Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Where would you live? Best city/state for Porsche nuts?

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2003, 02:57 PM
DERSIX
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Charlotte,NC...good weather, inexpensive housing close to Lowes , VIR, Carolina Motorsport Park, Road Atlanta..need I say more
Old 10-15-2003, 05:27 AM
pig4bill
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by Ag951
I've heard people refer to one down there, but I have no first hand knowledge of it. I'm not a UofA student or an old fogey, so I have no reason to ever visit Tucson.
That's cool. Tucson would rather you Phoenix people stay up there where you belong.
Old 10-15-2003, 06:03 AM
JackOlsen
Race Car

Received 62 Likes on 48 Posts

Did I mention California? This was earlier today.

Old 10-15-2003, 04:35 PM
Ag951
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by JackOlsen
Did I mention California? This was earlier today.

Keep that up Jack, and I'll have to take my car and camera up to Sedona or the Grand Canyon.
Old 10-15-2003, 04:39 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Hey Ag.... Keep quite on Az thing. Too many damn people moving here as it is. All the "good" roads are getting full of traffic. When people ask about Az I tell them "Naw you would not like it. Too hot. It is the middle of October and still 100F!"
Old 10-15-2003, 05:45 PM
tchandler
Instructor

I live in Sacramento and love it as far as P-car is concearned. I would try to get closer to the coast. Bay area is great for weather, but expensive. Sonoma area not to bad and close to San Francisco. Here is what it offers

World class wine country-great drives/food/wine
Highway one on the pacific coast to Big Sur - best drive in America
Lake Tahoe only 3hrs away. Great for Mountain Drives, snow skiing, mountain biking, and other outdoor activities.

Great city in San Francisco. Culture, food, sports, entertainment.
Race tracks - two are world class. Infineon(sears point) Laguna seca.
Also, Thunderhill - very good club track, button willow and a little farter south Willow springs.

From Sonoma: Sears point is about 20min drive. Laguna Seca - about an 1.5hrs. Thunderhill about 1.5-2hrs. button willow about 3hr-4hrs.

We also have a great zone. PCA zone 7 is very active. Heck, Henry Watts literaly wrote the book on autcrossing and time trailing. No kidding: "Secrets of Solo Racing: Expert Techniques for Autocrossing and Time Trials "
by Henry A. Watts - a zone 7 regular and great instructor.

Can't think of a better place for a car nut.
Old 10-15-2003, 06:10 PM
Ag951
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by M758
Hey Ag.... Keep quite on Az thing. Too many damn people moving here as it is. All the "good" roads are getting full of traffic. When people ask about Az I tell them "Naw you would not like it. Too hot. It is the middle of October and still 100F!"
Oh yeah...AZ sucks.
All the dust in my air filter and oil, the heat damage on the engine. Cars designed to run in Germany's cool moist weather don't last in the desert.
(How's that Joe?)
Old 10-15-2003, 06:28 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Old 10-17-2003, 02:13 AM
911pcars
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't even consider southern California as a place to settle. How would I know? I've lived here my entire life and possess a keen sense of observation. Here are my reasons:

Weather - Overrated. Too much sun is not good for clinical depression. No snow and only a little rain doesn't make for interesting driving situations.

Natural disasters - Underrated. We're expecting the mother earthquake of all mothers - any moment now. L.A. will be adjacent to San Francisco soon after. Volcano action is a distinct possibility. Surfers and boaters are always on the lookout for that giant tsunami from Catalina island (1 hour away). Watch out.

Sports - Overrated. No pro football team. How can a city call itself significant without an NFL team? We have to settle for second tier pro teams like the Lakers, Dodgers, Angels, Sparks, Galaxy, Kings and Ducks; only the Clippers bear mention - they do have a classy owner. The tracks at Willow Springs, Irwindale and Calif. Speedway are dusty. You don't like sports anyway. It's better where you are.

Colleges - Overrated. If you're not an alumnus of UCLA or SC why would you be here rooting for them? Stay home and support your local teams. The other schools in this area are for losers: Cal Tech, Pomona College, Pepperdine, Harvey-Mudd. If you value your offspring's higher education - beware.

Diverse Locale - Overrated. How many times can you go to the desert, the mountains, the beach, skiing, fishing; all within an hours drive. Stay home and watch TV.

Ethnically/food diverse - Overrated. Once you've sampled 1000 Chinese restaurants (in one suburb alone), you've tried them all. Never mind the Cuban, Thai, Japanese, Indian, Greek, Mexican, French and Stuart Anderson's. You don't want ethnic food poisoning do you? English is not yet the official language in this area - sounds un-American and unpatriotic to me too. Caution: Ethnicity = different.

