Hoosier R7 vs. A7?

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2016, 12:04 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by ProCoach
This has been my experience.

On a number of heavy GT cars that require DOT-R rubber per the rules, the A7 works extremely well as a qualifying tire (maximum performance, quick warmup and pressure stabilization, ideal for autocross) with much more TRACK durability than the old A3 and A6 variants.

As a matter of fact, in SCCA, my clients preferred the A7's to run sprint races in the car, as long as the ambient temps were below 80 degrees.

We did find the performance to be severely compromised after a short time at higher temperatures, but this tire surprised me with its (relative) durability. For those with no budget limitations, you can see a small performance improvement with the A7's over the R7's. However, the HC life (at 90-100% performance) is between 20-40% lesser with the A7 than the R7.

For you, K-Man, the number of laps you are now putting on the car make the R7's a better choice, but if you ever have a "solo"weekend without the kids before it gets too hot, indulge yourself and try a set. You'll like it!
Well said.. Its kind of what i was getting at but keeping it simple with the " it has more stick, but doesnt last as long" theme. But i think you are spot on.
The problem i have is the quality of the used tires i have are all over the map. however, its narrowed by the fact that i do know who i get them from and where the tires have been. Ive also see issues in races where temps are above 90 degrees. after 10 laps, you need to use some serous tire management techniques

the point i like that you made is the HC lift comparison for the two tires.
you can se where that intercection place becomes AND where that hits a third dimension.. your budget.

Originally Posted by linzman
Um, wrong again. Do your research before you spout fiction
Linzman, Thats all ive done is research both in practices and stats. You are still in kindergarten, while the rest of us are doing a college thesis
Old 04-25-2016, 01:18 PM
linzman
Rennlist Member

Received 76 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by mark kibort
Linzman, Thats all ive done is research both in practices and stats. You are still in kindergarten, while the rest of us are doing a college thesis
I was referring to your comment that VR never raced. And you are WRONG about that (as well as many other things), but at least you're a complete gentleman who refrains from childish name calling. You have no idea what I do, or my degree, so as many others here have already said, STFU. Now you have earned another ignore. Congrats, you must be proud.
Old 04-25-2016, 01:27 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,403 Likes on 748 Posts

Originally Posted by mark kibort
Why, in EVERY thread, must you resort to this sort of petulant insecure childish personal attack???
Old 04-25-2016, 01:38 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Why, in EVERY thread, must you resort to this sort of petulant insecure childish personal attack???
Dave, it is you. realize, i only respond to you..... if you dont attack, i wont respond to you personally. I only talk facts... You take it to the personal level. You make it personal, so will i. you keep it factual. so will I

How about this..It's a new day!

Lets make it about facts again and leave our little personal beefs off the table here.

So, in this thread, you say that A6-7s fall off much faster with HC than R6-7s.
i come back with, " i don't see that happening with my experience or others i race with that are racing the fast time on ANY given weekend. and we leave it at that, or back up your data, rather than you having to come back toss out these "childish responses" or inane comebacks just because i dont agree with you.
Old 04-25-2016, 01:42 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Mark, you are full of crap. You directed a personal insult to Linzman for no reason other than your own petulant insecurity. Had nothing to do with me.

STFU
Old 04-25-2016, 01:44 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by linzman
I was referring to your comment that VR never raced. And you are WRONG about that (as well as many other things), but at least you're a complete gentleman who refrains from childish name calling. You have no idea what I do, or my degree, so as many others here have already said, STFU. Now you have earned another ignore. Congrats, you must be proud.
Yes, that was incorrect, he has raced a few times. (i said " you don race" not that he has never raced. ) . Anyway, ertainly not a lot of racing though, nor as much as the regular racers here. Nothing wrong with being a good conservative coach... but if he is going to hang out with the racers that do it every month, he should respect some of the reality experience that others bring to the table. this should be an information exchange , not a parent /child interaction. most of use have a LOT more experience on this tire comparison than he will ever have. that's just a fact.
And I appreciate you noticing that i do try and keep my posts about facts not name calling.
btw.... my comment about college thesis vs kindergarten was in reference to my experience with the tire comparisons, not your actual education level.

