Sponsored by:

Trailer Question

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2016, 09:49 PM
schaibaa
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rlm328
Can you relocate or add another set of D-rings?
They are very close to the end of the trailer already. This pic is with the car loaded too far forward. I suppose I actually moved it back about 8".

Old 03-25-2016, 10:24 PM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 858 Likes on 527 Posts

IMHO - You will need to cross the rear straps and (preferably) find some different tie down points on the chasis than your wheels because your car still seems to be too far forward. I can tie down my 911 that way, but not my mid engine Cayman. A front engine car would need to go even further back.
Old 03-25-2016, 10:35 PM
schaibaa
Instructor

Originally Posted by Frank 993 C4S
IMHO - You will need to cross the rear straps and (preferably) find some different tie down points on the chasis than your wheels because your car still seems to be too far forward. I can tie down my 911 that way, but not my mid engine Cayman. A front engine car would need to go even further back.
Really hoping I won't have to cross the rears, but it is looking that way. They are so close to the D rings that the majority of the tension is lateral when crossed.

If I can move the axles about 12" forward, that would really help.
Old 03-26-2016, 06:36 AM
linzman
Rennlist Member

Received 91 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by schaibaa
Really hoping I won't have to cross the rears, but it is looking that way. They are so close to the D rings that the majority of the tension is lateral when crossed.

If I can move the axles about 12" forward, that would really help.
All the 944 guys I know with open Trailexes cross the rear straps. Never been a problem that I'm aware of. It would be nice to add some chassis tiedowns so you don't pull on the wheels diagonally. Easier that all that moving the axles bit.
Old 03-26-2016, 09:00 AM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 566 Likes on 390 Posts

WRT crossing the rear ties
β is the angle that the strap makes from straight back

the force in the strap can be resolved into 2 perpendicular parts

a is the force that stops the car from rolling forward or backward, this is the important one
b is the force that stops the rear of the car from moving side to side, this is unimportant as the tires do the vast majority of the work in this direction

as β increases

a decreases and b increases
Is that really what you want??
Old 03-26-2016, 11:42 AM
mhm993
Rennlist Member

Received 221 Likes on 148 Posts

So clearly the car needs to ride a foot back from the front. I generally put front engine cars as far back as possible as trailex's are generally set up for rear engine cars. Regarding the straps being at an inconvenient angle, someone is going to make a corvette solution. For our 911's, someone manufactures tie down loops that permanently attach to sub frame bolts. They attach a little inboard of the wheels but not so far that Bill's "force b" becomes problematic. I would think a 5 minute search on corvette boards would yield the answer.
Old 03-26-2016, 11:55 AM
Dr911
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Verburg
WRT crossing the rear ties β is the angle that the strap makes from straight back the force in the strap can be resolved into 2 perpendicular parts a is the force that stops the car from rolling forward or backward, this is the important one b is the force that stops the rear of the car from moving side to side, this is unimportant as the tires do the vast majority of the work in this direction as β increases a decreases and b increases Is that really what you want??

^^^KEY POINT
I never cross the rear tie downs.
Old 03-26-2016, 12:23 PM
schaibaa
Instructor

Originally Posted by mhm993
So clearly the car needs to ride a foot back from the front. I generally put front engine cars as far back as possible as trailex's are generally set up for rear engine cars. Regarding the straps being at an inconvenient angle, someone is going to make a corvette solution. For our 911's, someone manufactures tie down loops that permanently attach to sub frame bolts. They attach a little inboard of the wheels but not so far that Bill's "force b" becomes problematic. I would think a 5 minute search on corvette boards would yield the answer.
There are definitely ways to tie into the frame - there are slots right in the frame rails. Many tie down experts (macs, etc) do not suggest using these for a variety of reasons and wheel straps are preferred. I may end up using the slots though. Much faster.
Old 03-26-2016, 12:56 PM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 858 Likes on 527 Posts

Is that really what you want??
Bill - excellent point, however my sense is that this car needs to be moved back to where pretty much the tires are right in front of the tie downs which will make it impossible to fit a ratchet in between the tie down and tire.
Old 03-26-2016, 01:05 PM
audipwr1
Rennlist Member

Received 178 Likes on 113 Posts

WRT crossing the rear ties β is the angle that the strap makes from straight back the force in the strap can be resolved into 2 perpendicular parts a is the force that stops the car from rolling forward or backward, this is the important one b is the force that stops the rear of the car from moving side to side, this is unimportant as the tires do the vast majority of the work in this direction as β increases a decreases and b increases Is that really what you want??
Diagonal helps more than you might think

Drive 400 miles non crossed and then do them crossed

Non crossed I bet you will see one or two straps loose from the car shifting
Old 03-26-2016, 01:33 PM
DTMiller
Rennlist Member

Received 317 Likes on 173 Posts

On my steel deck I had to cross the fronts. On my new to me trailex I have to cross the rears to get the car positioned correctly. Only have one trip with the new trailer but while I would prefer not to cross them I'd be pretty shocked to have a real problem that way.
Old 03-26-2016, 03:04 PM
skxf430
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by schaibaa
There are definitely ways to tie into the frame - there are slots right in the frame rails. Many tie down experts (macs, etc) do not suggest using these for a variety of reasons and wheel straps are preferred. I may end up using the slots though. Much faster.
On my Z06, I would always use the frame slots to tow. Never had a strap come loose and the tension was nearly horizontal and the suspension would not be overly compressed at all. And, I would cross the rears as it was a better angle and the straps didn't come in contact with the tires.

