Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Track car

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2016, 02:05 AM
MoD
Instructor

Received 46 Likes on 15 Posts

Let me lend one more bit of food for thought. If you begin to modify your car for the track and you build a really stiff suspension with solid everything, stiff springs, and shocks like (MCS, JRZ, Motons etc) you run the risk of things breaking easy on unforgiving streets. I think I am probably one of the last people who truly club raced their street car somewhat successfully. From 06-08 I was club racing a J stock 996 GT3 (it was even a B car before the letters got switched around). The car had AC, full interior, and was daily driven. I also club raced it a lot. It was kinda neat sitting in the pits with my radio playing and AC on waiting to go out. However, I ended up hitting a series of potholes going about 75-80mph here in Chicago, something in the suspension broke and the car snapped around on me. I hit a curb and rolled the car into a tree..... One second I was going straight, the next second I was rolled over on the side of the road thankful to be alive.

It was quite a learning moment for me. It is ok to have a street/track car if you are doing a couple events a year like some folks have said, but if you start to modify the car to be a true track car (especially when you start to play with the suspension a lot) you should probably stop driving it on the street and make it a track only car (or sell it and buy a dedicated track car). Now my track toy is only that, a track car. Just some food for thought from someone who went very extreme with the street/track car thing and almost got himself killed!
Old 06-28-2016, 02:26 AM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 507 Likes on 338 Posts
Default Mo's experience...

Horrifying.

Quick Reply: Track car