Sponsored by:

Six (6) worst towing mistakes.

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2016, 07:40 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 507 Likes on 338 Posts
Default Six (6) worst towing mistakes.

Some very basic stuff, but critical knowledge. I went to esurance 6 trailer mistakes, pulled up the article, and cut and pasted it below. I apologize to those that went to the original link and got a sales pitch for insurance.

Labor Day weekend is coming up and that means roads full of vacationers towing their homes-away-from-home behind them. If you plan to be one of them, make sure to avoid these common towing mistakes — you’ll enjoy your holiday much more and so will the people driving behind you.

1. Not knowing your ratings
Your tow vehicle (the vehicle doing the towing) can only carry and haul so much weight. Overloading your tow vehicle, trailer, or both can cause a whole host of problems like failing brakes, broken suspensions, overheated transmissions, or blown-out tires. None of these things make for happy campers, and some can be very dangerous.

Remember to look up your vehicle’s tow ratings before you attempt to tow anything and make sure your hitch system matches your vehicle’s towing specs. All of the following numbers need to be checked and complied with. Your tow vehicle’s specs are generally listed in your owner’s manual and on the sill of your driver’s-side door. Your trailer’s unloaded weight (along with its weight ratings) can be found on its Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) plate.

Gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR): the weight limit for your vehicle (including the vehicle itself plus passengers, cargo, and accessories).

Gross combination weight rating (GCWR): the maximum weight of the tow vehicle plus the loaded trailer, equipment, passengers, fuel, and anything else you plan to haul or carry.

Gross axle weight rating (GAWR): the amount of weight a single axle can safely bear. It’s important to know this value for both your tow vehicle and your trailer.

Towing capacity: the amount of weight your vehicle can pull.

Tongue weight: the amount of the trailer’s weight that is borne by the trailer hitch. Ideally, this should be about 10 percent of the total trailer weight. Too much tongue weight will make your vehicle’s steering less responsive. Too little and the trailer might sway. Tongue weight can be measured using a specialized scale (available at trailer supply shops).

If you’re having trouble estimating the combined weight of your trailer plus cargo, take the loaded trailer to a vehicle scale at a nearby weigh station or truck stop.

2. Not checking the local regulations
A ticket is nobody’s idea of a great vacation souvenir, so remember that towing laws and restrictions vary from state to state. While most states require taillights on your trailer and safety chains that connect the trailer to the tow vehicle, some states also require special braking equipment or additional side and rearview mirrors.

States also differ on their maximum towing speeds, the maximum trailer width, and the number of vehicles you’re allowed to tow. So be sure to know the laws, not just for your home state, but for any state you might pass through.

3. Forgetting to put on the brakes (and the wires)
The added weight of the trailer gives your vehicle extra momentum, which means it takes longer to reduce your speed. For this reason, many states require trailers over a certain weight (usually 1,500 lb.) to be equipped with a separate braking system. Trailer brakes not only improve control, but also will stop the trailer if it gets separated from the tow vehicle. The 2 types of trailer brakes are electronic (which are attached to a controller in the tow vehicle) and surge (independent hydraulic brakes that are activated by momentum). Not all jurisdictions allow surge brakes, so check your local laws.

Because cars behind you can’t see the lights on your tow vehicle, federal law requires trailers to be equipped with brake lights, taillights, turn signals, and reflectors. These are powered by a connector that hooks up to your vehicle’s electrical system. Make sure your wires are taut enough not to drag on the road, but loose enough not to disconnect during turns.

4. Loading your cargo improperly
If your trailer is off-balance, it will be difficult to control. Make sure cargo is distributed evenly, with about 60 percent of the total weight in front of the axle (but not too far forward). Secure cargo items to prevent them from shifting and keep the overall center of gravity low.

RELATED: Towing and Labor Coverage Defined

5. Forgetting you’re towing a trailer
No matter how strong or nimble your tow vehicle is, it’ll be less responsive once it has a trailer behind it. Since you won’t be able to accelerate, turn, or brake as fast, you’ll want to look further up the road and give yourself extra time and space to change lanes or slow down. It’s also a good idea to do some short practice drives before heading out on your big trip.

6. Not checking tire pressure
If you haven’t taken your trailer out for a while, there’s a good chance the tires need inflating. Driving a fully loaded trailer with underinflated tires is very dangerous — underinflated tires produce more friction, which can lead to blow-outs and possible rollovers. Be sure to check the tire pressure on both your tow vehicle and your trailer before you go (and while you’re at it, check the tires themselves for signs of wear).

