Sponsored by:

opinions wanted...cheap street legal DE car

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2016, 10:53 AM
cre8fun
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default opinions wanted...cheap street legal DE car

first off, Thanks for all the info. I've read many posts and I'm surprised at the amount of knowledge here and the lack of marque favoritism. most forums only talk about one marque so you ask a question, you know what the advice will be. you guys are different.

yes I know the title is almost identical two other posts this month. The first guy was looking to start out DE and end up wheel-to-wheel and was OK trailering. He ended up in an E36 M3. The second guy wanted a DD that he could DE, I was surprised that he ended up in a '15 Cayman.

in my case, I'm looking for a street legal car to DE. Ive not been on track in 15 years. back then I started with a street car and ended up buying a race car, trailer etc. I may go that route down the road, but initially I don't want to trailer.

I'm thinking somewhere around 20-25k for the car ready to track. my definition of ready to track is good brakes, reliable, known track issues solved, etc. I realize that's not cage, fire system etc. that's probably 3 years from now when I decide to sell this car and get an old race car and a trailer. right now, I just miss the track and don't think my SUV (an X3) would work as a tow vehicle.

So the question is what car? I was surprised in the "DD/DE" thread to see the recommendation of a C5 Z07. I've read a lot on the z07 forum. seems that out of the box they are pretty well set up. replace the radiator, stainless brake lines, a hardbar with harnesses and seats, few other items and it would probably do 10-15 DE events a year happily. 3 years later, make it stock again and sell for what I got it for, and parts are cheap.

The e36 M3 thread was also interesting, but made me wonder if I'd end up finding a lot of tired cars that need a lot of work. Not really interested in doing a full rebuild since I'll likely sell the car in a few years.

I'd like to throw the question out there. suggestions? what cars might be good for this defined purpose.
-20-25K ready to go
-street legal so I don't have to trailer
-reliable enough it's unlikely to leave me stranded at the track
Old 01-21-2016, 10:55 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

Miata
Boxster
Old 01-21-2016, 11:02 AM
Olemiss540
Rennlist Member

Received 280 Likes on 184 Posts

Wow... This is going to be exhausting.

Do you need to use this car for ANY other purpose? Weekends? Daily?
Do you have any concern with Budget for Consumables?
What experience level of a driver were you 15 years ago?

Buy a track prepared e36 M3. Not hard to find one pre-built for $12K or so, and is a great learner car that will not KILL you if you are in the early stages of learning car control. HPDE's are not about being the fastest, but having the most fun for the $$$. Do not try and find the cleanest stock example, find one that has the proper safety gear, most preventative maintenance completed, and upgrades that add value (not cheap crap parts).

A Z06 is an awesome track weapon, but I shudder thinking about how quickly that I could be sideways in a car with only a harness bar going 170 mph....

Also consider a Miata - might as well be the first to recommend one!
Old 01-21-2016, 11:06 AM
LexVan
Banned

Originally Posted by Olemiss540
Also consider a Miata - might as well be the first to recommend one!
That's soooooooooooo 8:55 AM (CDST).
Old 01-21-2016, 11:07 AM
Dr911
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Go Exotic!

Concur with Miata or Boxster for so so so many reasons! It's the only sensible way to go if you need to have a day job.

But, given your budget, you might consider a Lotus Elise.
Tiny Toyota engine, flash on the streets, cheap parts, and pushes you into momentum driver mode. Electric blue, lime green, orange...take your pick.

Cooler than a Z06 any day of the week.

(ps: a cursory glance at my avatar will show you what miata vs zo6 can look like.)
Old 01-21-2016, 11:07 AM
Olemiss540
Rennlist Member

Received 280 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by LexVan
That's soooooooooooo 8:55 AM (CDST).
Damn! Should have went shorthand on my response and would have had it!
Old 01-21-2016, 11:12 AM
LexVan
Banned

Originally Posted by Olemiss540
Damn! Should have went shorthand on my response and would have had it!
In all fairness, my day started at 4:30 AM and I'm on my second cup of Starbucks. The Ethiopia Yirgacheffe brewed in the Clover today was most excellent!
Old 01-21-2016, 11:14 AM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

Received 488 Likes on 325 Posts

$20-25k is a cheap track toy? Wow, I'm clearly in the wrong tax bracket!

