Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pelican may offer safety equipment - need your feedback!

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2016, 02:29 PM
PelicanParts.com
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 35 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Pelican may offer safety equipment - need your feedback!

Hello Rennlisters!

We are exploring the possibility of offering safety equipment through our catalog! Products like helmets, gloves, suits, shoes & boots, seats, belts etc. What are your preferred brands and products?

888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST
Old 03-23-2016, 02:39 PM
JustinL
Drifting

Received 188 Likes on 104 Posts

I'd buy safety gear from Pelican if it was offered at a competitive price. I seem to have gravitated to Sparco and Alpinestar stuff.
Old 03-23-2016, 03:03 PM
PelicanParts.com
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by JustinL
I'd buy safety gear from Pelican if it was offered at a competitive price. I seem to have gravitated to Sparco and Alpinestar stuff.
Great info. Appreciate your feedback.
Old 03-23-2016, 05:33 PM
Cory M
Drifting

Received 74 Likes on 43 Posts

I don't know. Pelican is a great resource and I've bought my share of parts through the years, but I'd rather buy safety gear from a racing shop that specializes in that sort of thing. A good seller needs to be prepared to answer detailed questions, compare products, be familiar with racing regulations, compatibility, applications, etc.

For example: Will a pair of Momo Daytona XL seats fit in a 911SC? What brackets and hardware do I need to mount them? Is that seat slider approved by PCA? Do I need a seat back brace? How should I mount the harnesses? Will that be okay with my Hans device?

I suppose if you are just buying a pair of gloves for a DE it will be fine, but safety gear is meant to work as a system. Anyway that's just my opinion, take it or leave it.
Old 03-23-2016, 05:54 PM
Astroman
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Don't get me wrong, if I need some wheel bearings or brake rotors, I go straight to my Pelican "Project List" and take care of business. I have spent thousands of dollars at Pelican over the years. You guys are great.

But for my safety stuff, I will continue to support the "little guy" at places like OG and Apex (both PCA Club Racing sponsors).
Old 03-23-2016, 05:58 PM
PelicanParts.com
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Cory M
I don't know. Pelican is a great resource and I've bought my share of parts through the years, but I'd rather buy safety gear from a racing shop that specializes in that sort of thing. A good seller needs to be prepared to answer detailed questions, compare products, be familiar with racing regulations, compatibility, applications, etc.

For example: Will a pair of Momo Daytona XL seats fit in a 911SC? What brackets and hardware do I need to mount them? Is that seat slider approved by PCA? Do I need a seat back brace? How should I mount the harnesses? Will that be okay with my Hans device?

I suppose if you are just buying a pair of gloves for a DE it will be fine, but safety gear is meant to work as a system. Anyway that's just my opinion, take it or leave it.
Appreciate your input very much.
Old 03-23-2016, 05:59 PM
PelicanParts.com
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Astroman
Don't get me wrong, if I need some wheel bearings or brake rotors, I go straight to my Pelican "Project List" and take care of business. I have spent thousands of dollars at Pelican over the years. You guys are great.

But for my safety stuff, I will continue to support the "little guy" at places like OG and Apex (both PCA Club Racing sponsors).
Thank you for your reply, we appreciate your input.
Old 03-23-2016, 07:07 PM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

OG Racing and Stable Energies do a really nice job for us Folks in the NY Metro area.
Old 03-23-2016, 08:40 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 290 Likes on 172 Posts

I agree, have spent and will continue to spend tens of thousands of $$ on Pelican as they have parts for Porsche, BMW, and even my Benz but Apex, Stable Energies, and OG Racing will remain my race gear shops..
Old 03-23-2016, 10:05 PM
stujelly
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts

i think driver and crew safety gear is all personal preference. SO many tastes so many brands.

Sparco, stand 21, omp, in no particular order
Old 03-24-2016, 09:35 AM
uscarrera
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 695 Likes on 337 Posts

I too run to Pelican for my parts for maintaining everything from my Cup Car to a 1999 996 and have for years with great experiences. The loyalty I maintain for Pelican on the parts side I currently maintain for OG Racing, Apex Performance, Wine Country and a few others on the safety item side. One of my determining factors is an attempt to support those vendors who support our passion like PCA Racing National Sponsors and Pelican because of their web site and Forums support.
Rich
Old 03-24-2016, 02:18 PM
sbelles
I'm in....
Rennlist Member

Received 261 Likes on 174 Posts

Safety equipment is a tough business since your inventory starts going stale as soon as you get it in. The more the market gets diluted, the tougher it will be for everybody. I will admit to shopping around for good prices on harnesses but I almost always go with OG and Apex. For things that don't expire like suits, most people either want to be able to try them on or go with custom made.
Old 03-24-2016, 04:06 PM
PelicanParts.com
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

All very valuable input everyone. Appreciate it.
Old 03-24-2016, 06:29 PM
Difool
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 85 Posts

For helmets, gloves clothes, even seats, I really need to try them out in person. Thankfully we have HMS near.

A catalog or site could help serve area without a good speed shop but would need extensive fit and measurement info (independent of vendors) and a really progressive return/exchange program.

Quick Reply: Pelican may offer safety equipment - need your feedback!