?