Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What makes a great racecar?

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2016, 11:51 PM
Racer

Received 295 Likes on 122 Posts
Default What makes a great race car...

Reliability. Fast, easy to drive. Factory support.

G Dyer
Old 06-14-2016, 03:33 AM
ace37
Rennlist Member

Received 134 Likes on 84 Posts

I appreciate all the input!

I live in Utah, so Miller Motorsports Park (now Utah Motorsports Campus) is local and I'm six hours from Vegas. I'm about ten hours from everything else. We just started a family, so I can't make that happen often. I can get to the local track about every month though. NASA runs monthly and PCA does monthly DEs and one race a year. A few groups rent out the track for test days so I can pay for time, but that doesn't buy competition. If I want to race locally, it's pretty much down to what shows up for NASA events.

Based on the NASA season points and timeslips, the per-event turnouts for the first three events this year are approximately:
P/W classes:
GTS2 - 2-3 cars
GTS3+ST3 - 4
GTS4+ST2 - 2
GTS5+ST1 - 2-5, varied quite a bit
GTSU+SU - 4-9

I grouped the GTS and ST classes as they are pretty comparable overall. PT is pretty empty and I'd go with a spec class over it anyway. Checking the times, I found that the unlimited groups really have a slow and a fast speed tier within the class, and the ST1/GTS5 cars run similar times to the fast unlimited cars.

Spec classes:
SM - 3-9, typically about five cars
Spec Z - 9-16, locally this is where the most action is. I don't really want one, but I like the size of the fields.
SPB, 944, most others - 0-1. I could always run GTS/ST.

In practical terms, they have a fast and a slow run group with a median difference of about 10-20 seconds per lap.
Lightning Group (GTS2,PTB,PTE,SM) - also the SPB
Thunder Group (GTS4,GTSU,SpecZ,ST1,SU)

Based on that, I basically have to choose between Spec Z, Spec Miata, and running a power to weight class. I'm not in love with either of those spec cars, but the power to weight classes really leave things open, which is a blessing and a curse. That's why I was looking for opinions on what makes it fun.

I'm wondering if the best approach is less about which car and more about getting anything that fits my budget and (1) I like the idea of racing in, (2) has 3-5+ close competitors at most races, and (3) wouldn't be hard to resell for some acceptable price. That way if I love it, great, and if not I can easily sell it and change classes after getting my feet wet for a few years. In that vein, a SPB or a simpler Cayman race car might make a lot of sense.
Old 06-14-2016, 10:54 AM
z06801
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ace37
I appreciate all the input!

I live in Utah, so Miller Motorsports Park (now Utah Motorsports Campus) is local and I'm six hours from Vegas. I'm about ten hours from everything else. We just started a family, so I can't make that happen often. I can get to the local track about every month though. NASA runs monthly and PCA does monthly DEs and one race a year. A few groups rent out the track for test days so I can pay for time, but that doesn't buy competition. If I want to race locally, it's pretty much down to what shows up for NASA events.

Based on the NASA season points and timeslips, the per-event turnouts for the first three events this year are approximately:
P/W classes:
GTS2 - 2-3 cars
GTS3+ST3 - 4
GTS4+ST2 - 2
GTS5+ST1 - 2-5, varied quite a bit
GTSU+SU - 4-9

I grouped the GTS and ST classes as they are pretty comparable overall. PT is pretty empty and I'd go with a spec class over it anyway. Checking the times, I found that the unlimited groups really have a slow and a fast speed tier within the class, and the ST1/GTS5 cars run similar times to the fast unlimited cars.

Spec classes:
SM - 3-9, typically about five cars
Spec Z - 9-16, locally this is where the most action is. I don't really want one, but I like the size of the fields.
SPB, 944, most others - 0-1. I could always run GTS/ST.

In practical terms, they have a fast and a slow run group with a median difference of about 10-20 seconds per lap.
Lightning Group (GTS2,PTB,PTE,SM) - also the SPB
Thunder Group (GTS4,GTSU,SpecZ,ST1,SU)

Based on that, I basically have to choose between Spec Z, Spec Miata, and running a power to weight class. I'm not in love with either of those spec cars, but the power to weight classes really leave things open, which is a blessing and a curse. That's why I was looking for opinions on what makes it fun.

I'm wondering if the best approach is less about which car and more about getting anything that fits my budget and (1) I like the idea of racing in, (2) has 3-5+ close competitors at most races, and (3) wouldn't be hard to resell for some acceptable price. That way if I love it, great, and if not I can easily sell it and change classes after getting my feet wet for a few years. In that vein, a SPB or a simpler Cayman race car might make a lot of sense.
At UMC (Miller) spec Z is the place to be for close racing and big fields, I would consider it myself if I was changing cars. Tatum racing has built a couple of Spec Boxsters that you could rent to see if you like them. Our thunder group is looking a more like PWC GT, I'm in ST1 and at the next event when I start running again we should have 5 cars, a small group but should be pretty tight racing. Side note my friend blew his spec z motor in Friday's practice but a replacement is only 1500.00-2600.00 which is nice to know.

Last edited by z06801; 06-15-2016 at 06:45 PM.
Old 06-14-2016, 12:56 PM
tkerrmd
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

best quality of a race car for the most fun is one word…reliability, the rest is gravy
Old 06-14-2016, 03:05 PM
Fumes
Racer

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts

AC
Old 06-15-2016, 06:02 PM
sugarwood
Pro

Received 31 Likes on 18 Posts

What rollbar extender is the most common to make a Boxster track legal?
Old 06-15-2016, 07:08 PM
JCP911S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Money.

I quote...

"Speed costs money... how much money ya' got son?"
Old 06-15-2016, 08:17 PM
Olemiss540
Rennlist Member

Received 287 Likes on 187 Posts

The person behind the wheel. Oh. And money.
Old 06-15-2016, 10:47 PM
gobuffs
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

It's more the people than the car. Find the group of people you want to race with then find the class you want to run in. The car decision sorts itself out.

Quick Reply: What makes a great racecar?