Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How often do you replace your trailer tires? How about the spare tire(s)?

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2016, 05:24 PM
ELange0322
Rennlist Member

Received 253 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by rnh204
I just swapped mine out at 3 years with maxxis tires. Supposedly they're one of the better ones, certainly more money than the comparable good years.

Discount tire direct has a $160 rebate off trailer tires this weekend assuming you use their credit card, if you're due for a change it might make sense.

I thought about going with LT tires but that would require new rims, and I worry about screwing up the height / offsets with a new wheel combo.

If someone has done it with an enclosed trailex I'd love to hear what they went with.
Would love to know this also. I have a 20" enclosed Trailex which has 14" rims and I replaced all 4 tires and the spare with Maxxis tires about 18 months ago. The thought of a blow out while towing concerns me, not to mention what Rick went thru with his recent tire failure and trying to get that sorted. I was considering getting 15" light truck rims and tires for the increased durability, but think that Trailex doesn't recommend. Would love to know if anyone has the experience of the switch as I would consider for the safety aspect alone (Rick has mentored me well).
Old 05-30-2016, 05:45 PM
wanna911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I run maxxis E-rated tires bought in late 2012. Going to replace them this winter. 4 years is enough. Will probably keep the old ones as spares for another year or 2.
Old 05-30-2016, 05:47 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,340 Likes on 1,895 Posts

Originally Posted by RickBetterley
Thanks everyone for your input.
PETER and MATT - did you go with TowMax for the higher load rating (E instead of D)? The price is lower but that's not a priority for me on this purchase.
Rick, my dealer (who sells a LOT of trailer tires and is a dealer for both) recommended them and I like the idea of more plies and better heat dissipation that the higher load rated tires provide.

My spare is inside and I do not change it on the same schedule. I do check pressures on all five religiously...
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 05-30-2016, 06:09 PM
John H
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 70 Likes on 50 Posts

I don't like light truck tires on a trailer. My personal experience coming from buying a trailer them on it, I blew three on the way to Watkins Glen the first time out. The second and third happened at the same time and resulted in me buying 6 new trailer tires to have two spares on board. I don't think they can handle the load personally.
Old 05-30-2016, 06:11 PM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by ProCoach
Rick, my dealer (who sells a LOT of trailer tires and is a dealer for both) recommended them and I like the idea of more plies and better heat dissipation that the higher load rated tires provide.

My spare is inside and I do not change it on the same schedule. I do check pressures on all five religiously...
That works for me; I'll talk to my trailer guys and get my hands on 4 (or more).
Not unhappy with the Goodyear, but like the higher load rating.
Old 05-30-2016, 06:13 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by rnh204
I just swapped mine out at 3 years with maxxis tires. Supposedly they're one of the better ones, certainly more money than the comparable good years.

Discount tire direct has a $160 rebate off trailer tires this weekend assuming you use their credit card, if you're due for a change it might make sense.

I thought about going with LT tires but that would require new rims, and I worry about screwing up the height / offsets with a new wheel combo.

If someone has done it with an enclosed trailex I'd love to hear what they went with.
I started a thread several years back when my 2.5 YO D load Maxxis's started delaminating. The entire thread is worth reading but starting on post #17 J. Richard out of Arizona brought up his decision to switch to 16" LT tires and the thread became educational.

I have several friends who now use the 16" LT tires with enclosed trailers and all talk about their peace of mind going down the road. When my replacement Maxxis E-loads turn 3 years old I'll probably make that switch....

https://rennlist.com/forums/racing-a...es-go-bad.html
Old 05-30-2016, 06:36 PM
Sboxin
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jrgordonsenior
I started a thread several years back when my 2.5 YO D load Maxxis's started delaminating. The entire thread is worth reading but starting on post #17 J. Richard out of Arizona brought up his decision to switch to 16" LT tires and the thread became educational.

I have several friends who now use the 16" LT tires with enclosed trailers and all talk about their peace of mind going down the road. When my replacement Maxxis E-loads turn 3 years old I'll probably make that switch....

Thanks JR for bringing up Jim's tire comments on LT truck tires - - we switched a few years ago and also use tire pressure monitors - - no problems out here in the hot-as-hell desert pavement - - just returned from a 1500 mile haul to Northern Nevada without worrying about tire failure.
GMC 2500 HD 24' Haulmark enclosed trailer (old heavy one) . . . Bridgestone Duravis 16" tires

Regards,
Old 05-30-2016, 06:37 PM
linzman
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by ELange0322
Would love to know this also. I have a 20" enclosed Trailex which has 14" rims and I replaced all 4 tires and the spare with Maxxis tires about 18 months ago. The thought of a blow out while towing concerns me, not to mention what Rick went thru with his recent tire failure and trying to get that sorted. I was considering getting 15" light truck rims and tires for the increased durability, but think that Trailex doesn't recommend. Would love to know if anyone has the experience of the switch as I would consider for the safety aspect alone (Rick has mentored me well).
Read the link above, truck tires (LT) not really recommended by the tire dealer. Not really meant to carry the same load, etc.
Old 05-30-2016, 06:43 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by linzman
Read the link above, truck tires (LT) not really recommended by the tire dealer. Not really meant to carry the same load, etc.
Disinformation. Nothing in your link states that. All it says is "The polyester cords are bigger than they would be for a comparable "P" or "LT" tire". So what, the guys that go down the road most use them...
Old 05-30-2016, 06:49 PM
John H
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 70 Likes on 50 Posts

Primer on LT versus ST

Another
Old 05-30-2016, 06:50 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,340 Likes on 1,895 Posts

Originally Posted by John H
^^This^^

Pay attention to these pressure settings for the particular speed that you intend to travel...
Old 05-30-2016, 06:59 PM
ELange0322
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by linzman
I seem to recall that was part of the same argument when I inquired before getting the Maxxis tires as replacements... Just doesn't make much sense though. I'm no structural engineer, but the trailer tire looks pretty thin. With a 2500 lb trailer and call it a 3000 lb car, I'll be conservative and call 6000 lbs. That means each tire is carrying 1500 lbs. I woulda thought a truck tire could handle that. Said differently, how can what looks like a skimpy trailer tire carry more load than a bit larger truck tire ? (Not being argumentative, just honestly trying to understand - thank you !)
Old 05-30-2016, 07:00 PM
ELange0322
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by John H
Thanks all - reading all these links now.
Old 05-30-2016, 07:17 PM
ELange0322
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jrgordonsenior

Yes - this is the link I was reading when I bought my last set of Maxxis. Seemed to make sense to go with the truck tire, but there was enough "noise in the system" about what to do that I stayed with the trailer tire.

Rick - sorry if hijacked your thread a bit...but all in the name of safety. . What size are your rims ? I've got 14s and want the best tire possible.
Old 05-30-2016, 08:06 PM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts

Hi Erik
No hijack noticed; its all about the safetly.
15" but my rig is a fair amount heavier than yours, isn't it? I'm 6,500 lbs or so.

Quick Reply: How often do you replace your trailer tires? How about the spare tire(s)?