Sponsored by:

best model to use for race car

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2003, 01:38 PM
Geo
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by clubracer6
You'd be suprised. A Z car won ITS this weekend at Blackhawk Farms. 1.23.4 I think was fastest race lap and was not set by a P car. We have SM's in the high 23's every weekend.
I'm not dissing the SMs. However, even our lightly developed Sentra SE-R (ITS) easily outruns any SM I've come across. The ITA Miatas however are another story. I can usually outrun them on the straights and they dog me in the corners. I mention our SE-R because it's about the same performance as a 944 (equally prepared).

I'm not at all surprised a Z car won ITS. The 240Z is still a very popular and very fast car. In fact, it was my first choice, but finding good shells for reasonable prices is difficult these days. Pretty much all those I thought were good shells were both relatively expensive and (IMHO) too nice to turn into a race car given their relative rarity these days.
Old 10-13-2003, 04:48 PM
tchandler
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for all the replies. I think I will spend most of next year watching several venues to see what I like.

Also, I am taking an adult automotive repair class to help me do some of the wrenching myself. I will try to find out which cars are the easiest to work on as another criteria.

I am leaning towards the PCA club racing and less towards SCCA. Also, here in NORCAL a few years ago some guys got toghether and started the PRC- (porsche racing club). I have been following them closely and looks like a lot of fun. The have a 911 spec series which looks interesting.

Hopefully wathcing and learning from these folks and you all will help me narrow down my choices.

Thnx again. Tom
Old 10-13-2003, 07:09 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 60 Posts
Default Re: best model to use for race car

Those of the list and the racing community , know how much luck Ive had with the 928. for the $20k-30k range, you just cant beat it. we are talking about a stock S4, put on a set of headers and stiffen the springs. Gut the car and off you go. 300 rear wheel hP, 2700lbs.

car costs around $8--11k depending on the shape, racing mods and saftey equip are another $7k and you are ready to run, without a lot of sorting. probably only turning one shock ride hight adjustment 3 turns over an entire year!!

racing mods are wheels, tires, headers w/pipes, seat, belts, cage, etc)

gutting is: everything must go. plan on 3 weekends for removal of all the nice luxury 928 interior and other heavy things)

do this, and you have a low 1:40 car that you will only have to put oil in for 2-3 years (and pads and tires, but it is great on both of them!)

the ONLY problem with the 928, it doesnt fit any class very well. GT2s/r for PCA, GT2 PRC, SCCA is the best fit, in the ITE regional group, and thats about it. but, its no more of a problem than any old porsche. the only well classed car is the GTC-1-2-3, and plan on spending $70k+ for a good GTC3

Fun factor: through the roof
reliability: 120 driving events and a steering race, and a defective waterpump that I installed. always driven to and from the track!
cost : cheap! as far as fast racers are concerned
performance: 1:40.2 at laguna, 1:50.7 at sears , 2:00 at thunderhill.
Plan on being up front for most regional SCCA ITE events. (unlimited production chassis, on DOT tires)

MK

Originally posted by tchandler
ok, lets assume someone has done Jim Russell and raced a few races in SCCA spec rx7. Fairly descent driver, but can always use imporvment.

Goal is to move up from spec 7 to faster car. Thought about spec 944, but doesn't seem that much different from spec rx7. Ideally I would like to get into the 180-250hp range.

Classes I am looking at: SCCA its/PCA Stock/Porsche Racing Club 911 spec.

Question. Which model would be the best to start with when building/buying a club racer.
914 w/3.0liter sc engine
944 turbo
early 911(1970-1973) w/either a 3.0liter or 3.2liter
what about the 1974-1977 models, can they be trusted?
1984 - 1989 911

928?(I've heard these are very expensive to work on, plus I've never seen on that was all that competitive. I did see one on speed vision a few years ago, but was never a front runner.)

Priorities:
1- reliablity
2- performance
3- budget
4- fun factor -I'd like to be somewhat competitive, but realize the budget is going to prevent me from being up front

Have a great day,
Tom
Old 10-13-2003, 07:11 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

those spec 911s are prepared by moorespeed, and plan on spending $50-70k on a fast one. if you are from Norcal, come out to sears to see a dirt cheap 928 (just finished a $10k car) and my red 928 run in the PRC race on Oct 24-5th

Mk

Thanks for all the replies. I think I will spend most of next year watching several venues to see what I like.

Also, I am taking an adult automotive repair class to help me do some of the wrenching myself. I will try to find out which cars are the easiest to work on as another criteria.

I am leaning towards the PCA club racing and less towards SCCA. Also, here in NORCAL a few years ago some guys got toghether and started the PRC- (porsche racing club). I have been following them closely and looks like a lot of fun. The have a 911 spec series which looks interesting.

Hopefully wathcing and learning from these folks and you all will help me narrow down my choices.

Thnx again. Tom
Old 10-14-2003, 01:03 AM
tchandler
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mark,
I'll be there spectating at Sears Point on the 24th/25th. I have a friend who runds gt3 with the prc. We must be talking about a different spec 911. I am refering to the 911 cup series designed for older 911s. Can't really do much to the enging and only a few suspension mods. The pres. of our local pca club runs in this class. I know his car is around 15k-20k.

Your car sounds great, but I have always been warned about the HIGH cost of maintenance on a 928. My mechanic told me you have to take the engine out for even simple repairs a lot of the time. Doesn't sound like you have had any problems...lucky or is it really that bullet proof. Plus, I was told they don't hadle that well, but your results would imply otherwise.

