Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How often do you replace your trailer tires? How about the spare tire(s)?

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2016, 02:07 PM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts
Default How often do you replace your trailer tires? How about the spare tire(s)?

Time to replace mine, which are 4 years old. Goodyear Marathon D rated which have served me well.
- How often do you replace yours?
- Are you located in the sunbelt (I am in New England)?
- Do you replace your spare(s) at the same time (my spare just blew out)?
- Would you buy a Goodyear Marathon D rated tire or a Power King Towmax E rated tire (ignore price; only interested in longevity)
- Do you cover your tires against sun damage?
Thanks - would like to reduce the frequency of tire failures. They happen at the most awkward times and places. My latest was in the Adirondacks late at night with minimal cell service.
Old 05-30-2016, 02:14 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,801 Likes on 1,655 Posts

Rick, you're already taking the best step to prevent untoward and unscheduled failures on the road by adopting this proactive policy.

I just did the same thing, replaced my Marathons with TowMax one load range higher after four years. That's the recommended interval. I live in a hot place and do not cover the tires, although I will with the new ones. See you soon!
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 05-30-2016, 02:27 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by RickBetterley
Time to replace mine, which are 4 years old. Goodyear Marathon D rated which have served me well.
- Would you buy a Goodyear Marathon D rated tire or a Power King Towmax E rated tire (ignore price; only interested in longevity)
Thanks - would like to reduce the frequency of tire failures. They happen at the most awkward times and places. My latest was in the Adirondacks late at night with minimal cell service.
Now, this is good advice . those trailer tires get weak and are pretty cheaply made, especially the bias ply style which came with my open trailer. the can look good, but 5-7 years old on the trailer, sitting in the heat, makes them weak. I was running up to thunderhill and fortunately , 10miles from home, one blew out.. 4 wheel trailers cant ride on one tire, so it ground that tire down to a pulp , and scuffed up the rim a lot trying to get it to a gas station. HUGE inconvenience. ruined the race weekend. Most tire stores dont have that kind of tire in stock. went to the trailer store the next day and just bought 4 rims and tires already mounted . kept the other 3 for spares. I carry 2 for long trips and one for the short ones. this is 2 years ago.
So, as far as trailer tires go, i think you should replace them every 5 years. (you know me.. ill probably go 6-7. and ALWAYS carry a spare! I cover the tires in the backyard now too. I went to radials (Towmaster Trailer Tadials) from the bias ply cheapo that came on the trailer ST5000s .

interesting that the new radial trailer tire pressure is 50psi too.
Old 05-30-2016, 02:35 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 3,242 Likes on 1,576 Posts

Originally Posted by RickBetterley
I have replaced them every 3 - 4 years. Experienced a blow out at speed on the NJ Turnpike a bunch of years ago and DO NOT want to experience that again. Although it was far from an "almost" it was not a good feeling so I view it as cheap insurance to get new tires before they are well and truly needed..

I do not replace the spares at the same time and let them go a lot longer. Mine are inside the trailer protected from the weather and sun. I inspect them for dry rot and pressure from time to time. I carry two because if you run over something there is a good chance you take out both on the same side.

Goodyear Marathon.

I have the covers but use them about 25% of the time during the summer but they are on for the whole winter.

I also have a drive on trailer ramp. Instead of worrying about jacking up the trailer you place the ramp under the tire that is still inflated and drive up leaving the other one suspended.

Amazon.com: Trailer Aid Tandem Tire Changing Ramp, Black: Automotive Amazon.com: Trailer Aid Tandem Tire Changing Ramp, Black: Automotive

My rule is I consider the safety of my trailer equipment equal to the safety in my race car. At speed a failure in either can be dangerous.
Old 05-30-2016, 02:46 PM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 802 Likes on 491 Posts

Proactive replacement every 3-4 years is the way to go. Also, meticulous monitoring of pressures before each tow is important.

Trailer tires ALWAYS blow out at night, in the rain where there is no shoulder on the highway or cell service
Old 05-30-2016, 02:52 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 761 Likes on 499 Posts

We run the Towmax and replace them about every 4 years. They still have a ton of tread, but it cheap insurance like others have said. We do the spare at the same time. We also cover the spare all the time and cover the trailer tires when it's sitting.
Old 05-30-2016, 02:52 PM
niche
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

This may be a dumb question. Can't you just use good truck tires instead of trailer tires? Trailer tires seem to blow all the time.
Old 05-30-2016, 02:56 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,310 Likes on 796 Posts

Originally Posted by niche
This may be a dumb question. Can't you just use good truck tires instead of trailer tires? Trailer tires seem to blow all the time.
LT tires may not be available in the needed sizes. Bigger sizes may cause loading angle issues.
Old 05-30-2016, 03:00 PM
pmason
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Changed mine at the 5 year mark, also upgraded the tire to the next load rating too.
Old 05-30-2016, 03:02 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

going to radials, did that help my situation for risk? why bias ply vs radials. the tires seem much more durable , but that is just the appearance .
my question is the same.... is the trailer tire a special type of tire? why not just a tire of similar size?
Old 05-30-2016, 03:02 PM
rnh204
Pro

Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

I just swapped mine out at 3 years with maxxis tires. Supposedly they're one of the better ones, certainly more money than the comparable good years.

Discount tire direct has a $160 rebate off trailer tires this weekend assuming you use their credit card, if you're due for a change it might make sense.

I thought about going with LT tires but that would require new rims, and I worry about screwing up the height / offsets with a new wheel combo.

If someone has done it with an enclosed trailex I'd love to hear what they went with.
Old 05-30-2016, 03:03 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by LuigiVampa
I

I also have a drive on trailer ramp. Instead of worrying about jacking up the trailer you place the ramp under the tire that is still inflated and drive up leaving the other one suspended.

Amazon.com: Trailer Aid Tandem Tire Changing Ramp, Black: Automotive

My rule is I consider the safety of my trailer equipment equal to the safety in my race car. At speed a failure in either can be dangerous.
thats a great little device .. illl have to get one of those!
thanks for posting
Old 05-30-2016, 03:55 PM
linzman
Rennlist Member

Received 76 Likes on 40 Posts

There's a great explanation on discount tire. Here's the link

http://m.discounttire.com/dtcs/infoTrailerTireFacts.do

And here's their take on ST tires

Why Use An "ST" Tire
"ST" tires feature materials and construction to meet the higher load requirements and demands of trailering.
The polyester cords are bigger than they would be for a comparable "P" or "LT" tire.
The steel cords have a larger diameter and greater tensile strength to meet the additional load requirements.
"ST" tire rubber compounds contain more chemicals to resist weather and ozone cracking.
Old 05-30-2016, 04:30 PM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts

Thanks everyone for your input.
PETER and MATT - did you go with TowMax for the higher load rating (E instead of D)? The price is lower but that's not a priority for me on this purchase.
Old 05-30-2016, 05:06 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 761 Likes on 499 Posts

Judy and I went with the Towmax for 2 reasons - 1. The guy at the RV place (the people who use the most tires like these) suggested them as almost equal to the Goodyear for a much lower price 2. We figured for the money saved we could just replace them more often. We got ours at VIP for a really reasonable price.

Quick Reply: How often do you replace your trailer tires? How about the spare tire(s)?