Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GPS placement suggestions on 944

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2016, 02:57 AM
Mahler9th
Three Wheelin'

Received 106 Likes on 76 Posts

The way I see it, there is no right or wrong. And what is optimal depends on one's criteria.

Of course it makes optimal sense to mount an antenna like this on a car's roof. That is already obvious without starting a thread.

Sorry to be unclear. The shop to which I referred is local and they are unquestioned experts. They have quite a bit of experience with these systems at our local tracks. They may be different from your experience with "shops" Peter.

My experience with this equipment thus far suggests that documentation is extremely poor (say a 2 out of 10) and that although they try, folks like the experts here are not good at dealing with basic level installation questions and issues. I appreciate their efforts, but they are dealing with equipment that is just not that refined from a "customer friendly" viewpoint. Given the state of affairs with the gear, I think we owe them a huge debt of gratitude to help us in forums like these.

My main point was that if one is concerned about drilling a roof hole for GPS antenna placement (as I was), you can sometimes leverage localized resources that have been there and done that. i have several to choose from.

Further, it is difficult to assess one's level of handiness in forums like these. I was discouraged from re-terminating my antenna cable, but in actuality is was trivial. So all I needed was a ~3/16" hole in my carbon fiber roof. Not the ~3/4" hole that the connector would require. This was important to me.

Right after I did my install, I attended an AIM workshop put on my Roger Caddell at the shop I referenced. He did (and by all reports always does) a fantastic job. 90% of the cars in that shop had antennas mounted in non-rooftop positions.

I did not expect the basic class would have a lot of information related to installation, and this turned out to be true.

I remember the Serena Industries lap timer and, though vaguely, the first iteration Iphone. And, again vaguely, early PC machines.

This type of equipment has a long way to go in terms of user I/F, installation, configuration and set up.

It is still early days.

I'll update my own thread in the next week or so, as I have now actually used my self-installed and self-configured system on a race track.

I think it is easiest for newer cars with CAN or OBD. If I had one of those cars, I'd have bought a SOLO and a SmartyCam.
Old 04-22-2016, 07:26 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,836 Likes on 1,670 Posts

Ah, yes. The Hot Lap IR timer!

Things have come a long way...
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 04-22-2016, 07:55 AM
linzman
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 41 Posts

Not the best picture, but put the antenna on the back center of roof, protect cable under seal. Go over the hinge and then cross under the seal lateral to the hinge to bring it inside car.

Name:  photo18.jpg
Views: 302
Size:  2.17 MBName:  photo886.jpg
Views: 316
Size:  2.12 MB
Old 04-22-2016, 02:01 PM
winders
Race Car

Received 762 Likes on 385 Posts

From what I understand, you don't want the GPS antenna that close to the radio antenna. I think you want them as far apart as is practical.
Old 04-22-2016, 05:56 PM
linzman
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by winders
From what I understand, you don't want the GPS antenna that close to the radio antenna. I think you want them as far apart as is practical.
Both seem to work just fine.
Old 04-22-2016, 06:55 PM
winders
Race Car

Originally Posted by linzman
Both seem to work just fine.
http://racegrade.com/downloads/RG_MA...anual%20v2.pdf

To quote:

"GPS signals are easily blocked by electrical noise. Keep the antenna more than 6” from any other antennas such as car-to-pit voice radios, telemetry and other GPS antennas."

https://racelogic.support/01VBOX_Aut...enna_Placement

To quote:

"For the best results, use the antenna in the centre of a metal roof away from any roof bars or radio antennas."

I could hunt for more, but I think you get the idea.
Old 04-22-2016, 09:04 PM
linzman
Rennlist Member

Not arguing with you, just saying mine seems to work just fine
Old 04-22-2016, 09:25 PM
winders
Race Car

Check you GPS signal while transmitting on your radio.

I was just trying to help you out.
Old 04-23-2016, 09:11 PM
drive418
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks for all the good suggestions.
Old 06-10-2016, 11:58 AM
drive418
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I placed it on the "floor" of the rear hatch. Right in the middle. Works great.

Quick Reply: GPS placement suggestions on 944