If your not to busy that weekend I'll introduce myself.
Good Luck
Old 10-14-2003, 01:37 AM
pig4bill
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Re: best model to use for race car

Originally posted by mark kibort
reliability: 120 driving events and a steering race, and a defective waterpump that I installed. always driven to and from the track!
I know you drive it to Laguna. Do you drive it to further out tracks like Thunderhill, Buttonwillow, and Willow Springs?
Old 10-14-2003, 08:49 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Default Re: Re: Re: best model to use for race car

Yes, all of the above. (or below)

willow springs a couple of times, but always to buttonwillow, and thunderhhil. Heck, only 3 short hours or less in comfort (less the earplugs)

mk

Originally posted by pig4bill
I know you drive it to Laguna. Do you drive it to further out tracks like Thunderhill, Buttonwillow, and Willow Springs?
Old 10-14-2003, 08:58 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

No, I was actually talking about the spec 911(older one) these are built up 911s from moorspeed, and they are very expensive. (to be competitive) engines are build up and have cams and other not so radical mods, but they are nicely designed, retro fitted chassis , race cars. like i said, the top 4-5 cars are in the $50 to $70k range. Cup cars are $120k and are can be 5 seconds faster with a top driver than my 928. but, we are talking $20k vs $100k. not to mention that 5-6 seconds is them on slicks and with 250lbs less weight!! (and kevin buckler at the wheel!) As far as a club racer, the 928 was able to finish 5th out of 12 996GT3cup cars in our last race in laguna. so, yes, it is a bargain for fun!!!

If your friend in the spec 911 costs only $15k, he will get killed by the NASA PRC folks. talk to rich walton, ben and a few of the other spec racers. they are built up pretty well, and are not cheap. You cant even find a used '84 911 in decent shape stock, for $15k!!(and thats before race mods)

come on by and say hi!! by all means!!

the 928 is very dependable if you got through it once to start. after that, they are practicably indestructable. 120 race days, and 1 dnf due to a defective water pump .

MK

Mark,
I'll be there spectating at Sears Point on the 24th/25th. I have a friend who runds gt3 with the prc. We must be talking about a different spec 911. I am refering to the 911 cup series designed for older 911s. Can't really do much to the enging and only a few suspension mods. The pres. of our local pca club runs in this class. I know his car is around 15k-20k.

Your car sounds great, but I have always been warned about the HIGH cost of maintenance on a 928. My mechanic told me you have to take the engine out for even simple repairs a lot of the time. Doesn't sound like you have had any problems...lucky or is it really that bullet proof. Plus, I was told they don't hadle that well, but your results would imply otherwise.

If your not to busy that weekend I'll introduce myself.
Good Luck
Old 10-16-2003, 01:42 AM
fatbillybob
Drifting

Received 130 Likes on 84 Posts

Mark,

Without giving away all your secrets what is your setup for the 928? I have always been interested in one. I used to have one. What are the wheels you run stock? Where did you get the headers? Any EFI mods or are you really stock besides headers and exhaust? 300hp at the rear wheels was a bit tall for these cars wasn't it? What camber settings any adjustable suspension?
Old 10-16-2003, 07:19 AM
special tool
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Geo - that is a good idea about those BMW's - I mean the 325 that won the northeast regionals at Lime Rock a couple of weeks ago was pulling everyone (except the other 6 cyl. Bmw's) down the straight like nothing. I would love to see a compilation of national lap times between them and the Mazdas and the cars that belong in the class.
Old 10-16-2003, 05:46 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

hey, no secrets. any old 928S or S4 of the 4 valve version will put down close to 300hp rear wheel with a nice set of equal length headers. after that, its just gut and go. Suspension is so easy, it is a bolt on afair. alignment is 1.5 degrees front and 2 degrees rear. put on the larger rims and tires, no mods needed, just a baseball bat to roll the fender slightly, and you are good to go. ride hight 120mm front and 135mm rear devek has the headers, and there are no EFI mods needed, although i used a fuel regulator just to be sure my mixtures were better than stock for racing ($140 bolt on affair) wheels are 9s up front and 11s in the rear with your choise of tires, ranging from 255 to 285 up front or 275 to 335 in the rear.

mk

QUOTE]Originally posted by fatbillybob
Mark,

Without giving away all your secrets what is your setup for the 928? I have always been interested in one. I used to have one. What are the wheels you run stock? Where did you get the headers? Any EFI mods or are you really stock besides headers and exhaust? 300hp at the rear wheels was a bit tall for these cars wasn't it? What camber settings any adjustable suspension?
[/QUOTE]
Old 10-17-2003, 01:02 PM
fatbillybob
Drifting

Received 130 Likes on 84 Posts

MK,

Thanks for the info. Now the hard part is finding a decent 928s4. There should be tons in the L.A. area but people either think they have struck gold (want way too much money) or the cars are beat to heck with gigantic mileage on them (that big back glass area used as sunroom for the neighborhood dogs). I don't care what the car I buy looks like but it has to be straight and have a decent motor. I really want to just do the minimum and have some fun. I can rebuild motrors etc but that is just too many weedends away from having fun! Again thanks for the tips. Still looking in L.A.....
Old 10-17-2003, 05:10 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

That is the trick. good and bad. Good in that you are near 928 international and they could check out the car for you . bad, LA is trerrible on cars. However, the 928, if not ever overheated, is bullet! change the clucth, suspension headers and gut and you are ready to rage
Mk

Originally posted by fatbillybob
MK,

Thanks for the info. Now the hard part is finding a decent 928s4. There should be tons in the L.A. area but people either think they have struck gold (want way too much money) or the cars are beat to heck with gigantic mileage on them (that big back glass area used as sunroom for the neighborhood dogs). I don't care what the car I buy looks like but it has to be straight and have a decent motor. I really want to just do the minimum and have some fun. I can rebuild motrors etc but that is just too many weedends away from having fun! Again thanks for the tips. Still looking in L.A.....

Quick Reply: best model to use for race car