Lower back support

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2016, 10:52 PM
audipwr1
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 107 Posts
Default Lower back support

All,

I have a sensitive lower back, racecar seat doesnt help.

I recently injured my lower back and need to have a some sort of support to keep my natural arch while in the car to keep it from getting exacerbated.

Suggestions?
Old 03-25-2016, 10:55 PM
audipwr1
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 107 Posts

PS I have a little lumbar pad from Sparco - it helps a little bit, but need more support / locking in the arch
Old 03-25-2016, 11:06 PM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Best solution would be pouring a SFI Foam or a bead seat.

Also the Backsaver pad seen here at Pegasus is awesome for this as well.

https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/pr...asp?RecID=1059
Old 03-26-2016, 10:49 AM
por944s2
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Amazon.com: Core Products Small Inflatable Lumbar Cushion - Blue: Health & Personal Care Amazon.com: Core Products Small Inflatable Lumbar Cushion - Blue: Health & Personal Care

Love this !!
Old 03-28-2016, 04:36 PM
GMP911
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just had a Speed Seat poured on Saturday that is custom made to your body/seat combination. They were very professional and have made seats for many pro drivers. They pour track side and finish at their shop and send you your custom insert.

http://www.speedseatfactory.com/Full...t_Process.html
Old 03-28-2016, 08:38 PM
johneecatt
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by GMP911
I just had a Speed Seat poured on Saturday that is custom made to your body/seat combination. They were very professional and have made seats for many pro drivers. They pour track side and finish at their shop and send you your custom insert.

http://www.speedseatfactory.com/Full...t_Process.html
What does that process / product cost?
Old 03-29-2016, 09:01 AM
jerome951
Drifting

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by audipwr1
PS I have a little lumbar pad from Sparco - it helps a little bit, but need more support / locking in the arch
I probably have the same pad. Interestingly, putting it behind the seatback padding (rather than between my back and the padding) seemed to exaggerate the benefits. You might want to give that a try.
Old 03-29-2016, 10:24 AM
GMP911
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by johneecatt
What does that process / product cost?
The process begins with removal of all the the existing padding in your race seat then a thin, dense foam core material is loosely put in the seat. A large plastic bag is then put over the seat and filled with flame retardant liquid polyurethane at this point the driver sits on the bag of liquid and the liquid foams and expands around your legs and all the way up your back. You sit still for 10 minutes to allow the foam to harden. The insert is then removed and excess foam is removed and then placed back in the seat and you check it for fit and comfort, small adjustments can be made if any areas don't feel right. This rough shell is then returned to their shop and professionally finished and covered, your name is sewn in for ID with teams with multiple drivers.

The insert isn't cheap, about $2200, but to be custom fitted into your car/seat and drive without the pain of a stock seat - you make the call. Professional drivers have gained 1-2 seconds in lap time as a result of feeling "planted" in the car.

I don't have any affiliation with this company, but they did a great job and are very customer service oriented. Jody is the owner and pours most of the seats he's a former racer so he speaks from experience.
Old 03-29-2016, 02:28 PM
analogmike
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 39 Posts

With the Recaro/OMP type seats, you can put pads behind the normal back pad as someone said above. I put a LOT of padding there as my back is very bad, and it really helps me drive and not get tired.
Old 03-29-2016, 02:58 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,827 Likes on 1,667 Posts

Originally Posted by GMP911
The insert isn't cheap, about $2200, but to be custom fitted into your car/seat and drive without the pain of a stock seat - you make the call.

Professional drivers have gained 1-2 seconds in lap time as a result of feeling "planted" in the car.
Driver comfort, optimal ergonomics and proper support for every part of the driver's body that comes into contact with the car is key to best performance and safety.

I have SEEN this kind of time improvement from experienced drivers (and pros in cars new to them) countless times.

If you're thinking of how much you hurt, you can't devote all your attention to driving well and fast.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Quick Reply: Lower back support