Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Newbie unhappy with PCA DEs

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2016, 09:59 AM
jlanka
Drifting

Received 78 Likes on 39 Posts

You need to tell all of this to the chief instructor. Their job is to make sure all students are happy and they will work out whatever issues come up. I'm good friends with the chief instructor of my region (Bill Rudtner) and thats what he does well.
Old 05-27-2016, 10:00 AM
aalencar
Rennlist Member

Received 124 Likes on 82 Posts

Thanks very much everyone for the great feedback. I did not complain about instructor #2 but did do so after the first day of instructor #3. They were willing to change but I just felt it might have been me. The second day was worse and the rest is history. I did a very poor review after the event and they offered me to come back with 50% discount. I have not returned because I feel I don't fit with this club and in the end it will be all the same. I will definitely give other clubs a try. I will also try other PCA regions. I had not thought of that and going away from south Florida may indeed make things better.

Nobody has mentioned Skip Barber or Porsche Driving School. You dont think it is time (and money) well spent at this point?

Last, to clarify the instructor #3 messing with PDK - he changed to manual and kept confusing up/down and up/downshift. I assume because his cup car had it set up the more traditional way. But that was not what upset me the most. What upset me was that he used the whole 25 minutes of my session! He should not need more than 1 or 2 laps to prove me a point or show "how good he was."
Old 05-27-2016, 10:03 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,417 Likes on 758 Posts

Originally Posted by aalencar
Thanks very much everyone for the great feedback. I did not complain about instructor #2 but did do so after the first day of instructor #3. They were willing to change but I just felt it might have been me. The second day was worse and the rest is history. I did a very poor review after the event and they offered me to come back with 50% discount. I have not returned because I feel I don't fit with this club and in the end it will be all the same. I will definitely give other clubs a try. I will also try other PCA regions. I had not thought of that and going away from south Florida may indeed make things better.

Nobody has mentioned Skip Barber or Porsche Driving School. You dont think it is time (and money) well spent at this point?

Last, to clarify the instructor #3 messing with PDK - he changed to manual and kept confusing up/down and up/downshift. I assume because his cup car had it set up the more traditional way. But that was not what upset me the most. What upset me was that he used the whole 25 minutes of my session! He should not need more than 1 or 2 laps to prove me a point or show "how good he was."
That's a real pity. And also a pity you won't give them another chance.
Old 05-27-2016, 10:08 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 3,799 Likes on 2,197 Posts

But that was not what upset me the most. What upset me was that he used the whole 25 minutes of my session! He should not need more than 1 or 2 laps to prove me a point or show "how good he was."
Normal PCA practice is to drive the student's car one run group higher, at a pace appropriate for that group, for just a few laps unless the student prefers more laps. But students aren't required to allow instructors to drive their cars, nor are instructors required to drive the student's car.

BTW, Chin does a lot of events in Florida.
Old 05-27-2016, 10:08 AM
aalencar
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
That's a real pity. And also a pity you won't give them another chance.
I know. Their events include Homestead and Sebring. I haven't clicked much with the folks but would love to run on their solo group that seems to flow well. And hopefully one day super solo. Maybe I will venture around other clubs for a while and give them a chance later in the year - next Sebring is not until September anyways - when I have more seat time.
Old 05-27-2016, 10:11 AM
Pcargirl31
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm a PCA Instructor and also instruct for NCM/National Corvette Museum. You shouldn't give up on the sport, and honestly before I became an instructor I had some bonehead people in the right seat. The point is, you really need to ask for another instructor but also have a discussion with the chief instructor about your feedback. This is supposed to be "FUN" and unfortunately personalities don't mix and well, there are some bad apples. There is another post that I agree with - there is variability within PCA regions. I will say that the more events you do with one region, the better you get to know them (and vice versa). You make friends and it becomes what is should be.... about the PEOPLE not the CARS.

Good luck and stay positive! There are GOOD instructors out there!!
Old 05-27-2016, 10:17 AM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,317 Likes on 800 Posts

Sorry you had a bad experience but keep in mind that it works both ways. Not always will both parties click. Its best to first talk to your instructor about your concerns and goals before running off to request a different one. Even we, as instructors, often have to change to match up with our student while at the same time hoping that we can help them achieve their goal. Best thing to do is to communicate with each other. Ask questions, voice your goals, don't get ahead of yourself.

$0.02

Disclaimer:

YES, I have been fired by a student. YES, I have been requested by a student. Nobody is perfect.
Old 05-27-2016, 10:28 AM
rbahr
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 145 Likes on 102 Posts

Some background, PCN 'national' level instructor - whatever that means :-), BMW instructor, etc,...

If your instructor and you do not get along FOR ANY REASON, get a new one.

Especially with new students, there needs to be a fairly high level of trust for the learning experience to happen, being annoyed will not help that in any way.

At the 48 hours, I had a student complaining that the instructor grabbed the wheel even AFTER being told not to - this was not tolerated, and should not be.

BTW - the same should be true in the other direction...

Ray
Old 05-27-2016, 10:29 AM
aalencar
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Pcargirl31
You make friends and it becomes what is should be.... about the PEOPLE not the CARS.

