Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tow straps coming loose?

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2016, 05:38 PM
rlm328
Rennlist Member

Received 309 Likes on 206 Posts

I agree with not crossing your straps. I went on several sites and they all advised against primarily due to the reason if one of them fails then it will not stop movement in the direction it is supposed to be stopping. Straps due wear, may want to check yours. I run my through the wheels and have to stop to retighten them after about 15 miles of the car bouncing around, the straps pull the wheels around to a more optimal angle creating slack from the original attachment.

The again it could be that old timers disease is catching up with you.
Old 06-28-2016, 05:39 PM
sbelles
I'm in....
Rennlist Member

Received 260 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by LuigiVampa
I think you just freaked out most people on this thread.

I'm thinking the pressure is probably not enough to undo belts on its own, but if you did something wrong it could contribute.
It definitely is with wheel cradle straps. Ask me how I know...
Old 06-28-2016, 06:38 PM
TXE36
Drifting

Received 191 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by rlm328
I agree with not crossing your straps. I went on several sites and they all advised against primarily due to the reason if one of them fails then it will not stop movement in the direction it is supposed to be stopping. Straps due wear, may want to check yours. I run my through the wheels and have to stop to retighten them after about 15 miles of the car bouncing around, the straps pull the wheels around to a more optimal angle creating slack from the original attachment.

The again it could be that old timers disease is catching up with you.
To use the t-hooks, I have to cross the straps as the tie downs line up almost exactly with the tires. I like using the t-hooks and it usually never loosens up, even if it rains. VR used this setup for years before I got it from him. I've heard from others following me that the car doesn't move on the trailer at all.

One thing I found during this incident, is even with 3 straps, the car was still pretty fixed, but I didn't have any sudden stops either.

WRT old timers disease, I have to admit I was pretty tired after Chin. However, one of the few benefits of nearing 1/2 a century old is I am smart enough to prioritize properly loading and checking the trailer.

-Mike
Old 06-28-2016, 11:50 PM
Jimbo951
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TXE36
I'm not a believer in coincidents and the fact that the same strap that came loose had it's handle popped when I went to unload Monday morning has me spooked. I don't remember the state of the handle when I found the strap loose on the way home.
The little inner handle, the one you use to release the ratchet has a locking mechanism to keep the big handle from popping out. Once you have the ratchet fully tight, push the big handle all the way to collapse the ratchet close. When you do that, the smaller release handle should lift and lock in place. If you don't close the big handle all the way and then make sure the smaller handle is latched, then the ratchet can open.

Also, make sure you have at least 2 rounds of strapping in the ratchet. Its the strapping-to-strapping friction that does most of the work.

I remember watching "Ice Road Trucker" (ashamed to admit), and one of their policies was to check the strapping every 2 hours. Seems like a good policy. I usually stop within 1 hour after starting a trip. Then at every gas station, pits-stop or food stop, do a walk around of the trailer and physically check the straps.
Old 06-29-2016, 08:53 AM
Thundermoose
Burning Brakes

Received 103 Likes on 72 Posts
Default Tow straps coming loose?

I stopped using the t or j hooks on my E46 M3. May have been the straps but after having them come out two times I didn't want to chance it anymore. Best thing would be to get D rings permanently attached to car. I go through wheels and haven't had alignment issues but that tends to scare a lot of people.
Old 06-29-2016, 09:24 AM
dan212
Rennlist Member

Received 132 Likes on 93 Posts

I don't like using the factor hook points because they depend on tension to stay attached. So I use Rennline tow rings fore and aft.

All tie down straps age and stretch over time and need to be replaced. Tie down straps exposed to UV e.g. on an open trailer age even faster. To be fair, two years isn't ancient though. Depends on exposure.

You were:
  • Very, very lucky
  • Very smart to routinely check your car whenever you stop

Originally Posted by TXE36
I strap my car down to the trailer using the factory hook points and crossing the straps to the opposite corner tie downs on my open trailer. The factory hook points are located just behind the front wheels and just ahead of the rear wheels under the rocker panel. I use t-hooks that go into the factory slots. I've had this setup for almost 2 years.

I always check the trailer when I stop and have never found anything, until last Sunday. I tugged on a front strap and found it just a bit loose and upon walking back found one of the rear straps completely disconnected. The t-hook had completely come out of its slot and was just lying on the trailer. I know it was tight when I loaded the car. Fortunately the car hadn't moved at all - I'm just glad I didn't have to do a panic stop, as only one rear strap and the parking brake would have been holding the car. I put the t-hook back in, tightened the strap and noted to keep checking the trailer when I stop.

When I got home, that same strap was still tight, except the handle had pulled up from the locked position. I'm starting to think that these straps have a lifetime and maybe it's time for new ones.

