Sponsored by:

Considering move from Hoosier R7 to Hankook Ventus Z214 51

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2016, 03:18 PM
linzman
Rennlist Member

Received 76 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Martin S.
As stated earlier, Z 214 tire were gone in less than a day, 3 run sessions of 25 minutes each. Put on the Nittos NT-01, and the wear across the tread was fully acceptable. Can't recall the exact negative camber on the rear....I know that Hoosier recommends their R6 be run with -3 degrees of negative camber.

One last tidbit, I took out some 10+ heat cycled NT-01 tires in the rain. They were fully predictable.
As stated earlier, if you run the hankooks with not enough camber, they will wear unevenly. That camber might be set up orderly for the Nittos, but NOT for the Hankooks.

Stick with the Nittos, more Hankooks for me. But don't knock the tires because your car wasn't set up for them.
Old 05-10-2016, 03:31 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,403 Likes on 748 Posts

+1
Old 05-10-2016, 03:47 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 506 Likes on 337 Posts
Default Rebuttal of sorts....

"But don't knock the tires because your car wasn't set up for them."

I just don't have the records of the negative camber set up on the rear at that time the tires were cooked in just three (3) sessions. But on a previous set of
Z 214 tires, I got nine (9) heat cycles before they were done. The wear was pretty even at that time. Nine (9) heat cycles is about what I get out of a set of Hoosiers before they revert to practice tires.

BTW, for the record, I drive a 3,200 Lb 993 with MCS suspension, all the trick stuff that goes with it. Since you have had success with the Z 214, what camber is recommended front and rear? I didn't see that on Hankook's web site, or anywhere else for that matter.

I will stick with Nittos because they are the most economical alternative, 33% cheaper than Hoosiers...and they last at least 2X as long. Agreed, they are not the quickest tire in the hands of one particular driver...I just need to learn how to drive them faster...and that's wear my AiM MXL-2 comes in to play.

And lastly, I do feel I am justified in knocking them because of their inconsistent supply chain. Perhaps the best thing to do is buy multiple sets when they become available. That's just not in my budget, I am a hand to mouth track guy and buy one set at a time.

From Discount Tire Direct's Web Site:

"The Hankook Z214 Road Racing C51 is not currently in stock....However, we may be able to order them in for you. Please call us at 800-589-6789 for availability and price." Well I called that number, talked to Jeff at X518, wanted to see how long the wait would be for a set. Guess what? The Z 214 C51 has been discontinued, no longer available. It would seem the Z 214 tires are now moot, sad news for those that have embraced them.

Last edited by Martin S.; 05-10-2016 at 04:04 PM.
Old 05-10-2016, 04:05 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 506 Likes on 337 Posts
Default Update on the status of Z 214 Tires C 51

The are NLA according to Discount Tire Direct. The factory has discontinued them. Sad news for their supporters.
Old 05-10-2016, 04:13 PM
linzman
Rennlist Member

The are NLA according to Discount Tire Direct. The factory has discontinued them. Sad news for their supporters.
"But don't knock the tires because your car wasn't set up for them."

IBTW, for the record, I drive a 3,200 Lb 993 with MCS suspension, all the trick stuff that goes with it. Since you have had success with the Z 214, what camber is recommended front and rear? I didn't see that on Hankook's web site, or anywhere else for that matter.
993s are tough on rear tires. I have a 968 and run about -3 degrees. Don't remember the numbers exactly, a little more in the front than rear.

I do feel I am justified in knocking them because of their inconsistent supply chain. Perhaps the best thing to do is buy multiple sets when they become available. That's just not in my budget, I am a hand to mouth track guy and buy one set at a time.
They do deserve it for that!!!! I order a seasons worth at a time.

