Sponsored by:

Review of my first ever DE

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2016, 06:54 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 290 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by NYoutftr
I am glad you made the point of progressing.

To be honest, I don't really understand how it works.

I see in my PCA event log, on the top right, there is a box labeled "sign off" then a yes or no.

Does this mean:

A) drive solo in current group

B) advance to next color group

Can you clarify.

Ty
You should read this to get a true understanding of how it works...

https://rennlist.com/forums/racing-a...-to-black.html
Old 05-25-2016, 09:08 PM
sugarwood
Pro

Received 31 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by 3Series
Lastly, after doing a DE, doesn't it sound silly when folks on the forums say they need "performance" whatever because they drive "spiritedly' on the street?
THIS. After DE, it is very obvious that you might as well just DD a Camry since you will come nowhere near the limits on the roads. Performance mods seem like a complete joke that are a total moot point on street driving. Tires? Whatever, use anything, they're all the same on the street. It's not like you'll be taking turns with the tires screaming while you're tailing an SUV.
Old 05-26-2016, 08:58 AM
Wild Weasel
Drifting

Received 311 Likes on 175 Posts

Originally Posted by LuigiVampa
Being fast is not necessarily a measure of getting to the next run group.
So much this!!

One thing that's surprised me is how many cars that should be much faster than mine seem so much slower than me on the track. Now, I fully understand that we're beginners and we're out there to learn and some people may be scared to death out there, like whoever drove the 991 Turbo S, which is probably as intimidating as hell, but I figure there should also be some people that are just about ready to move up to the next level and can really hustle their cars around the track.

This was only my second DE so I have no delusions of moving up, but I'm pretty quick out there. I really kinda want people faster than me so I have something to aim for. For insurance reasons, I'm not running any sort of timing apps so my frame of reference to determine if I'm improving is entirely based on what my instructor is saying.
Old 05-26-2016, 09:19 AM
alexaqui
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

While the Zone 1 event only had required formal instruction for Green and Yellow, many other regional clubs like NNJR and Schattenbaum have an additional intermediate instructed group (Blue). This Blue group usually runs with White (interemdiate solo) and is a good group to run in to continue to get instruction while running at a faster and safer pace than Green and Yellow run groups do. Sometimes, however, Blue does get lumped in with yellow, which is not always that much fun.

I was in White and managed to find an instructor to run with me for a session. Was great! Zone 1 seems very flexible and they were okay with me lining up in later sessions ahead/behind the instructor. Some clubs are a bit stricter in terms of what instructors can/cannot do.
Old 05-26-2016, 10:29 AM
jlanka
Drifting

Received 78 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Wild Weasel
This was only my second DE so I have no delusions of moving up, but I'm pretty quick out there.
I actually thought I was quick when I was tracking my GT3. I wasn't. I just seemed quick. I ended up purchasing a Spec Boxster which has 190 horse (vs. 475). Everyone told me this was a great move because it would "teach me how to drive". I'm finally realizing what they meant. The Spec Boxster is what is known as a momentum car, where you have to use the brakes as little as possible and really take the turns hard and fast in order to preserve momentum. Its a real eye opener for me and a big challenge too.

The speed illusion I got from the GT3 was the ability to not worry too much about slowing too much for the turns because I could hit the hammer after the apex and seem like a champ simply because of the horsepower. I realize now there is so much more to be had in the turns and thats where the skill comes in. I'm loving my boxster.

Good luck and hope to see you at a DE someday.

Jeff
Old 05-26-2016, 10:52 AM
Wild Weasel
Drifting

Originally Posted by jlanka
The speed illusion I got from the GT3 was the ability to not worry too much about slowing too much for the turns because I could hit the hammer after the apex and seem like a champ simply because of the horsepower.
Yeah... I give full credit to my car for making a hero out of me. My little Boxster bails me out like a champ.

What the car also does is give me plenty of confidence to just give 'er and know the car will sort things out if they go wrong. Perhaps my goal should be to gain the skills I need to go out there without the traction control on and see how well I fare. I'd have to really dial it back.

Hey... maybe that's what was going on with the Turbo S. That thing would probably scare the hell out of me without all the nannies turned on!
Old 05-26-2016, 10:59 AM
jlanka
Drifting

Yeah... I give full credit to my car for making a hero out of me. My little Boxster bails me out like a champ.

What the car also does is give me plenty of confidence to just give 'er and know the car will sort things out if they go wrong. Perhaps my goal should be to gain the skills I need to go out there without the traction control on and see how well I fare. I'd have to really dial it back.

