Sponsored by:

Best GTB1 Build Platform ??????

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2016 | 09:06 PM
slvr993
Burning Brakes

Default Best GTB1 Build Platform ??????

Guys

I'm thinking (90% decided) that I'll be building out a 2011-2012 PDK Cayman S / R out for GTB1. Here's the questions

Does sport chrono or Sport Plus mode make a difference in selecting a donor car? I believe it makes the shifting faster etc, but can that just be programed into a car without it?

Is an R worth the 20K premium. I can't see why it would be but plenty of people started with an R as a donor so there may be something I'm missing.

Any other considerations when looking at donor cars

I understand its wise to buy an already built car - and I have on many occasions. This time I'm starting from scratch.

Thanks
Jeff
Old 02-13-2016 | 11:33 PM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by slvr993
Guys I'm thinking (90% decided) that I'll be building out a 2011-2012 PDK Cayman S / R out for GTB1. Here's the questions Does sport chrono or Sport Plus mode make a difference in selecting a donor car? I believe it makes the shifting faster etc, but can that just be programed into a car without it? Is an R worth the 20K premium. I can't see why it would be but plenty of people started with an R as a donor so there may be something I'm missing. Any other considerations when looking at donor cars I understand its wise to buy an already built car - and I have on many occasions. This time I'm starting from scratch. Thanks Jeff
It really all depends on your budget.

For example: your min weight is 3050 lbs. Some people get there with carbon doors, some get there with the aluminum doors of the R. You can buy a lot of carbon fiber and a trick suspension for the $20k price difference. Also, most people buy donor cars with salvage titles to keep the cost down.

There are some well known shops out there that have a lot of experience building good cars. I'd suggest you contact them for some sample build scopes. It's easy to spend more than Cup Car money on a good build.
Old 02-14-2016 | 08:42 AM
coryf
Rennlist Member

We recently finished the build of a 911 pdk I class (eventually gtb1) car. Sport plus was able to be added to the car. It was a "kit" from the dealer. It included the new button console with the sport plus button and the coding/programming. Sport plus shifts faster for sure and also felt like it almost completely eliminated the PSM intervention. The addition of sport plus was around $1200 if I remember correctly. All the parts that make a Cayman R different than a standard S are normally changed in a GTB1 build. The aluminum doors are nice but this year you are allowed to use carbon/fiberglass. The minimum weight could be achieved with the standard steel doors as well so IMO no need to spend the money on an R.
Old 02-14-2016 | 09:19 AM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Retrofit Sport button and Porsche software for a 2011-2012 Cayman S PDK is $1200 from Suncoast (not installed): http://www.suncoastparts.com/product/9X7SM.html

It's not clear to me from their description is this gives you Sport AND Sport Plus buttons or just Sport.
Old 02-14-2016 | 10:50 AM
slvr993
Burning Brakes

Very helpful as always guys! - Thank you.

Cory - I'll taking the same path as your 911 build. I Class first then develop to GTB1.

I know I should find a salvage but I just can't get myself to do it. Good clean 30K mile donors can be had at $38-$40 on the low end.

Coochas - thanks for the link - that solves my issue

Thanks guys - many more questions to come.
Old 02-14-2016 | 11:10 AM
HoBoJoe
Rennlist Member

There is a completed GTB1 PDK car in the classifieds right now.

https://rennlist.com/forums/vehicle-...dk-2011-a.html
Old 02-14-2016 | 11:17 AM
Paseb
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by HoBoJoe
There is a completed GTB1 PDK car in the classifieds right now.

https://rennlist.com/forums/vehicle-...dk-2011-a.html
Thanks for the heads up on our car

I have a 6 speed car as well for sale, dont be fooled, 6 speed cars could be as competitive as a pdk car.

Both car are about the same build
Old 02-14-2016 | 11:28 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Paseb
I have a 6 speed car as well for sale, dont be fooled, 6 speed cars could be as competitive as a pdk car.
Ah, but what did YOU race at Sebring?

Agreed that the performance differential is less in the hardware than in the software...
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 02-14-2016 | 11:39 AM
slvr993
Burning Brakes

Thanks - I've been admiring that car. It reminds me why I always buy someone else's completed car as you couldn't build that car for the asking price. That being said each time I do there are a number of things "I would have done differently" that bug me. I end up dropping another $10-$20 K on each car. I'm kind of stuck on having it built exactly how I like things. Although it will take longer and cost more, the project is a big part of the fun for me.

I'm really itching to play with PDK...its a technology itch more than anything. I also fully realize that at this point no car I drive will be that competitive. Gonna need some serious Pro-Coach time for that to ever be an issue no matter what the trans.

I'm not commenting on Paseb's car in the above - it looks awesome and I've never seen it in person.
Old 02-14-2016 | 11:40 AM
Paseb
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ProCoach
Ah, but what did YOU race at Sebring?

Agreed that the performance differential is less in the hardware than in the software...
Hahaha, my boxster

The nut behind the steering makes the most difference.
Old 02-14-2016 | 12:28 PM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by slvr993
That being said each time I do there are a number of things "I would have done differently" that bug me. I end up dropping another $10-$20 K on each car. I'm kind of stuck on having it built exactly how I like things.

I'm really itching to play with PDK...its a technology itch more than anything.
It would be easy to spend another $20 - $40k on this car if you really wanted to in order to scratch every itch but my sense is that working on the nut behind the wheel is more rewarding. FWIW - PDK has all sorts of cooling/reliability issues that shops like BGB, DeMan, Bodymotion, SpeedSport, Musante, etc. have fall igured out. Good luck - sounds like you are embarking on a great project.
Old 02-14-2016 | 12:48 PM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

Mooty has a 6-speed one for sale at an amazing price.
I think it only needs a wing and splitter.
Old 02-14-2016 | 02:28 PM
mobonic
Drifting

Is there ay chassis or handling benefit with going with the most modern Cayman?

Or can that all be addressed when doing the build?

From my research to build a top level GTB1 you are look at $70-90K after the donor car.... a lot of the cost is labor...

Many of us on here are "tinker-er's" so i also like the build process and like getting everything up to my standard....also key is finding a shop that can build a car to "your" standards.
Old 02-14-2016 | 03:20 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Mo,
I think 981 puts it in gtb2
Old 02-14-2016 | 03:25 PM
slvr993
Burning Brakes

I'm certainly not building this on my own. I have a great shop I use for all of my cars. I do try and do my research and get all my Sh*t together before I start asking them questions though.

Quick Reply: Best GTB1 Build Platform ??????