Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Where would you live? Best city/state for Porsche nuts?

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2003 | 02:10 AM
mucor
Track Day

Default Where would you live? Best city/state for Porsche nuts?

I will be moving in a year after I finish my degree. I am 31 and single. Currently in Wisconsin (pretty good for porsche lovers, have kelly-moss, road america, blackhawk) but the weather sucks here. I'm originally from seattle, thinking of moving back but I would like to know what else is out there in the good ol' usa.

If you had a choice, where would you live? My requirements are.... in the order of imporance.

1. USA
2. Decent weather (rain ok, mild climate, warm ok)
3. Culturally/Ethnically Diverse, good food
4 Good tracks
5. Good area porsche race shops (like kelly moss)
6. Lots of fine single ladies
7. Nice roads
Old 10-13-2003 | 02:42 AM
JackOlsen
Race Car

Loco state politics aside, nothing compares to California.
Old 10-13-2003 | 03:11 AM
pig4bill
Burning Brakes

For 1, 2, 4, 6, and 7 Vegas edges California, if it's not too hot for you. don't know about 3 and 5.
Old 10-13-2003 | 07:28 AM
Jeff Curtis
Race Car

Default Florida!!

I visit Florida quite a bit, being that I have friends/family down there.

I always thought that would be a great place to relocate, especially with the P-Car in mind.

They're EVERYWHERE down there! ...aside from that, if you wanted to get back closer to Seattle - California would be the ticket.
Old 10-13-2003 | 08:02 AM
MJR911
Three Wheelin'

mucor, I guess the best situation would be to live somewhere like San Diego with perfect weather and have the funds to have your car "live" at Kelly Moss and do the total arrive and drive thing?

But in all seriousness, I don't mind at all where we live. From the Philadelphia area, we have BeaveRun, Pocono, lime rock, summit, and the Glen all within 5 hours... plus mosport, VIR and mid ohio within 8. The only thing is the winter season, I guess thats why we do the arrive and drive thing at Sebring in Feb!

Mitch
...trying Daytona for the first time this coming year, Rennsport Reunion is not to be missed
Old 10-13-2003 | 09:37 AM
Alan Herod
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

The military ensured that I evaluate a number of places and although I don't live there and haven't for a long time, Northern California would be high on my list. I love the rolling hills and season changes of Northern Michigan and northern Maine, but near Artic conditions are a turn-off. The Philly area sounds nice and not much different from here, but even colder. Great proximity to diverse tracks and P-car activities. Florida, a great place, but too hot July through September (you said warm, not blazing hot) and the biggest hills are between Talahasee and Gainesville, unless you count the bridges. What about Charlotte, North Carolina? Weather, mountains, proximity to tracks, real seasons, even some skiing. DC area has everything that you requested as well but with the price of extreme congestion.
Old 10-13-2003 | 02:30 PM
John H
Addict
Rennlist Member

Half of my high school class that recently came back to southern Ohio for our (gulp) 20 year reunion lives in or very near Charlotte. All that I spoke to really liked it and have been there for quite some time. The economy there appears to be pretty good from what I can tell.
Old 10-13-2003 | 03:22 PM
Steve Lavigne
Three Wheelin'

Default Re: Where would you live? Best city/state for Porsche nuts?

San Francisco proper. I lived there for a year and absolutely loved it. Bring $$$$$$.

1. USA
For the most part.

2. Decent weather (rain ok, mild climate, warm ok)
Yep, but doesn't get too hot during the summer.

3. Culturally/Ethnically Diverse, good food
Some of the best and most diverse in the world.

4 Good tracks
Two of the best west coast tracks under 2 hours away, and many more good tracks a little ways further.

The Racers Group, Jerry Woods...

Lots of hot intelligent single ladies in SF.