Is this just a fluke after a long race weekend, or something bigger? One thing I recall, is I hit the bump and the exit of the tunnel at TWS faster than I should and I saw the roof of the car bounce pretty hard - is it possible I bounced it hard enough for the t-hook to disengage?

Thanks
-Mike
Old 06-29-2016, 09:45 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,616 Likes on 838 Posts

Originally Posted by Thundermoose
I stopped using the t or j hooks on my E46 M3. May have been the straps but after having them come out two times I didn't want to chance it anymore. Best thing would be to get D rings permanently attached to car. I go through wheels and haven't had alignment issues but that tends to scare a lot of people.
In all the years I towed that car, i never ever had one of those hooks come loose. They are stupid simple and worked every single time. Which is why they are how the factory ties down cars.
Old 06-29-2016, 10:22 AM
mrbill_fl
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts

fwiw, I use chains on the rear, cut to length w/ hooks , straps on the front, and a safety chain on the front.

the chains stop the car where I want it, then I get out and put the straps on the fronts. safety chain is somewhat loose. but has a captive 'dog' for the hook.

-similar product
http://www.walmart.com/ip/48360190?w...132769&veh=sem
Old 06-29-2016, 10:28 AM
Thundermoose
Burning Brakes

Received 103 Likes on 72 Posts
Default Tow straps coming loose?

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
In all the years I towed that car, i never ever had one of those hooks come loose. They are stupid simple and worked every single time. Which is why they are how the factory ties down cars.
A lot of people have this experience but there a few of us that didn't. Probably the straps in my case. I also don't have a parking brake if that matters. The funny thing is that I always had a hard time getting the darned things out on my own. Also E46 and E36 may be slightly different. Bottom line is do what works for you. I think d rings permanently attached to the chassis would be the best, coupled with snap hooks.
Old 06-29-2016, 10:37 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,616 Likes on 838 Posts

You're right, the E46 may indeed be different. And when I stripped & caged my E36, I made sure to retain the e-brake for just this reason. I never wanted to leave it in gear on the trailer to avoid any chance of damaging the transmission.
Old 06-29-2016, 10:41 AM
John H
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 68 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by mrbill_fl
fwiw, I use chains on the rear, cut to length w/ hooks , straps on the front, and a safety chain on the front.

the chains stop the car where I want it, then I get out and put the straps on the fronts. safety chain is somewhat loose. but has a captive 'dog' for the hook.

-similar product
I have chains for the front and use the rachet and straps to pull the car backwards to tighten the chains. So far so good. I think I'll add a safety chain in the rear though after reading this thread.
Old 06-29-2016, 12:31 PM
TXE36
Drifting

Received 191 Likes on 128 Posts

Since I bought the car with the trailer, I've never researched how to tie it down. VR showed me how to do it when I picked it up and frankly, the technique has been simple, fast, and effective. I'm guessing the straps are at least 5 years old.

I think I figured out what happened. I have since read several references to check the T-hooks after tensioning to make sure they are not about to fall out. The t-hooks rely on the crossed straps to stay engaged as they need an eighth of turn to keep from dropping out. I have had the hooks fall out during tensioning. It makes sense that a hook could rotate to fall through the hole, but have enough tension to not actually drop out during the tensioning process. Think of holding a tape measure using tension and the hook at the end - it works but it isn't real stable. One good bump would be enough to get it to drop. I've never checked the t-hooks after tensioning. The probability of tightening the hook enough for it not to drop out during tensioning without being rotated properly is low - most of the time it just falls out. Adding a final t-hook check would eliminate this risk.

New straps, and a check of the t-hooks after tensioning should solve the problem. For belts and suspenders, I could use two of the old straps on the tow hooks as backup.

From my research, the t-hook cross strap method is the preferred method for E36/E46 BMWs.

-Mike
Old 06-29-2016, 01:36 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 4,158 Likes on 1,850 Posts

Originally Posted by mrbill_fl

-similar product
Originally Posted by John H
I have chains for the front and use the rachet and straps to pull the car backwards to tighten the chains. So far so good. I think I'll add a safety chain in the rear though after reading this thread.
Chain in the rear is probably the most important if you have to stop short, or worse, you get into an accident.

I chain my car fore and aft and than strap it down.

I have once or twice had a strap looser than I could have wished, but they have never come undone.

With chains if everything goes to hell they will still hold the car in place.
Old 06-29-2016, 01:52 PM
mrbill_fl
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts

^1+ -not sure why you'd chain the fronts vs rears.... (unless backing on trl?)

-Because of the angle, (or something), my rear chains are not exactly the same tightness. one is under load (and stopped the car) and the other is fairly tight.

-probably the car is not perfectly centered, side to side...

also I don't cross anything. so far so good...
Old 06-29-2016, 02:09 PM
John H
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 68 Likes on 48 Posts

I have to chain the fronts due to the built in D-ring placement. Not a long enough lead for a ratchet.

Quick Reply: Tow straps coming loose?