Sponsored by:

FS: Speed Secrets at "The Glen" $25

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2015, 11:36 AM
Jon Moeller
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FS: Speed Secrets at "The Glen" $25

Since I moved to Austin, this DVD has become a bit less useful for me. It's listed at $30 on Ebay, and $50 on Amazon. I'll send it via USPS book rate for $25.

It's a great tool for learning the track and finding seconds as you progress. Even with the repave, this is still a valid learning tool.
Old 12-31-2015, 12:04 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,307 Likes on 1,879 Posts

Good old Brock Yates!

Here's an excerpt. Good stuff.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 12-31-2015, 02:48 PM
Texas RS
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ProCoach
Good old Brock Yates!

Here's an excerpt. Good stuff.
Peter,

Do you think the resurfacing/reconfiguration will result in a meaningful change in driving the track?
Old 12-31-2015, 04:02 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Texas RS
Peter,

Do you think the resurfacing/reconfiguration will result in a meaningful change in driving the track?
No. I do not believe it will change the optimal geometry, but I do think it will make it easier to execute that optimal geometry!

Without many of the track-surface level landmarks that people have used for decades, it's going to FORCE people to "look up."

They'll then be able to generate new sight pictures at eye-level and above.

This will allow improvement in establishing the proper and instant, "go/no-go" evaluation needed to determine if they are ON the right geometry...

It'll help. A lot!
Old 12-31-2015, 04:54 PM
fatbillybob
Drifting

Received 173 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by ProCoach
Without many of the track-surface level landmarks that people have used for decades, it's going to FORCE people to "look up."

They'll then be able to generate new sight pictures at eye-level and above.

This will allow improvement in establishing the proper and instant, "go/no-go" evaluation needed to determine if they are ON the right geometry...
I learned more this year racing on tracks I had never seen before. Often I had to learn the track during qualifying, do the best I could, and then race it. I think part of the reason for growth was trial by fire and not knowing about this patch of concrete or that bump at the apex. I had to look at new turns in the context of those home track turns I knew. I was forced to keep my eyes up just to survive. Do you have some tips on how to quickly get up to speed on a new track?
Old 12-31-2015, 05:48 PM
Jon Moeller
Three Wheelin'

DVD sold.

FBB - I think you nailed it. The best way that I know of to learn a new track is to associate the turns with turns that you know. I've had the good fortune to run a number of different tracks, and I try to watch footage from Youtube to learn the flow, and then do the turn association, once I'm out there.
Old 01-01-2016, 11:17 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,680 Likes on 868 Posts

Tim, the track will drive the same, with more grip but different visuals, as Peter says.
BillyBob, IMO, the very best ways to learn a new track are in car videos of a good pro or winning amateur, iRacing sims, and walking the track (or riding a bike).
Old 01-01-2016, 11:22 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 290 Likes on 172 Posts

I just wanted them to fill in the other side of the curb entering the bus stop so I could get closer to the blue fence.. rest of the track was just fine.
Old 01-01-2016, 12:02 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by fatbillybob
I learned more this year racing on tracks I had never seen before. Do you have some tips on how to quickly get up to speed on a new track?
I really like this concept, which is what I suspect helped you. https://speedsecrets.com/driving-tips/drive-faster/

Also, this:

Old 01-01-2016, 12:03 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Gary R.
I just wanted them to fill in the other side of the curb entering the bus stop so I could get closer to the blue fence.. rest of the track was just fine.
Hahaha! That won't help you, Gary!
Old 01-01-2016, 12:55 PM
Black Box
Advanced

I believe the biggest thing they will do or have done is improve the corner transitions from pavement to concrete. They were awful last year turn 7 and turn 11 caused upsets based on speed and track temp as the tar sealer between the joint started softening.

I love turns 1 to 4. I have a 5spd and downshift to 3rd before 1, trail brake to just before apex, then throttle out. If I've done it right it full throttle out, accel out to low rumble strips in the short shute, staying on the left edge to entry upshift instead of brake turn in and pound the throttle until turn 4 exit. where I shift to 5th which will be about 125-128

Quick Reply: FS: Speed Secrets at "The Glen" $25