From Discount Tire Direct's Web Site:

"The Hankook Z214 Road Racing C51 is not currently in stock....However, we may be able to order them in for you. Please call us at 800-589-6789 for availability and price." Well I called that number, talked to Jeff at X518, wanted to see how long the wait would be for a set. Guess what? The Z 214 C51 has been discontinued, no longer available. It would seem the Z 214 tires are now moot, sad news for those that have embraced them.
I just got a set of rears with a 1316 date code. Fronts still on back order. Due by end of month from TireRack. Would suck to just have new rears
Old 05-10-2016, 10:38 PM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts

I checked either Tire Rack and they are reporting that the 214/c51 is still being built and that they are still available for order, though there may be some on back order.
Will report back if I hear otherwise.
Old 05-10-2016, 11:39 PM
wildcat077
Drifting

Received 186 Likes on 160 Posts

We placed an order for 12 tires in March for Hankooks ... update from Tire Rack was that we would get them mid April as they were on the boat ... next update was they weren't on the boat and they would be available end of May !
My season starts in two weeks , we ended up getting TOYO RR's as they seem to be the spec tire for a lot of series.I just can't justify the price of Hoosiers by the time they get to Canada !
We're talking $400.00 dollars per tire for 225/45/15 's
Old 05-11-2016, 02:22 AM
wgn
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by linzman
Need more camber on the rear. R rated tires need way more than street tires. Can't compare them using the same alignment. Then again, if you ran the Nittos on an alignment meant for the Hankooks, you'd get uneven wear as well.
16 heat cycles seems pretty decent for these tires, and I noted it because others have talked about cording much faster. Inside rear corded first but all four tires were worn pretty evenly. The have to cord first somewhere...and I'd rather the inside than have the tires rolling over on the outside shoulder under cornering load (if negative camber is insufficient).

No complaints about that life out of the Kooks. I'd still be running them if I could get them.
Old 05-11-2016, 07:57 AM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by wildcat077
We placed an order for 12 tires in March for Hankooks ... update from Tire Rack was that we would get them mid April as they were on the boat ... next update was they weren't on the boat and they would be available end of May !
My season starts in two weeks , we ended up getting TOYO RR's as they seem to be the spec tire for a lot of series.I just can't justify the price of Hoosiers by the time they get to Canada !
We're talking $400.00 dollars per tire for 225/45/15 's
Ugh
I'm trying Hankooks as a Hoosier alternative but with this level of service it's going to be tough to earn my business.
Old 05-11-2016, 01:57 PM
wildcat077
Drifting

Received 186 Likes on 160 Posts

Rick,

Alain and i will be scrubbing our new shiny TOYO's at LCMT next week ... looking forward
to chasing you around the track ... lol

I had nice results with BFG R1's on my 911,about the same time you had your black car.
Not sure if they come in your size though !
Old 05-11-2016, 11:41 PM
MSTACH
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

I tried c51 for first time at lime rock PCA club race this year.
They were fast (59.3), but r7s feels better.
On 944 no issue on rears, but fronts were almost done after sprint 1, started sprint 2 on stickers - done ! Not much rubber left.
Old 05-12-2016, 09:57 AM
gbuff
Rennlist Member

Received 361 Likes on 260 Posts

Going through the exact same deal with street tires.....B'Stone RE71R is this year's autox tire of choice and TR is out of stock 'til the end of the month. Had to get StarSpecIIs--if anything, they'll wear a bit better.
Old 05-12-2016, 03:16 PM
por944s2
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Been running them for a few years successfully with plenty of podiums and class records. They last longer and are faster longer then R6 & 7's IMHO. Downside: 1. Order up the whole season and hope they arrive (placed my order - Feb 15). 2. They need a lap to really get sticky. 3. Sizing is limited, but fit my car perfect!!

Tried R7's at WG last yr, seemed quicker then R6's and lasted longer, but not Z214 quick, so relegated them to practice sessions. Maybe I'm just used to Z214's, and change is not my strong suit I have only corded front tires, and on short tracks like Limerock, you need to swap sides after each session, and after 15+ sessions they are done or close to it. My camber is ~ 3.5 F & -2.5 R (need to double check R) I have never fried set of tires in one sprint, ever and would be spitting bullets if I did. Something else is wrong for that to happen, IMHO. If you are a Z214 "hater" have at it, more for ME.

Last edited by por944s2; 05-12-2016 at 03:54 PM.
Old 07-28-2016, 11:12 PM
993fvr
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are there any issues with the Hankook Z214 tires on banked tracks like Autoclub Speedway? I'm looking for an alternative to Hoosier R7s for an upcoming event at ACS. Do you need to adjust camber or right rear tire pressures with the Z214?
Old 07-29-2016, 11:16 AM
linzman
Rennlist Member

Haven't run them on a real banked track, but I would treat them the same as the Hoosiers in that situation.

Quick Reply: Considering move from Hoosier R7 to Hankook Ventus Z214 51