Hey... maybe that's what was going on with the Turbo S. That thing would probably scare the hell out of me without all the nannies turned on!
Many people have told me my SPB is very balanced. It's got no nannies at all (1999) and I've really not run into any situations that surprised me yet. Talk to your instructor next time you're out, I think turning off nannies in a boxster shouldn't be an issue.
Old 05-26-2016, 11:00 AM
alexaqui
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

The speed illusion I got from the GT3 was the ability to not worry too much about slowing too much for the turns because I could hit the hammer after the apex and seem like a champ simply because of the horsepower. I realize now there is so much more to be had in the turns and thats where the skill comes in. I'm loving my boxster.
I downgraded this year as well from 400hp to 240hp. Big change and very eye opening as well. Having a total blast though! Also going from 265 and 305 tires to 245s is also a big change in terms of levels of grip.
Old 05-26-2016, 11:16 AM
3Series
Three Wheelin'

Received 112 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by sugarwood
THIS. After DE, it is very obvious that you might as well just DD a Camry since you will come nowhere near the limits on the roads.
Now that's kind of extreme! A Camry! LOL Very valid point though. I find the perfect DD is a 3 Series! But most days a Carrera works just fine!
Old 05-26-2016, 11:36 AM
NYoutftr
Rennlist Member

Received 424 Likes on 245 Posts

You should read this to get a true understanding of how it works...

https://rennlist.com/forums/racing-an...-to-black.html

Thank you,

There is so much information here it will take a while to sink in

This will be good reading during a rain while sitting on the porch !!
Old 05-26-2016, 11:36 AM
Wild Weasel
Drifting

Talk to your instructor next time you're out, I think turning off nannies in a boxster shouldn't be an issue.
Not yet. I went sideways through turn 1 on the last run on Saturday. I doubt that would have been nearly as entertaining without those nannies helping me along.

Also, Porsche got a bit weird with what works when. I'll need to learn to heel-toe before I can run with the TCS off as that also disables the rev-matching.

Originally Posted by 3Series
I find the perfect DD is a 3 Series!
Pfft. I'm calling bias based on your user name.
Old 05-26-2016, 12:22 PM
jlanka
Drifting

I'll need to learn to heel-toe before I can run with the TCS off as that also disables the rev-matching.
Practice on the road all the time, which is what I did. I also learned it in 2 phases, the first phase was just trying to rev-match to a downshift without any braking. Once I had that down, then I added the brake.
Old 05-26-2016, 12:31 PM
Wild Weasel
Drifting

I've always rev-matched while downshifting normally. I can do that just fine. It's doing it while braking that's an issue. I've been trying it on the street but I find I just can't reach the gas while braking. If I move my foot any further over, I'm afraid I won't have enough control left of the brake. It feels as though I need to be braking harder (like on the track) in order for the gas pedal to be closer to make it work.

Funny thing. I've started reading that other thread about advancement. This part amused me:

Originally Posted by Bob Rouleau
Are you fast because you are willing to take more risks than others in your group? Are you driving from cone to cone or do you look ahead into the corner using only peripheral vision to manage braking points? How do you manage traffic, does your car speed up whenever you see a car in front or worse, in your mirrors? Is PSM driving your car or is it you?
Yes, cone to cone, yes, no idea, and yes.
Old 05-26-2016, 12:47 PM
NYoutftr
Rennlist Member

Received 424 Likes on 245 Posts

YIKES!!

I don't think the cones help for long term learning

With that said, I was looking at them by Sunday,

I know, this sounds screwed up

I've always rev-matched while downshifting normally. I can do that just fine. It's doing it while braking that's an issue. I've been trying it on the street but I find I just can't reach the gas while braking. If I move my foot any further over, I'm afraid I won't have enough control left of the brake. It feels as though I need to be braking harder (like on the track) in order for the gas pedal to be closer to make it work.

Funny thing. I've started reading that other thread about advancement. This part amused me:

Yes, cone to cone, yes, no idea, and yes.
Old 05-26-2016, 12:51 PM
Wild Weasel
Drifting

Originally Posted by NYoutftr
YIKES!!

I don't think the cones help for long term learning

With that said, I was looking at them by Sunday,

I know, this sounds screwed up
You're right. And they might not be in the same place next time. Useless. But that didn't stop me from looking for them on every lap.

Wait.. what were you looking at on Saturday??

Quick Reply: Review of my first ever DE