Last edited by mark kibort; 04-25-2016 at 02:05 PM.
Old 04-25-2016, 01:48 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Mark, you are full of crap. You directed a personal insult to Linzman for no reason other than your own petulant insecurity. Had nothing to do with me.

STFU
Again, you are not paying attention Dave. my response was only to his insinuation that t i have not done the research. Ive done the research, actually, very scientifically as well. Lots of documentation and stats over the years Dave. on these two tire flavors specifically. You have not.
now, if it's about his comment and intent to judge on my quick review of your limited racing experience, then he should have been more clear. I am not a mind reader
Old 04-25-2016, 01:52 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

You lie like a rug, Mark.

Shoo. This is a forum for grown ups.
Old 04-25-2016, 01:57 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

You lie like a rug, Mark.

Shoo. This is a forum for grown ups.
why the name calling.... i think a lot of projection is going on here. GO look in the mirror.. really!
ready my texts and then read yours.. see who is the grown up.
I post facts! you post dirty pictures of girls like you are in high school, make insulting comments hiding behind your computer like a little school girl.

you are calling me a liar?? Dave, Really? go look at your racecoach.net website and tell me who is the liar! BROTHER!!!!

just grow up.

if you doubt what i say to be as true. say it, stop with the childish interactions and name calling. you dont add any value when you say " your wrong" use your "words" VR.... if i say R6s dont have the stick as an A6, but just last longer, and you disagree... say why and back it up. dont respond with name calling.... it's really lame.. you sound like an idiot. (not calling you an idiot, its what you sound like )

our interactions here will be much more enjoyable and fun if you do.

Im willing to pull back on my responses to your attacks if you stop attacking. its that simple!

welll??
Old 04-25-2016, 02:03 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Mark, you must be a narcissistic sociopath. Your pattern is crystal clear and totally predictable:

You spew some totally false and often extremely dangerous BS as fact

You get called on it by more experienced professionals who know better

You then begin a campaign of extreme derision of their expertise and experience, examples Peter Krause, me, Olsen, and numerous other professionals here, while simultaneously posting endless 3,000 word diatribes as to why you are correct and the rest of the world is wrong.

Lather

Rinse

Repeat

Now, I don't know what's going on in your personal life driving this behavior, but you need help. It's extremely unhealthy.

Last edited by Veloce Raptor; 04-25-2016 at 04:54 PM.
Old 04-25-2016, 03:46 PM
Sterling Doc
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

There is a growing trend in NASA Super Touring to run the A7's over the R7's, even in the 45" Championships. The key seems to be running enough tire size to keep from overheating them, so the 'Vette's are running 315/345's, and making them live quite well. It is worth the HP penalty for them to do so. I've been pleasantly surprised at the durability of the A7's, with careful heat cycling.

It's also somewhat track dependent. Running at Gateway (roval), I could feel the A's getting greasy from the sustained punishment on the oval, but at a track like Road America, with it's long straights, the A's have time to recover.
Old 04-25-2016, 05:38 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Mark, you must be a narcissistic sociopath. Your pattern is crystal clear and totally predictable:

You spew some totally false and often extremely dangerous BS as fact

You get called on it by more experienced professionals who know better

You then begin a campaign of extreme derision of their expertise and experience, examples Peter Krause, me, Olsen, and numerous other professionals here, while simultaneously posting endless 3,000 word diatribes as to why you are correct and the rest of the world is wrong.

