Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

California Festival of Speed April 9-10 AAA Speedway

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2016, 09:26 AM
SoClose
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Thank You Scott for the links- will get going on it today.
Likewise, looking forward to meeting and racing with you-
Paul
Old 04-13-2016, 12:59 PM
Tom W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Paul: To be clear, PRC runs within NASA events. You'll need a NASA race license (they will accept the PCA medical form) and will need to register via NASA, just register as PRC-GT3. Look here: https://www.nasaproracing.com/forms

For what it's worth, I believe POC is doing an event at LS the week after the PCA event, but it's a 92 db weekend.
Old 04-13-2016, 04:03 PM
SoClose
Racer

Thank You Tom-
I think our cars are around 102 db with the mufflers!
Getting our helmets painted now so we should be good to go by then.
Old 04-13-2016, 04:51 PM
winders
Race Car

Received 918 Likes on 449 Posts

Paul, I am sorry, I thought you ran with us in the past when I wasn't around and knew about the NASA connection.
Old 04-13-2016, 08:19 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 170 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom W
Paul: To be clear, PRC runs within NASA events. You'll need a NASA race license (they will accept the PCA medical form) and will need to register via NASA, just register as PRC-GT3. Look here: https://www.nasaproracing.com/forms

For what it's worth, I believe POC is doing an event at LS the week after the PCA event, but it's a 92 db weekend.
whats the nasa event db limits that weekend? do you guys run with the ST groups or your own porsche group.... i think i remembrer you guys just running pure porsche
Old 04-14-2016, 03:31 AM
Tom W
Addict
Rennlist Member

I understand the NASA event in June is 103 db. I won't be there, so I have not paid too much attention to it.

Someone else posted a video of the Green Sprint #2 start from the stands. Here's a different perspective on it:
I was caught napping at the start (looking at the dash and trying to decide to stay in 2nd or shift to 3rd for the start) but I made up for it in T3 - T5. The rookie in the yellow GT2 car was fun for a bit, but even more fun when he spun later in the race and I passed him by for good. I got in front of a bunch of guys early and then just tried to drive error free to stay there.
Old 04-14-2016, 09:30 AM
SoClose
Racer

Originally Posted by winders
Paul, I am sorry, I thought you ran with us in the past when I wasn't around and knew about the NASA connection.
We did one PRC/NASA event, and I think it was 2006? It was the Sear's event over Halloween weekend. Not many cars. but had a great time.
Fun track, but I didn't like that last turn to accordion everyone together before the mad dash past the stands to turn one. I remember it being off camber and slippery.
Old 04-14-2016, 05:07 PM
BS RACING
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom W
I understand the NASA event in June is 103 db. I won't be there, so I have not paid too much attention to it.

Someone else posted a video of the Green Sprint #2 start from the stands. Here's a different perspective on it: https://youtu.be/oVjceDgO6rc I was caught napping at the start (looking at the dash and trying to decide to stay in 2nd or shift to 3rd for the start) but I made up for it in T3 - T5. The rookie in the yellow GT2 car was fun for a bit, but even more fun when he spun later in the race and I passed him by for good. I got in front of a bunch of guys early and then just tried to drive error free to stay there.
Great running with you Tom! I had a great initial start but it went to crap very quickly...Around the :54 second mark in your vid, you can see me ahead sliding around like crazy out of turn 4, losing some positions I gained...Surprised no one hit me lol. Nevertheless, very fun weekend overall.
Old 04-14-2016, 11:19 PM
SoClose
Racer

Originally Posted by SoClose
We did one PRC/NASA event, and I think it was 2006? It was the Sear's event over Halloween weekend. Not many cars. but had a great time.
Fun track, but I didn't like that last turn to accordion everyone together before the mad dash past the stands to turn one. I remember it being off camber and slippery.
So-
I wrote that this morning after working overnight and wasn't accurate with my opinion...
It's one of my 3 favorite tracks in the country-with Road America and Watkins Glen the other two. Someday maybe I'll understand Laguna Seca well enough to add it to my list.
The track is magic (although not a fan of that last turn)- the East Coast guys are spoiled with so many good tracks, but they are really missing out on a different challenge.
Old 04-15-2016, 01:49 AM
winders
Race Car

Received 918 Likes on 449 Posts

Originally Posted by SoClose
So-
I wrote that this morning after working overnight and wasn't accurate with my opinion...
It's one of my 3 favorite tracks in the country-with Road America and Watkins Glen the other two. Someday maybe I'll understand Laguna Seca well enough to add it to my list.
The track is magic (although not a fan of that last turn)- the East Coast guys are spoiled with so many good tracks, but they are really missing out on a different challenge.
Sears Point is great! It is by far and away my favorite track. Turn 11 (turn 12 is the last turn but hardly merits a number) is a great place to make a pass just before the lap ends. It and turn 7 are the two classic places to get a draft and pass. Turn 11 is the slowest turn on the track, at least for me, and is not off camber. It's an interesting turn once you get used to it.

I have never driven Road America or Watkins Glen, but based on my video game experience, I would agree with your assessment of the tracks. Based on video games, it would seem that Sears Point is the most technical of the three. For those have driven all three, is that a fair assessment?

Laguna Seca is fun but I much prefer Sears Point to it and prefer both Thunderhill and Buttonwillow to it. Laguna is a track with a lot of history, but it really isn't all that some people make it out to be. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy it and look forward to racing on it for the first time in a car in May. We are lucky here in California to have so many great tracks relatively close by.
Old 04-19-2016, 10:23 PM
Festival of Speed
Former Vendor

Click Here for the article on 6SpeedOnline

THANK YOU FOR PROMO

THANK YOU TO OUR 2016 SPONSORS

Quick Reply: California Festival of Speed April 9-10 AAA Speedway