Sponsored by:

opinions wanted...cheap street legal DE car

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2016, 08:28 PM
cre8fun
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

I really would like to express gratitude for all those who've shared their thoughts. I don't take the inputs lightly. as I mentioned it's been 15 years and some things have changed and some things have been forgotten. some key takeaways:

- The goal is to go out, have some fun, learn more about driving as it's an unending process but in the end come home alive.
- one member noted that although he tracks his 911 RS occasionally, but his dedicated track car feels better. the RS feels too compliant. I forgot about how quickly most street cars feel out of their element once they get on track. That also made me remember how annoying it was to run a mostly '90's fox body on the track in the 90's because things that were designed for the street, NOT THE TRACK, became so readily apparent.
- I also read all 148 entries in another thread about safety at a DE and the quandary about what's enough (belts, a seat, HANS, roll bar, cage, etc.). one of the reason I ended up in a tube frame race car was as I got faster, I wanted a car that was designed to run the track and one that would give me a fighting chance if surprises presented themselves. I don't think that desire has changed.
- another member mentioned that tracking a miata or a momentum car or even some older generation "fast cars" at a DE would be like running a moving bus stop in an era where 500 HP cars are common. probably true. while the slower cars can be great fun and great learning, it's not that much fun to drive with your hand out the window much of the track.
- I think the end goal is a full race car. Honestly, the tube frame, V8 I had before was great, although ungodly noisy and crazy hot. that said, I don't currently have a tow vehicle, and adding a trailer, etc. to my driveway is pretty undesirable.
- So until I can work out/figure out the trailering route, I think I'll look for a car in no mans land between stock and race (DE prepped, but still street legal. maybe a roll bar or half cage) and just plan on running 7-8/10th. enjoy the time on the track and aspire to a better set up down the road.

thanks for the info.
I guess if I really want to laugh as I go through the process of getting back to the track, I can go downstairs and pull out my SA95 shoes, suit and helmet. LOL

Last edited by cre8fun; 01-22-2016 at 08:31 PM. Reason: add text
Old 01-22-2016, 09:38 PM
Sir5n
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is 'on site' storage an option? Store a Radical or another type,pack your bag and have fun!
Old 01-22-2016, 10:05 PM
cre8fun
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

great idea Keith. I've not thought of that. it was not way back when, but the local track has grown a great deal

update - nope, checked. good idea though.
I'll keep to the "get a car for a few years while I figure out where to put a trailer and replace the SUV" plan
Old 01-23-2016, 03:10 AM
Sir5n
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by cre8fun
great idea Keith. I've not thought of that. it was not way back when, but the local track has grown a great deal

update - nope, checked. good idea though.
I'll keep to the "get a car for a few years while I figure out where to put a trailer and replace the SUV" plan
Rats! Then Boxster or Caymen 2010 on is foolproof.
I'm willing to go out on a limb suggesting a Mini Cooper S with slicks and a jack in the back...
I've seen a few perform very well here at Mosport.

Best with the search!
Old 01-23-2016, 02:29 PM
TraqGear
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DTMiller
gator996 is selling his DE/DD 996 and I think his car would be well under the budget listed. Pretty sure he has rollbar, seats and some other track mods done to it.
Exactly what I was thinking. 996 offers a lot value for the money for now. Not sure I would want a full cage for the street though. Small street incident could crack your noggin badly.

The apex of performance, comfort & safety since 2011.
All new racewear available now→ traqgear.com
Old 03-27-2016, 04:38 AM
wintershade
Rennlist Member

Received 280 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by cre8fun
I agree, it would be great to get a car with a cage and that is already built. my two concerns there are first, without trailering it, i'd need to get it through Maryland inspection for the street. Second, on a car that has already been built for the track, what's the best way to determine if the car is a worn out mule in need of major overhaul or one that is ready to go?
This is a great question, does anyone have an answer? As someone who just today bought an e36 M3 for HPDE, I would have liked to buy someone already prepped, but most of them seemed like thrashed dogs. Sure, it costs more to build your own car, but at least you know it backwards & forwards, no? I'm always skeptical of the sorties from sellers I met --- i.e., if the car is so great and seller loves it so much and spent so much on it, why are are they selling it? Always felt like I was buying someone else's problem...