Good luck and stay positive! There are GOOD instructors out there!!
Originally Posted by ExMB
YES, I have been fired by a student. YES, I have been requested by a student.
I completely agree it has a lot to do with the people. I have been to 5 events of this PCA and you always see the same faces. I just don't seem to click with these folks. I honestly don't have a problem with that as I am sure they don't click with me either. Just not sure which way to go to make sure I have fun with people AND my car!
Old 05-27-2016, 10:31 AM
Sramsay
Track Day

Don't give up on PCA yet. I feel they offer a good , safe way to progress. It is a crap shoot however . I've had instructors who were useless and those that were great. Remember this is about having fun. Don't get despondent, when you find the right fit you will have the best time of your life, nothing compares!
Old 05-27-2016, 10:57 AM
Pcargirl31
Intermediate

I completely agree it has a lot to do with the people. I have been to 5 events of this PCA and you always see the same faces. I just don't seem to click with these folks. I honestly don't have a problem with that as I am sure they don't click with me either. Just not sure which way to go to make sure I have fun with people AND my car!
Try a different PCA region... there are definitely "clicks" and I moved from one to another. Just stay positive. If you come in with complaints, then it isn't a good way to get started with the new group. Common sense!
Old 05-27-2016, 11:01 AM
jeffwhite
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Let me add to the chorus saying that if you are not connecting with your instructor, you should ask the chief instructor to make a switch. As an event chair, I make a point in every morning driver's meeting to tell the students just that. We do our best with student-instructor assignments but they don't always work out. The students are the paying customers and the purpose of the event is to have fun and become a better driver. If that is not happening then give us the chance to fix it but we can't fix what we don't know about. We do want you to enjoy the experience and to come back.
Old 05-27-2016, 11:27 AM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,317 Likes on 800 Posts

Originally Posted by Pcargirl31
Try a different PCA region... there are definitely "clicks" and I moved from one to another. Just stay positive. If you come in with complaints, then it isn't a good way to get started with the new group. Common sense!
^
This

Don't be afraid to travel to other regions or try other venues unless you are dead set on staying close to home. There are people, members that I know that will drive 500+ miles to an event.

Originally Posted by jeffwhite
Let me add to the chorus saying that if you are not connecting with your instructor, you should ask the chief instructor to make a switch. As an event chair, I make a point in every morning driver's meeting to tell the students just that. We do our best with student-instructor assignments but they don't always work out. The students are the paying customers and the purpose of the event is to have fun and become a better driver. If that is not happening then give us the chance to fix it but we can't fix what we don't know about. We do want you to enjoy the experience and to come back.
Let me add that safety is tantamount here. I have 3 rules for my student in the following order:
1) Safety - your's and the others that share the track with you
2) Have fun - learn something new about yourself and the car, how it responds, handles, etc
3) Go home
a) the same way you came mechanically - minus a little tire and brake wear
b) personally - happy and enriched by your experience
Old 05-27-2016, 11:31 AM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 397 Likes on 204 Posts

I can't speak for your home region(s), but in the Northeast PCA is a fantastic place to start. That being said, after 2 events I signed up for PSDS which was wonderful. I remember PSDS going over "vision" through corners and that's when I realized they are teaching the same thing as the awesome volunteers in PCA. The difference of course is that PSDS has paid professionals which have more time and more experience in imparting knowledge. If you are a "Porsche" guy that's starting out, PSDS is a great thing (just a bit pricey).
Old 05-27-2016, 12:08 PM
TXE36
Drifting

Received 191 Likes on 128 Posts

The second day this guy decides to drive my car, which he does for an ENTIRE student session missing gears messing up with the PDK... I could have asked for another instructor the second day but decided not to do so as it would be another Russian roulette. I have not done another DE since...
Do not let an instructor "decide to drive your car" as they really should not ask. It is your car and you are by no means obligated to allow an instructor to drive it. If you allow an instructor to drive it, the expectation is reduced pace because it is not their car. They should also treat it like they are a guest and if you want the session to end - the session ends. If they want to demonstrate something at speed, then they can use their car. Also, using your session to do it is completely unacceptable. This is particularly galling, as the instructor can drive in any session he wants.

You are the customer, do not be intimidated to complain to the organization if you are not satisfied. Most of the time it is just a personality issue between student and instructor and all that is needed to resolve is to swap some partners around. I consider the instructor drive you described pretty egregious - deserving of a complaint and an instructor *** chewing.

The sad fact is there are a few instructors who do it for the free track time and the opportunity to drive other people's cars - this is true in any organization. Most organizations spend considerable effort to weed these types out, but some get through. It is usually detectible via attitude and a strong desire to drive your car. I recommend avoiding these instructors. I would encourage you to give it another shot. Fortunately, your experience is atypical, so the likelihood of a repeat is small and you have learned enough to deal with it if you get unlucky again.

BTW, only a handful of instructors have driven my car - and they all did it because I approached and asked them to. It is a lot of responsibility - it warrants being picky about it. As a PCA instructor, I am much more comfortable demonstrating skills in my car and I'm really loath to drive theirs.

IIRC, Chin specifically disallows instructors from driving student's cars.

-Mike

Quick Reply: Newbie unhappy with PCA DEs