Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need help with spirings and perch sizing

Old 06-11-2016, 08:46 AM
Spinout
Addict
Rennlist Member

Picked up a set of rebuilt Motons in March and have finally collected all the bits to have the installed this week on my 996 C2 while I'm out of town on vacation. I got word from my tech yesterday the inner diameter of all 4 springs is approx 2 mm too small to fit the Moton spring perches the ID of the springs is 58-59 mm while the OD of the perches are 60mm. The perches will not fit within the spring diameter. See attached photos. The springs in question are 800/1000 6" that were provided with the coilovers but not originally mounted to them. So...., not knowing a whole lot about this, is there a trick to get them to fit or do I need to purchase new springs (or perches)? If I need to purchase new springs, can anyone recommend a source? Better yet, if someone has a set they'd like to sell, me, let me know as my car is apart until I get this sorted with my tech.

Last edited by Spinout; 06-13-2016 at 03:45 PM.
Old 06-12-2016, 09:11 AM
Spinout
Addict
Rennlist Member

Bump. I would appreciate anyone's help in getting this figured out...
Old 06-12-2016, 02:10 PM
winders
Addict
Rennlist Member

It would appear the perches you have are designed for 60mm (metric) springs while you are trying to use 2.25" (57.15mm) springs.

You either need new/modified perches or 60mm springs. Do a search here for people that support Moton dampers. They should be able to tell you if you have an option in regards to perches.
Old 06-13-2016, 10:57 AM
Aspen Autosports
Former Vendor

Scott is correct here.

You will either need new metric springs or you will need new perches. Those spring rates sound a bit heavy anyhow so you might be happier with a different spring set up.
Old 06-13-2016, 01:37 PM
Cory M
Addict
Rennlist Member

It's probably faster and easier to get new springs in the rates you want, plus you can sell the 2.25" ones.
Old 06-13-2016, 03:48 PM
Spinout
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks to those who have explained the issue I'm having. I emailed my tech to contact ANZE Engineering (I'm currently abroad and int'l cell rates will kill me) and get the proper springs. I'll drop down to 600/800 being I'm now buying new.
Old 06-13-2016, 04:22 PM
XPC5
User

I have a set of 60mm that came with my used motons that may work to get you started. 628/970 with helpers and couplers.
https://rennlist.com/forums/parts-ma...d-helpers.html

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Need help with spirings and perch sizing

Contact Us About Us Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: