Sponsored by:

Use of higher octane racing fuel??

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2016, 05:28 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,834 Likes on 1,115 Posts

Originally Posted by mark kibort
how is that possible? higher energy potential? if im not knocking today and i dont change the tune, how can I gain near 20hp for the gas alone?
On a NA engine it's optimistic for sure.

I have tunes for my 3.6L GT3RS for stock (which is 91-93 octane tuned) 91, 93, and 100 - all done with VP fuels, on the same dyno, the same day.

The difference from tuned 91 to tuned 100 is about 15 HP. ( I need to dig up the graphs... ) They can get more out of the engine but I asked them to not push it, so it's not an overly aggressive tune.
Old 02-17-2016, 05:30 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by Der ABT
Correct me if I'm wrong.....technically lower octane had a higher energy potential....so higher octane is technically less power.
But lower octane is not as predictable for ignition. ..aka knock will occur so....with a more predictable fuel even with a lower energy potential ...you can make adjustments elsewhere ex timing to make more power.

A good advantage to higher octane is also a lower running temp. .....

But I'll leave the for sure anwser for others like behe.....
thats how i undersand it to be

I dont know about the lower running temps.. if thats the case, you are probably lower power levels too.. after all, we all use "heat engines" ! (unless you drive a tesla)
if you are not knocking at 91octane, i dont see how the higher octane will help at all, in fact, i would exptect a major power loss if running 101 octane on an engine tuned for 91 if not knocking, regardless of the temp of the day.
Or, is there a benefit to the lack of ethanol as we see in cal in our street fuels? ?

No question that if you are tuning up the boost for turbos, then going higher octane for track is not a bad idea.. but what about NA engines?
Old 02-18-2016, 05:55 PM
AudiOn19s
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

you guys are missing an important point. That fuel in question is oxygenated.

It'll make more power if you tune for that particular fuel because it has an oxygen carrier in it...think Nitrous concept on a very small level.

http://www.racegas.com/article/19
Old 02-19-2016, 06:04 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by AudiOn19s
you guys are missing an important point. That fuel in question is oxygenated.

It'll make more power if you tune for that particular fuel because it has an oxygen carrier in it...think Nitrous concept on a very small level.

http://www.racegas.com/article/19
that sounds like a marketing line!
Now, i dont know for sure, but how much oxygen is in the fuel?

Quick Reply: Use of higher octane racing fuel??