Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trailer Question

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2016, 12:35 PM
Drew_K
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This will vary by car and trailer, but I've found that placing the side mirror directly over the front axle is a good starting point to balance the tongue weight. And as mentioned above, add tires to your rack, and you'll need to move your car further back on the trailer.
Old 03-24-2016, 12:38 PM
Kein_Ersatz
Rennlist Member

Received 243 Likes on 172 Posts

Way too much weight up front. I thought I read that axels can be moved some on the trail floor for Trailex. If it was set up for a 911 (weight out back), then the trailer set up / load in needs reconfigured for front end motor car.
Old 03-24-2016, 02:20 PM
BlueBarchetta
Instructor

Received 40 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Frank 993 C4S
Suggest you buy a Sherline scale to measure it and be safe. You are already likely exceeding the rating of your hitch. When you load tires on the rack later, you will need to move your car even further aft to maintain the correct tongue weight.

I bet this solves your problem.
Another method would be to go to a truck scale. Place the unhitched front of the trailer on one of the scale pads, and the tires on another. Take a level, and adjust the front Jack till the trailer is level. Then you can roll the car back until you achieve the proper balance between axle and tongue weight, double checking that the trailer is still level.
Old 03-24-2016, 02:26 PM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 808 Likes on 494 Posts

or use your bathroom scale and a lever:

http://www.hitchingup.com/tongue-weight.htm
Old 03-24-2016, 02:36 PM
Beantown Kman
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by audipwr1
Way too much Tongue weight - I bet you are at 30%

911s you load way forward - front engine cars need to hang off the back
+1 Very much agree with this. Carl will tell you their trailers work fine for most cars. But the axle placement was based on carrying a 911. I trailer a Cayman (mid engine) and I have to load it just about as far back as it will go to get an appropriate tongue weight. It will be interesting to see if you can balance that trailer with a Corvette on it. Keep us posted.
Old 03-24-2016, 09:26 PM
KOAN
Rennlist Member

Received 159 Likes on 110 Posts

Carl's hobby ( or passion) is Corvettes. He knows exactly what axle position is right for you. Just level the trailer and set the tongue weight, and I'll bet you gain fender clearance.
Old 03-24-2016, 09:31 PM
BH987S
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

+1 Carl is knowledgeable, patient and helpful. Keep an open dialogue with him and he'll walk you through this.
Old 03-24-2016, 10:00 PM
Dr911
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Perhaps check your trailer's tire pressures?
Old 03-24-2016, 10:02 PM
schaibaa
Instructor

Originally Posted by Frank 993 C4S
I didn't say add it. I said to check it. Based on the picture, you will find out that your tongue weight is 1500+ lbs when it should only be 500 - 750 lbs. Suggest you buy a Sherline scale to measure it and be safe. You are already likely exceeding the rating of your hitch. When you load tires on the rack later, you will need to move your car even further aft to maintain the correct tongue weight.

I bet this solves your problem.
Ahh thanks for the clarification and apologies for making an assumption.

Yes I do agree, car needs to move back on the trailer. It was the first time on there so I'm still getting it figured out. My truck was sagging 2-2.5 inches, and from what I understand, my Raptor leafs are ~180lbs/inch each. Tongue weight was definitely too high.

Thanks again to everyone, this thread has been very helpful.

I did notice that the axles are pretty far back. I haven't seen how they could adjust but I am going to look into that.

One other thing, I have only used the winch once but it looks like the winch stand has some stress marks. I asked Carl about this and he said it is just the result of them bending the parts in house, but I don't know if the pictures came through clearly enough to show the marks I was talking about. I also didn't want to keep bothering.

Could anyone share an opinion on this:

Old 03-24-2016, 10:04 PM
schaibaa
Instructor

Originally Posted by Dr911
Perhaps check your trailer's tire pressures?
Yup I aired them up to exactly 50 PSI before the trip.
Old 03-24-2016, 11:14 PM
Dr911
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Something else to consider: the nice thing about these lovely Trailex bolted haulers is that you can adjust the front chocks.
Once you identify your spot (maybe best done w spare wheels on the rack) may try repositioning the chocks so it's a no brainer next time.
Old 03-24-2016, 11:24 PM
schaibaa
Instructor

Originally Posted by Dr911
Something else to consider: the nice thing about these lovely Trailex bolted haulers is that you can adjust the front chocks.
Once you identify your spot (maybe best done w spare wheels on the rack) may try repositioning the chocks so it's a no brainer next time.
Yes sir - absolutely. Looking forward to getting it all setup and automatic.
Old 03-25-2016, 09:18 AM
KOAN
Rennlist Member

Received 159 Likes on 110 Posts

Nice looking Vette, BTW!
Old 03-25-2016, 09:38 PM
schaibaa
Instructor

Originally Posted by Chuck Price
Nice looking Vette, BTW!
Thanks much!!

I put it back on the trailer today about 6" further back. Tongue weight seemed better (was not able to measure) but the tires did not rub or anything. I am going to flip my receiver over, which will help too.

After moving the car back, I ran in to a problem where the rear D-Rings were too close to the tires. I decided to cross them in the rear this time but I am going to see if there is any way to move the axles forward. I would be much better off if the axles were ~6" forward of their current position.
Old 03-25-2016, 09:42 PM
rlm328
Rennlist Member

Received 309 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by schaibaa
Thanks much!!

I put it back on the trailer today about 6" further back. Tongue weight seemed better (was not able to measure) but the tires did not rub or anything. I am going to flip my receiver over, which will help too.

After moving the car back, I ran in to a problem where the rear D-Rings were too close to the tires. I decided to cross them in the rear this time but I am going to see if there is any way to move the axles forward. I would be much better off if the axles were ~6" forward of their current position.
Can you relocate or add another set of D-rings?

Quick Reply: Trailer Question