But if there is a way to thread the needle, I'd sure like to know. I'm rather not be the guy writing off 50% of every dollar I spend on mods to make my new purchase track worthy.
Old 03-28-2016, 11:20 PM
ChrisFL
Rennlist Member

Received 91 Likes on 49 Posts

If you have been through this before, I think you may as well get a fully caged car, trailer, etc. It not about the $20-25k you spend on the car, its the maintenance, wanting stickier tires, better brakes, stiffer suspension, etc. If you want something DD/DE you need to increase the budget. 09+ Cayman/ Boxster. I wouldnt get 06-08 due to engine reliability. you can get a Miata or e36, but will quickly get frustrated trying to get point bys.
Old 03-28-2016, 11:34 PM
Olemiss540
Rennlist Member

Received 280 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by ChrisFL
If you have been through this before, I think you may as well get a fully caged car, trailer, etc. It not about the $20-25k you spend on the car, its the maintenance, wanting stickier tires, better brakes, stiffer suspension, etc. If you want something DD/DE you need to increase the budget. 09+ Cayman/ Boxster. I wouldnt get 06-08 due to engine reliability. you can get a Miata or e36, but will quickly get frustrated trying to get point bys.
Lumping a track prepped e36 in with the Miatas eh? I take offense to that. You are not talking about increasing the budget, but BLOWING THE BUDGET OUT OF THE WATER. If an e36 m3 can be sorted for 12 or 14k, whats the out the door cost on a sorted 09 Cayman? How about ease of maintenance and aftermarket support? How about track insurace so your 40k investment doesnt get lit on fire? Or tires for those great 19" wheels? I vote dedicated track car, if the OP has the pocket change for a Spec 996, go for it, but prepping a Cayman? Compromise is the word that comes mind. Spent last weekend at NCM, and sure didnt get limp wristed from all of the point bys in my stock HP e36 m3.
Old 03-29-2016, 12:14 PM
gbuff
Rennlist Member

Received 360 Likes on 259 Posts

Originally Posted by Sir5n
I'm willing to go out on a limb suggesting a Mini Cooper S with slicks and a jack in the back...I've seen a few perform very well here at Mosport.
I'll second that

Mine's not an "S" though......also on streets, not slicks....lots of fun.

Gary
Old 03-29-2016, 12:32 PM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 323 Posts

The E36 M3 punches well above its weight on track. One that's well driven is the one receiving the point bys, not giving them...
Old 03-29-2016, 12:40 PM
TXE36
Drifting

Received 191 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by ChrisFL
If you want something DD/DE you need to increase the budget. 09+ Cayman/ Boxster. I wouldnt get 06-08 due to engine reliability. you can get a Miata or e36, but will quickly get frustrated trying to get point bys.
Wow, a lot of bunk compressed into four sentences.

An 09 Cayman/Boxster is certainly not the entry level DD/DE car.

An E36 M3 will hold its own in most places. I wouldn't go non-M unless one was trying for Spec E36. In my street E36 M3, on street tires, I turn laps at COTA solidly mid pack with the racing SPBs there - and it's not like I'm some wiz kid hotshoe, in fact, far from it. I've seen video of an E36 M3 mixing it up with a GT3 at TWS - both highly skilled drivers and posters here.

You will only get frustrated with point-bys in an E36 M3 if you drive it like crap. Drive it right and it will punch far above its weight class.

-Mike
Old 03-29-2016, 12:43 PM
TXE36
Drifting

Received 191 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by docwyte
The E36 M3 punches well above its weight on track. One that's well driven is the one receiving the point bys, not giving them...
Well, we are certainly on the same wavelength today.

-Mike
Old 03-29-2016, 04:46 PM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 323 Posts

Indeed we are! So much so that I just bought this track prepped beauty today! Has all the stuff done, chassis reinforcements, welded oil pump nut, dual fuel pickups, suspension, intake, exhaust, M50 manifold, etc, etc, etc...

Name:  E36%20M3_zpsvqhpqf88.jpg
Views: 67
Size:  142.3 KB
Old 03-29-2016, 07:07 PM
Sir5n
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by LexVan
Miata
Boxster
Boxster, Miata

Weren't you the guy with an R8? Run the wheels off it that's the case. They're awesome cars!
Old 03-29-2016, 08:27 PM
wintershade
Rennlist Member

Received 280 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by docwyte
Indeed we are! So much so that I just bought this track prepped beauty today! Has all the stuff done, chassis reinforcements, welded oil pump nut, dual fuel pickups, suspension, intake, exhaust, M50 manifold, etc, etc, etc...
Nice find docwyte! I searched high and low and every track ready E36 I could find in NorCal was either a flogged dog in need of an overhaul or significantly more expensive I was willing to commit in one go.

Quick Reply: opinions wanted...cheap street legal DE car