Last edited by Martin S.; 03-26-2016 at 11:40 PM.
Old 03-26-2016, 07:51 PM
Joe Weinstein
Three Wheelin'

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Link doesn't work, takes me to a generic 'buy insurance' page...
Old 03-26-2016, 08:42 PM
Thundermoose
Burning Brakes

Received 103 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe Weinstein
Link doesn't work, takes me to a generic 'buy insurance' page...
I went ahead and signed up for insurance and it still didn't take me to the promised link.
Old 03-26-2016, 08:51 PM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 494 Posts

This link seems to work:

6 top trailering mistakes
Old 03-26-2016, 09:15 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,317 Likes on 800 Posts

Originally Posted by Frank 993 C4S
This link seems to work:

6 top trailering mistakes
Nope.
Old 03-26-2016, 10:21 PM
JRMaroon
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is what came up when searching "6 top trailering mistakes esurance"

1. Not knowing your ratings
Your tow vehicle (the vehicle doing the towing) can only carry and haul so much weight. Overloading your tow vehicle, trailer, or both can cause a whole host of problems like failing brakes, broken suspensions, overheated transmissions, or blown-out tires. None of these things make for happy campers, and some can be very dangerous.

Remember to look up your vehicle’s tow ratings before you attempt to tow anything and make sure your hitch system matches your vehicle’s towing specs. All of the following numbers need to be checked and complied with. Your tow vehicle’s specs are generally listed in your owner’s manual and on the sill of your driver’s-side door. Your trailer’s unloaded weight (along with its weight ratings) can be found on its Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) plate.

Gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR): the weight limit for your vehicle (including the vehicle itself plus passengers, cargo, and accessories).

Gross combination weight rating (GCWR): the maximum weight of the tow vehicle plus the loaded trailer, equipment, passengers, fuel, and anything else you plan to haul or carry.

Gross axle weight rating (GAWR): the amount of weight a single axle can safely bear. It’s important to know this value for both your tow vehicle and your trailer.

Towing capacity: the amount of weight your vehicle can pull.

Tongue weight: the amount of the trailer’s weight that is borne by the trailer hitch. Ideally, this should be about 10 percent of the total trailer weight. Too much tongue weight will make your vehicle’s steering less responsive. Too little and the trailer might sway. Tongue weight can be measured using a specialized scale (available at trailer supply shops).

If you’re having trouble estimating the combined weight of your trailer plus cargo, take the loaded trailer to a vehicle scale at a nearby weigh station or truck stop.

2. Not checking the local regulations
A ticket is nobody’s idea of a great vacation souvenir, so remember that towing laws and restrictions vary from state to state. While most states require taillights on your trailer and safety chains that connect the trailer to the tow vehicle, some states also require special braking equipment or additional side and rearview mirrors.

States also differ on their maximum towing speeds, the maximum trailer width, and the number of vehicles you’re allowed to tow. So be sure to know the laws, not just for your home state, but for any state you might pass through.

3. Forgetting to put on the brakes (and the wires)
The added weight of the trailer gives your vehicle extra momentum, which means it takes longer to reduce your speed. For this reason, many states require trailers over a certain weight (usually 1,500 lb.) to be equipped with a separate braking system. Trailer brakes not only improve control, but also will stop the trailer if it gets separated from the tow vehicle. The 2 types of trailer brakes are electronic (which are attached to a controller in the tow vehicle) and surge (independent hydraulic brakes that are activated by momentum). Not all jurisdictions allow surge brakes, so check your local laws.

Because cars behind you can’t see the lights on your tow vehicle, federal law requires trailers to be equipped with brake lights, taillights, turn signals, and reflectors. These are powered by a connector that hooks up to your vehicle’s electrical system. Make sure your wires are taut enough not to drag on the road, but loose enough not to disconnect during turns.

4. Loading your cargo improperly
If your trailer is off-balance, it will be difficult to control. Make sure cargo is distributed evenly, with about 60 percent of the total weight in front of the axle (but not too far forward). Secure cargo items to prevent them from shifting and keep the overall center of gravity low.

RELATED: Towing and Labor Coverage Defined

5. Forgetting you’re towing a trailer
No matter how strong or nimble your tow vehicle is, it’ll be less responsive once it has a trailer behind it. Since you won’t be able to accelerate, turn, or brake as fast, you’ll want to look further up the road and give yourself extra time and space to change lanes or slow down. It’s also a good idea to do some short practice drives before heading out on your big trip.

