Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is it safe to trim a fiberglass seat at the shoulders?

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2016, 10:07 PM
schaibaa
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I do have a Sparco Ergo but it is not nearly as comfortable as the Racetech. For the concern about a halo seat on the street, I am swapping seats between the OEM and a race seat for track time. I'm already swapping tires and brake pads, the seat swap only adds about 30 minutes.

Thanks!
Old 03-28-2016, 10:57 PM
schaibaa
Instructor

Just wanted to post an update - I called Racetech today and I think I spoke with Brian -- without prompting he suggested removing some padding and shaving some off of the shell as necessary. Would not impact the safety of the seat.

Glad to hear that from him and very (pleasantly) surprised that he suggested that.
Old 03-28-2016, 11:00 PM
winders
Race Car

Received 764 Likes on 387 Posts

Originally Posted by schaibaa
Just wanted to post an update - I called Racetech today and I think I spoke with Brian -- without prompting he suggested removing some padding and shaving some off of the shell as necessary. Would not impact the safety of the seat.

Glad to hear that from him and very (pleasantly) surprised that he suggested that.
Awesome! Don't take off too much....you want all the side bolster support you can keep.
Old 03-28-2016, 11:05 PM
schaibaa
Instructor

Originally Posted by winders
Awesome! Don't take off too much....you want all the side bolster support you can keep.
Yes absolutely. I sat in it and my shoulders are roughly 1-2" from the edge of the seat at the shoulder area. I need to remove about 1cm, or roughly 3/8". (Brian) seemed to think it would be difficult to notice (visually) that the shoulder area was trimmed. Very excited about this!
Old 03-28-2016, 11:12 PM
winders
Race Car

Received 764 Likes on 387 Posts

Not all that seat is there for when you are just sitting in it driving. The idea is to keep you as contained as possible in a wreck. The door is a lot harder than the seat which is why you want as much seat around you as you can keep.

Quick Reply: Is it safe to trim a fiberglass seat at the shoulders?