Conversely, on my Cayman, I go through the wheels have had straps come loose when utilizing a straight pull. I am adding the Rennline tiedown hooks so hopefully, it will make it more secure.
Old 03-26-2016, 03:57 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 525 Likes on 347 Posts
Default My Trailer Experience (Long)

There may be a glimmer of insight here, things I have learned by incorporating my personal 3X rule when it comes to cars, example, I am on my 3rd suspension after the stock, have had 3X + muffler systems, 3X Data Loggers, 3X+ race seats, 3X+ different tire and wheel brands, so it it should be no surprise that I am about to unpack on my fourth var hauler, from Haulmark 20' enclosed, to Featherlite 3110 17' 6" car trailer, to Trailex CT 8045...sold all of these, and now my latest an all aluminum Becker 20' enclosed with a drivers side escape door, awesome.

On all three (3) trailers I have had, Haulmark 20' enclosed, Featherlite 17' 6" car trailer 3110, Trailex CT 8045 14.6' for the square area of the bed, I crossed the front straps, and went straight back on the rears. I also attached the straps to the tub of the 911.

Trailering History : First I started with a 20' Hallmark, bought it used. It weighed 3,000 Lbs dry. I used a weight distribution hitch and added some auxiliary springs to the rear of my 2006 4.7 V* Tundra: It towed like a dream and kept me out of the weather at the track. But the view to the rear was always scary, just didn't know what was back there...compare to towing an open trailer. Kept it for over 10 years....started lusting for the simplicity of an open trailer, better view to the rear, better mileage, easier aess to the drivers door to get the car in and out of the trailer, etc.

A Featherlite Featherlite 17' 6" car trailer 3110, popped up at an estate sale...I bought it and sold my Hallmark, broke even on the sale. Who doesn't want a Feratherlite, all the Big Boys have them!

But a few months later, I got the hots for a Trailex open trailer...300 Lbs lighter, supposedly easier to tow, and it was bolted together, no welds to crack. I could live with the square of the deck being 3' shorter than the Featherlite, couldn't I? The open Trailex bottom gives you access to the under side of the cars for simple repairs. I call BS on this...jack stands provide far better access. And with the Trailex, you can have a tire rack and and a wind screen, nearly impossible to easily mount both on a Featherlite 17' 6" car trailer 3110. However, the Trailex Tire Rack is mounted very high detrimental for streamlining (mileage) and tough on the back schlepping 50 Lb tires high up into the air.

Trailex: As to placement of the spare and a Trailex tool box, really think through where you will mount them. The way I stupidly mounted the box and the spare aft to the the trailing axel (Factory recommendation), it became nearly impossible to hook up the rear of my 993 standing up. I had to crawl under the car to make the rear connection. Not so much fun in the rain

Compared to the Featherlite....the Trailex
1. Was 300 Lbs lighter, definitely a plus, providing an added 3 to 4 mpg,
up to 12 from 9 mpg.
2. Could mount windscreeen and tire rack on the Trailex, but that damn tire rack scrapes the sky providing more drag. Don't know how much as I didn't add a tire rack to my Trailex. But, with the Featherlite, I did have a custom tire rack installed, and because of the extra bed length, it could be mounted lower to the bed, providing for optimal streamlining, saving my back, and at the same time, I could balance the position of the car for optimal tongue weight,
4. The longer Featherlite allowed me to but a storage box on the tongue, and because of the sold deck, I could tie down a plastic storage box, two if need me. Not so with the Trailex, need to add the box aft of the trailer fender, NOT a good idea
5. With the Trailex open deck, it is difficult to but a spare box ahead of the car
6. The Featherlite ramps are easier to pull out and engage, but they are shorter than the Trailex. This may be a problem with super low cars and ramp extensions may be required. The Featherlite ramps are wider than the Trailex, a comfort factor.
7. The Featherlite ramps can be bolted in place for travel, not the case with trailer. They can rattle around when towing empty, a little annoying.
8. Brakes: The Trailex came with Hydraulic Override, touted to be simple, put there is no gradual breaking in most cases, they either on, or they are off. When they kick in with a 3,900 Lb load behind your tow vehicle, you'll experience a wee bit of a pucker factor. You also need to maintain the hydraulic system, another chore. Electric brakes were an option...the previous owner did not choose them.

The Featherlite came with "Electric Brakes.....Through a controller mounted in your vehicle, electric brakes apply a constant and variable amount of braking on your trailer. Your trailer is braking and not pushing your vehicle which is a huge benefit. Electric brakes are smoother and safer especially in off road situations. The brakes can also be manually applied via the controller in you vehicle, great for drying out brakes after a water crossing. Also if you are in a situation where you are descending in low range in a low gear you can apply trailer braking manually as and when required to take the load off the vehicle."

Both Featherlite and Trailex open trailers have their unique features. But having experienced both brands, , their top of the line open trailers, I have concluded, the enclosed is best for me. If for no other reason than security and weather protection. I am having a Becker/ATX 20' enclosed trailer built for me. It has an escape door feature that is awesome, in my opinion. 2,700 Lbs try, all aluminum and all wired up for shore power, when available.
http://www.beckercustomtrailers.com/...door-carhauler I am also installing a Reese weight distribution hitch...want to tongue weigh to be optimal. that 10 to 15% #.
Old 03-26-2016, 04:22 PM
audipwr1
Rennlist Member

Received 178 Likes on 113 Posts

Go 24ft - those extra 4 feet make a huge difference
Old 03-26-2016, 06:44 PM
linzman
Rennlist Member

Received 91 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by audipwr1
Go 24ft - those extra 4 feet make a huge difference
^^^^^THIS.