Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cayman Spec vs GTB1

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2016 | 09:11 AM
breljohn
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Frank 993 C4S
You asked about GTB1 and the latest 981 platform is classified in GTB2 and there are ample examples of cars that have been built. However, the run groups tend to be relatively small in GTB2 as all 911s have now been moved to GTB3.
Got it. Thanks!
Old 01-05-2016 | 10:49 AM
cgomez
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by stujelly
This is so true. I got in an argument with Mooty about GTB1 build costs so I did the math to meet his challenge. I almost cried. Someone here called GTB1 "an arms race" and that is so true. Around my house and with my racing buddies we use the ole fight club analogy.

GTB1 is cup car money per weekend. Dont let anyone tell you different. Engines and Transmission last about the same time just half the replacement cost. Either way, it takes money to be competitive in this class as there are also some amazing drivers there too.
Yes it is more expensive that stock class, but once you do the whole build with a good suspension, proper brakes and better cooling, there's not much else that can be done since the weight limits can be reached easily. It's a one time cost and is well known by everyone on what the optimal build is.
Also running costs are not even close to Cup Car. It's a much less powerful car so it's a lot easier on tires, brakes and suspension components that]n the Cup. The Cup's gearbox service interval and often needed box refresh are insane.
I think for the speed/lap times , GTB1 is probably the most cost efficient class in PCA racing and the class size and competition is awesome!
Old 01-05-2016 | 11:42 AM
mobonic
Drifting

Originally Posted by cgomez
Yes it is more expensive that stock class, but once you do the whole build with a good suspension, proper brakes and better cooling, there's not much else that can be done since the weight limits can be reached easily. It's a one time cost and is well known by everyone on what the optimal build is.
What is the optimal build starting from a street car?

Does anyone have a build sheet or what it takes to make a top running car?
Old 01-05-2016 | 11:49 AM
breljohn
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by mobonic

+1
Old 01-05-2016 | 12:32 PM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Yes it is more expensive that stock class, but once you do the whole build with a good suspension, proper brakes and better cooling, there's not much else that can be done since the weight limits can be reached easily.
True for Gen 2 cars. Actually it is quite tough to reach the min weight limit in a Gen 1 car because that's 2720 lbs, given the lower hp. It means that you end up with a dry weight car of about 2500 lbs. That's a lot of carbon fiber and other $$$ stuff to get there.

I think for the speed/lap times , GTB1 is probably the most cost efficient class in PCA racing and the class size and competition is awesome!
+1000

Gen 2 PDK Cayman - look at the championship winning car from last year. I'm sure Spencer *** could build another one like it.
Old 01-05-2016 | 03:08 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

My sense is that a racing weekend will cost you the equivalent of 1 - 2 sets of tires, a set of pads and a about $200 worth of fuel plus registration and lodging....

...The above estimates don't account for the cost of your Pro Coach, track support by a race shop and any sort of $$$ damage allowance.
Good summary Frank but you left out the single largest cost: transport. Then again, we're not supposed to talk about any of this.....
Old 01-05-2016 | 04:23 PM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Nizer
Good summary Frank but you left out the single largest cost: transport. Then again, we're not supposed to talk about any of this.....
Duh!! Sorry about that. Ever since I posted, I had the urge to tally up my 2015 racing spend. I stopped after I added up all of the Bob Woodman invoices and took a deep breath.
Old 01-05-2016 | 04:59 PM
breljohn
Burning Brakes

so, really, nobody can give me a figure? lol
Old 01-05-2016 | 05:18 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Duh!! Sorry about that. Ever since I posted, I had the urge to tally up my 2015 racing spend. I stopped after I added up all of the Bob Woodman invoices and took a deep breath.
Quicken automatically tallies this for me. Between racing and track days I could buy my first house every two years. A house!

But someday, when the end of the road is in sight, will I regret it? Not for a minute.
Old 01-05-2016 | 06:04 PM
Paseb
Rennlist Member

i will have 2x gtb1 cars available. Planning on bringing both to Sebring if anyone interested in purchasing one. Check my signature, email me for more info.

i also have lot of 987.1 donor cars if you want to build one yourself. Aswell of 987.2 and 981 cars

Old 01-05-2016 | 06:36 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

One meeeeeelyunnnnn dollars
Old 01-05-2016 | 06:39 PM
philstireservice
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by breljohn

Finally, I too am surprised by the tire choice for SPC. I was expecting something cheaper, longer lasting and that wouldn't put as much stress o the gen 1 engines.

Keep it coming!!
Cheaper??

What do you consider a cheaper tire choice?
Old 01-05-2016 | 06:41 PM
breljohn
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by philstireservice
Cheaper??

What do you consider a cheaper tire choice?
R888 for example (like in the Canadian 944 Challenge...)
Old 01-05-2016 | 07:50 PM
stujelly
Rennlist Member

ya just ask Carlos here, he is running that winning/championship car now.

He should do amazing this year in it, because he is a class A driver with a well built car. Good luck bro

Not to mention the livery is insane too.
Old 01-05-2016 | 09:22 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

IMO, the R888 would be a terrible choice for cars of the speed of GTB1

Quick Reply: Cayman Spec vs GTB1