7. Nice roads
Beautiful roads north, south, east, and a beautiful sailboat road to the west.
Old 10-13-2003 | 04:12 PM
mitch236
Rennlist Member

How about the Boca Raton area in south Florida?
1. USA -mostly (except Miami)
2. Decent weather -definately
3. Culturally/Ethnically Diverse, good food -mostly true, although you might have to travel a little.
4 Good tracks -Hum, let's see...... Sebring, Homestead and Moroso all within a couple of hours. Many more if you are willing to travel a bit.
5. Good area porsche race shops (like kelly moss) -Great shops like Orbit Racing, Foriegn Affairs Motorsports, Champion Motors etc....
6. Lots of fine single ladies -South Beach (need I say more??)
7. Nice roads -This is where we loose. Nothing like a great winding mountain road but the closest we have to a mountain is the trash mound in pompano!!

All in all a great place to live. Clean air and ocean. Great beaches. Lots of P-cars. The DE/racing scene is very frendly and competitive.
Old 10-13-2003 | 04:24 PM
Ag951
Three Wheelin'

Phoenix!

1. AZ has been a US state for almost 90 years.
2. No rain or snow to cancel track or autoX events. Warm enough to run all winter long.
3. 3M people from all over the US and world (Phoenix natives are a minority). Lots of good restaraunts, especially Mexican restaraunts (big surprise).
4. AMP, PIR, and Firebird in town. Tucson, Vegas, and LA not too far away for out of town trips.
5. Technodyne, eXotic, Powerhaus, Stuttgart Southwest. I believe there are others.
6. 15000 female ASU students, a dozen community colleges, and a fairly young professional population.
7. Nice how? Lots of brand new freeway miles here, with more being laid every day. No rain or snow to form the potholes you see all over the north.
Old 10-14-2003 | 05:04 AM
pig4bill
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Re: Where would you live? Best city/state for Porsche nuts?

Originally posted by Steve Lavigne
San Francisco proper. I lived there for a year and absolutely loved it. Bring $$$$$$.

1. USA
For the most part.
Becoming less so every year.

The Racers Group, Jerry Woods...
There are also a lot of lesser-known shops like S-Car-Go, and even the "ordinary" shops around the area do a lot of performance work. This area is amazing in that respect.

Lots of hot intelligent single ladies in SF.
You must've taken them all with you when you left. This is one aspect where the bay area is HIGHLY deficient. Which makes the attitudes of the ones that remain, less than enchanting if you get my drift.

7. Nice roads
Beautiful roads north, south, east, and a beautiful sailboat road to the west.
Yeah, but you get to share them with a million other cars.
Old 10-14-2003 | 05:08 AM
pig4bill
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by Ag951
4. AMP, PIR, and Firebird in town. Tucson, Vegas, and LA not too far away for out of town trips.
Tucson has a track? Besides the dirt oval? Or did you mean the dragstrip?
Old 10-14-2003 | 10:23 AM
jakermc
Rennlist Member

Dallas/Ft. Worth area. Opportunity to join a race track country club:

http://www.motorsportranch.com/

Sure beats golf .....
Old 10-14-2003 | 11:39 AM
Steve Lavigne
Three Wheelin'

Default Re: Re: Re: Where would you live? Best city/state for Porsche nuts?

Originally posted by pig4bill
There are also a lot of lesser-known shops like S-Car-Go, and even the "ordinary" shops around the area do a lot of performance work. This area is amazing in that respect.
Very true. Those guys are somewhere near the top of the pyramid.

You must've taken them all with you when you left. This is one aspect where the bay area is HIGHLY deficient. Which makes the attitudes of the ones that remain, less than enchanting if you get my drift.
That's why I said San Francisco proper. The south bay is an entirely different place in this regard. In fact, I think most well to do south bay guys import their girls from SF.

Yeah, but you get to share them with a million other cars.
Actually, there are still numerous windy roads north, south, and east, which can be enjoyed nearly car free any day of the week. But yeah, there are lots of other roads to places like Half Moon Bay, Lake Tahoe, Santa Cruz, and Stinson Beach, which can turn a 15 mile drive into a two hour obscenity filled traffic jam.
Old 10-14-2003 | 02:45 PM
Ag951
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by pig4bill
Tucson has a track? Besides the dirt oval? Or did you mean the dragstrip?
I've heard people refer to one down there, but I have no first hand knowledge of it. I'm not a UofA student or an old fogey, so I have no reason to ever visit Tucson.

Quick Reply: Where would you live? Best city/state for Porsche nuts?