Search. You've already found two threads that have asked the same question, the answers will be the same.

Buy something for $10k or less. A track prepped E36 M3 is a great car. Or a boxster, or a 944, or a 968 or a miata or .....
Old 01-21-2016, 11:50 AM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 191 Posts

S2000 or E36 m3. E36 m3 got more street utility though vs any 2 seater. Mike
Old 01-21-2016, 11:52 AM
Drewster67
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Let me help you out.

this is a complete package - with trailer.

http://justintopliff.com/sale-1995-b...railer-spares/

If you really want - I can also hook you up with supercharged Miata - complete cage - turn key track car. Also located in AZ

I'm not a broker or third party - I just like to help forward information to people who are looking.

Peace
Old 01-21-2016, 12:52 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 255 Likes on 157 Posts

That would be great if he specifically said he didn't want a car/trailer and he was smart not thinking that little X3 could tow it!

Originally Posted by Drewster67
Let me help you out.

this is a complete package - with trailer.

http://justintopliff.com/sale-1995-b...railer-spares/

If you really want - I can also hook you up with supercharged Miata - complete cage - turn key track car. Also located in AZ

I'm not a broker or third party - I just like to help forward information to people who are looking.

Peace
Old 01-21-2016, 01:22 PM
Drewster67
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by cre8fun
first off, Thanks for all the info. I've read many posts and I'm surprised at the amount of knowledge here and the lack of marque favoritism. most forums only talk about one marque so you ask a question, you know what the advice will be. you guys are different.

yes I know the title is almost identical two other posts this month. The first guy was looking to start out DE and end up wheel-to-wheel and was OK trailering. He ended up in an E36 M3. The second guy wanted a DD that he could DE, I was surprised that he ended up in a '15 Cayman.

in my case, I'm looking for a street legal car to DE. Ive not been on track in 15 years. back then I started with a street car and ended up buying a race car, trailer etc. I may go that route down the road, but initially I don't want to trailer.

I'm thinking somewhere around 20-25k for the car ready to track. my definition of ready to track is good brakes, reliable, known track issues solved, etc. I realize that's not cage, fire system etc. that's probably 3 years from now when I decide to sell this car and get an old race car and a trailer. right now, I just miss the track and don't think my SUV (an X3) would work as a tow vehicle.

So the question is what car? I was surprised in the "DD/DE" thread to see the recommendation of a C5 Z07. I've read a lot on the z07 forum. seems that out of the box they are pretty well set up. replace the radiator, stainless brake lines, a hardbar with harnesses and seats, few other items and it would probably do 10-15 DE events a year happily. 3 years later, make it stock again and sell for what I got it for, and parts are cheap.

The e36 M3 thread was also interesting, but made me wonder if I'd end up finding a lot of tired cars that need a lot of work. Not really interested in doing a full rebuild since I'll likely sell the car in a few years.

I'd like to throw the question out there. suggestions? what cars might be good for this defined purpose.
-20-25K ready to go
-street legal so I don't have to trailer
-reliable enough it's unlikely to leave me stranded at the track
If you do go with a C5 Z06 - keep an eye on the oil temperature when on track.
Old 01-21-2016, 01:40 PM
z06801
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Drewster67
If you do go with a C5 Z06 - keep an eye on the oil temperature when on track.
I think if you do keep the temps in check, the LS6 is a very durable engine. I pulled mine out of the car still running great at 110K on the clock with a lot of hard track time running slicks. If you can handle the the sleaze factor, which I have no trouble with, its also very easy to live with as a commuter.
Old 01-21-2016, 01:42 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 255 Likes on 157 Posts

06-08 Cayman S.
Old 01-21-2016, 01:45 PM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

Received 488 Likes on 325 Posts

I'd put a bunch of coolers on the C5 Z06, oil, transmission and a bigger radiator. Then it'll run forever. Very capable track cars that you can buy for $15-20k...

Quick Reply: opinions wanted...cheap street legal DE car