6. Not checking tire pressure
If you haven’t taken your trailer out for a while, there’s a good chance the tires need inflating. Driving a fully loaded trailer with underinflated tires is very dangerous — underinflated tires produce more friction, which can lead to blow-outs and possible rollovers. Be sure to check the tire pressure on both your tow vehicle and your trailer before you go (and while you’re at it, check the tires themselves for signs of wear).

Check your coverage capacity
One safety precaution you should always take is having adequate insurance. If your tow vehicle is insured, you can get basic liability coverage for your trailer under your auto policy. But travel trailer insurance offers much broader coverage, including total loss recovery, personal effects replacement, funds for lodging if your trailer is damaged, and even a full-timers package (if you live in your trailer year-round).
Old 03-26-2016, 10:24 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 3,287 Likes on 1,589 Posts

When I had an open trailer #5 used to get me. I would leave early in the morning and when the sun would come up I would look in the rear view mirror and freak out! - "why the F is this guy tail-gating me!"

Then I would realize it was the car I was towing. Every time.
Old 03-26-2016, 10:26 PM
DTMiller
Rennlist Member

Received 272 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by LuigiVampa
When I had an open trailer #5 used to get me. I would leave early in the morning and when the sun would come up I would look in the rear view mirror and freak out! - "why the F is this guy tail-gating me!"

Then I would realize it was the car I was towing. Every time.
I do this every time. Hey a$$hole!! Oh, that's me.
Old 03-27-2016, 07:14 AM
PLNewman
Burning Brakes

Received 124 Likes on 67 Posts

This may sound silly, but I feel that long towing trips have made me a better driver ON TRACK. I'm much better at scanning in the distance and anticipating traffic. I'm very aware of highway strategy, speed maintenance, braking input, fuel conservation, steady hands, watching my mirrors. In city traffic, towing a rig is an extreme exercise in momentum driving.

On track, in an underpowered Spec Boxster, I often double-check my rear mirror to make sure I don't have a trailer hooked up.
Old 03-27-2016, 01:59 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Smile

Originally Posted by PLNewman
This may sound silly, but I feel that long towing trips have made me a better driver ON TRACK. I'm much better at scanning in the distance and anticipating traffic. I'm very aware of highway strategy, speed maintenance, braking input, fuel conservation, steady hands, watching my mirrors. In city traffic, towing a rig is an extreme exercise in momentum driving.
Towing does make one really focus and anticipate situations. All that mentioned above are Best Practices.....I also:
1. Make certain my Tundra brakes are tip top,
2. Have my trailer bearings repacked 1X per year and repack the bearings,
3. Check all air pressures before leaving home and before leaving the track.
Old 03-27-2016, 02:11 PM
Doc GTO
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Great information for anyone towing. I have seen some really bad stuff over the years.

They should put a #7:

Get rid of the cheap China-bomb tires that come on most trailers. Especially with the heavier enclosed trailers running 6K or higher axles.
Old 03-27-2016, 02:25 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Doc GTO
They should put a #7:Get rid of the cheap China-bomb tires that come on most trailers. Especially with the heavier enclosed trailers running 6K or higher axles.
This is a must....see if your fender wells will take oversize tires...and note the angle of the loading ramp will be more severe. You may experience a rub. I went from 15" to 16", taller, wider, on my Becker trailer to come: TIRE/WHEEL - ST235/80R16/LRE - RADIAL ON ALUMINUM - W/STAINLESS STEEL LUGNUTS
Old 03-27-2016, 05:00 PM
philstireservice
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's pretty difficult not to run Chinese made tires, because just about every trailer tire offered is made in China or thereabouts.

2 other important items not mentioned above, that we do for all our customers are:

- metal valve stems in all trailer wheels
- balance every tire we mount on a trailer wheel
Old 03-27-2016, 08:16 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by philstireservice
It's pretty difficult not to run Chinese made tires, because just about every trailer tire offered is made in China or thereabouts.

2 other important items not mentioned above, that we do for all our customers are:

- metal valve stems in all trailer wheels
- balance every tire we mount on a trailer wheel
Two (2) more musts:
- metal valve stems in all trailer wheels,
- balance every tire we mount on a trailer wheel.
Old 03-27-2016, 10:59 PM
mhm993
Rennlist Member

Received 221 Likes on 148 Posts

Not having a lug wrench.

Quick Reply: Six (6) worst towing mistakes.