Roads - Overrated. As Jack's photo illustrates, many roads are too congested for spirited driving. Wonder why you see so many Porsche group pictures in a parking lot? Need I say more? Stay away for your own mental health.

Women - Overrated. Many are attitudinally challenged knowing they look good, but that's only in a few coastal cities with that type of beautiful women. The other cities in the area contain merely ordinary good-looking women. Get outa here. You've got a better chance in Guantanamo.

Porsche shops - Overrated. There's several to choose from, but that's what makes the decision so difficult. We have an infamous engine rebuilder in our locale that bears the brunt of a lot of undue criticism. Negative vibes. Stay where you are.

Governor. Yes, we have a new one, but he's also overrated.

But you're welcome to visit... anytime.

Regards,
Sherwood
http://members.rennlist.org/911pcars
Old 10-21-2003, 10:42 PM
John Anderson
Burning Brakes

John H,

Small small world...I spent most of my school years in Portsmouth. Grant Middle School, then PHS! I also attended McKinnley (spelling) for a year. I lived on the corner of 6th and Campbell. I know, its river rat territory, not Hill Top glamour stuff..but hey, it was nice out there. I love the seasons and the winters.

You say you recently attended your 20th? What school did you attend? If it was PHS maybe we remember some or a lot of the same people?

Man what memories, I remember train hoping to get to New Boston and back.....memories.

I'd love to hear back from you on this!

Take Care
Old 10-22-2003, 03:55 PM
Ag951
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by 911pcars

Natural disasters - Underrated. We're expecting the mother earthquake of all mothers - any moment now. L.A. will be adjacent to San Francisco soon after. Volcano action is a distinct possibility. Surfers and boaters are always on the lookout for that giant tsunami from Catalina island (1 hour away). Watch out.
That's why I'm buying up land near Yuma to build a future beach resort. I'm just waiting for California to sink.
(For those of you not familiar with our part of the country, Yuma is a nothing town on the AZ side of the CA border, basically a rest stop on the way to San Diego).

Don't forget the mudslides and wild fires.
Old 10-28-2003, 10:17 PM
DFASTEST951
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Being born and raised in Kenosha WI myself. I have to say VEGAS!
1. U.S. of course
2. warm, no rain, my car hasn't seen rain in over 15 years.
3. More restaurants per capita than any other state in the union.
4. Tracks. Downfall, have to travel to CA or AZ which are great drives anyway. We also have a new beltway that between 2 and 4 in the morning most every night, especially on weekends, we get out on it and run our cars. Very Cool.
5. Very reputable shop right here called Karl's Place. Then you have my shop just over the border(300miles), Powerhaus. Unbelievable guys with huge talent.
6. Ladies! If I told you, you wouldn't believe me. The finest in the country. If they don't live here, they come here to vacation. I have to say Orange County probably has the best women(agreeing with Maxim Magazine) but they all come here to get away and get into trouble. For a regular guy from WI to be regularly dating playmates and dancers, that's gotta say something. Warning, come out here single. If you come out with someone, it won't last. It never does.
7. Great roads to run on out here and travel to CA or AZ like I mentioned earlier.
Old 10-28-2003, 10:35 PM
JackOlsen
Race Car

Received 62 Likes on 48 Posts

California has lost a little of its luster this week.

Old 10-29-2003, 04:02 AM
pig4bill
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by DFASTEST951
Being born and raised in Kenosha WI myself. I have to say VEGAS!
4. Tracks. Downfall, have to travel to CA or AZ which are great drives anyway.
You gotta be kidding. Las Vegas Motor Speedway is right on the edge of town and Spring Mountain is an hour away in Pahrump.

6. Ladies! If I told you, you wouldn't believe me. The finest in the country. If they don't live here, they come here to vacation.
Vacation, eh? You could put it another way and say they come into town to work as strippers and hookers.
Old 10-29-2003, 03:38 PM
DFASTEST951
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

That's right, we have the speedway. I don't know what I was thinking. Dont know about spring mountain in Pahrump though.
Quote:
Vacation, eh? You could put it another way and say they come into town to work as strippers and hookers.

I wouldn't know as I don't pay for them and if they do, good for them. No judgements here. God bless each and every one of them. Great city for women.

Quick Reply: Where would you live? Best city/state for Porsche nuts?