Lather

Rinse

Repeat

Now, I don't know what's going on in your personal life driving this behavior, but you need help. It's extremely unhealthy.
Dave, you are completely inept. you have no real experience. advocate slow driving techniques and have a resume' littered with so may lies its hard to count.
nothing ive posted has been incorrect , it has been strictly factual, mathematical, phsical racing information. period!
you have no grasp of the concepts due to your own ineptitude! please, open a book sometime soon and LEARN something.
you have categorically called me "wrong" on almost everything i have posted.
but have yet to make one single contrarian fact . why?
If you are going to challenge me, you better step up your game.
my ONLY advice in recent posts have been:

1. shift at near redline and keep car in the 75% of the high RPMs to maximize HP. i.e shift to 2nd with a GT4 at Thunderbolt raceway
2. downshift with a rev blip if you loose your brakes
3. i torque my lugs at 5% lower than porsche spec (not advice... just a comment)

NOTHING here was challenged by any pros here . only U.. Peter, for example, only commented on HIS speed in a 150hp car on that track.
The brake discussion was about theory.. its still about theory. Olsen even confirmed that the brake film was removed as fast as it was laid down on a race brake set up. the lists goes on Dave! go watch that GT4 video.. its about keeping the car in the high RPM ranges... you seem to have no clue about the HP to acceleration relationship. you say its track dependent... (repeatably!!!) its not track dependent... its just common knowledgeable sense!!

That's it Davey.. Please, it is YOU with the issues. seriously.. you are one angry man... your only talent is internet bullying -name calling and things you say just make me laugh.. I have a life, you need one!! maybe its just frustration because you really cant drive fast and never went to school!

It's very easy to call someone out or call someone wrong.. it's another thing to follow through or give the correct answer.
when you finally are told by someone OTHER than me, that the RPM up top is the range you want to keep your car in, and that its not "noise" you will get 95% of the issues you have with me and what i write

im trying to make peace with you for the sake of the discussion. try and remove your "mouth" from the interactions (i know it will be near impossible, but try) and give me facts.. ill do the the same

Again nothing ive said is even remotely dangerous. in fact, the advice is quite to the contrary. Ill save someone's life or car by several things i offered as advice... you ????? not so much.

You coach racing as like you are teaching a Tai Chi class... My information is analogous to Karate. not everyone will "crash into walls" when they are in a gear with more HP Dave! in fact, its your job (and mine when i coach) to handle the throttle properly so that doesnt happen . teach slow techniques... get slow drivers. teach fast techniques........ well, you get the idea.

keep it clean kid! just try!
Old 04-25-2016, 05:42 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Sterling Doc
There is a growing trend in NASA Super Touring to run the A7's over the R7's, even in the 45" Championships. The key seems to be running enough tire size to keep from overheating them, so the 'Vette's are running 315/345's, and making them live quite well. It is worth the HP penalty for them to do so. I've been pleasantly surprised at the durability of the A7's, with careful heat cycling.

It's also somewhat track dependent. Running at Gateway (roval), I could feel the A's getting greasy from the sustained punishment on the oval, but at a track like Road America, with it's long straights, the A's have time to recover.
Thanks... that's what i am seeing as well. in fact, most all of the DOT classed race cars are using the A6-7 if they are near the front. with a little care, they can be managed more than easily to not go away , even in a 30min race.
good point about the track.... and i would add , ambient temps. there are some high temps where i would prefer the RA1 toward the end of a race, if you could make a rolling tire change.
Old 04-25-2016, 05:56 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Wow. That's quite a rant...

I haven't observed this level of clinical insanity and pathological sociopathic narcissism in a long, long time.

Carry on...it's quite a spectacle.

Last edited by Veloce Raptor; 04-26-2016 at 08:32 AM.
Old 04-25-2016, 06:11 PM
TREMPER
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

I have run A6 and A7 and there are more predictable and less sensitive to higher to pressure than the R6 or R7 in my 964 H car. I am now running 30 psi hot and the wear is much better..BUT the Hankooks ar two seconds a lap faster faster so it is good bye to Hoosier unless the supply of Handkooks dries up by July.

Quick Reply: Hoosier R7 vs. A7?