Sponsored by:

Rum Bummer

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2016, 12:12 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,693 Likes on 874 Posts

Originally Posted by drbooba1
All these years and sucess and PMNA couldn't wait to get rid of them!! Not a Damn bit of technical help or let alone encouragement
Exactly Same with the old DP that used the Cayenne V8. PMNA loathed them
Old 04-26-2016, 12:20 PM
gums
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

And no one even knows it but the top Porsche in Continental at Daytona this year was asked to leave after Practice, they didn't want CJ Wilson getting out qualified. Not a word anywhere about it.
Old 04-26-2016, 12:22 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by gums
And no one even knows it but the top Porsche in Continental at Daytona this year was asked to leave after Practice, they didn't want CJ Wilson getting out qualified. Not a word anywhere about it.
Yup.

PMNA and IMSA have become like NASCAR
Old 04-26-2016, 12:35 PM
paradisenb
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What!? What was the reasoning? Was it a 911 or the car Porsche is pushing?
CJ is running those new Caymans right?
Old 04-26-2016, 12:47 PM
gums
Rennlist Member

It was a Cayman and it outran the factory cars
Old 04-26-2016, 12:49 PM
177mph
Rennlist Member

Received 181 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Yup.

PMNA and IMSA have become like NASCAR
Isn't IMSA owned by nascar?
Old 04-26-2016, 12:58 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 177mph
Isn't IMSA owned by nascar?
Thank you for being awake. Bingo!!!
Old 04-26-2016, 01:56 PM
177mph
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Thank you for being awake. Bingo!!!
Honestly - it takes all my energy just to keep up with the forums!
Old 04-26-2016, 01:57 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Received 123 Likes on 86 Posts

It was a Cayman and it outran the factory cars
Yep. Rick Deman built his own GT4 Clubsport with a manual gearbox. He read the rules. He built a car that was ready to compete according to those rules. But the big boys didn't want it there. It's really sad because it is call the Continental Tire Street Car Challenge.

Even in ST Honda, Mazda, and others provide "factory" built racecars. It's not just Riley built cars in GS or the GT4 CS from Porsche. The series isn't true to its name in any way the last couple of years.

It's sad. Rum Bum and BGB both won championships on 997 chassis they refined in house. These were street cars. When was the last time a Mustang or Camaro that raced in the series was a purchased street car that got convertered? They are all bodies in white these days that get built from day 1 to be a racecar. That's not what built the series.
Old 04-26-2016, 02:04 PM
177mph
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by GTgears
Yep. Rick Deman built his own GT4 Clubsport with a manual gearbox. He read the rules. He built a car that was ready to compete according to those rules. But the big boys didn't want it there. It's really sad because it is call the Continental Tire Street Car Challenge.

Even in ST Honda, Mazda, and others provide "factory" built racecars. It's not just Riley built cars in GS or the GT4 CS from Porsche. The series isn't true to its name in any way the last couple of years.

It's sad. Rum Bum and BGB both won championships on 997 chassis they refined in house. These were street cars. When was the last time a Mustang or Camaro that raced in the series was a purchased street car that got convertered? They are all bodies in white these days that get built from day 1 to be a racecar. That's not what built the series.
totally agree.
Old 04-26-2016, 02:25 PM
gums
Rennlist Member

that's what I'm referring to, GT. They tried to enforce a handicap that applied only to him, not the other Caymans (Caymen?).
And if I'm not mistaken, I believe those RumBum 911's were also DeMan built (although nothing to do with each other).
Old 04-26-2016, 03:19 PM
paradisenb
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

IMSA is screwing the pooch on both series. Constant rule changes and no TV deal. I imagine no cable channel wants for pay for the rights.

They will get a series with only manufacturers whether they want it or not. Privateers cannot compete financially and manufacturers will do anything they can to dominate, including having the rules changed.
I prefer the private teams because it fosters better racing due to larger fields.

WT - GT and CT - ST are the only races worth watching.
Old 04-26-2016, 03:38 PM
stuttgart46
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

It seems like it all started to turn for the worst when it went from Koni Challenge to Continental Challenge. Similar timing to NASCAR taking ownership if I'm not mistaken.
Old 04-26-2016, 04:05 PM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 892 Likes on 546 Posts

Rum Bum left early too - there is a lot of sandbagging going on at the Roar before the 24 Testing and you need to know how to play the game. Not all of the GT4 Clubsports were at legal ride hight either (just look at the pictures!).

Kudos to Rick building the car. I hope we still see him race it (hopefully at WGI).

that's what I'm referring to, GT. They tried to enforce a handicap that applied only to him, not the other Caymans (Caymen?).
It's a 6 speed car and it's not a factory built GT4 so there has to be a BOP adjustment somewhere! You can always argue that the initial BOP adjustments were not fair but you can't argue that there should be none. In Club Racing, it's a 100 lbs penalty for PDK but for IMSA it might be different (and will change throughout the race season). I believe the Rum Bum car ended up with a 300 lb weight BOP adjustment over last year just to make the GT4 Clubsports competitive.

ST seems to be a great competitive class. IMSA needs to figure out how to attract more manufacturers into GS.
Old 04-26-2016, 08:14 PM
gums
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Frank 993 C4S

Kudos to Rick building the car. I hope we still see him race it (hopefully at WGI).
It was at the Lime Rock Club Race last weekend, with a For Sale sign on it. I know the intention was always to show it well and sell it. Hey, that's his business. If I could Club Race a GT4 I'd grab that car so fast....

Quick Reply: Rum Bummer