Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Opinions wanted... affordable DD/DE car

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2016, 12:42 PM
tlarocque
Three Wheelin'

Received 71 Likes on 35 Posts

I don't think 2-3 DE's a year is going to break the bank on consumables. Part of the reason for trying to find a $30k car is to keep money in the budget for just such things.
Old 01-04-2016, 02:50 PM
T&T Racing
Drifting

Received 347 Likes on 274 Posts

Originally Posted by tlarocque
I don't think 2-3 DE's a year is going to break the bank on consumables. Part of the reason for trying to find a $30k car is to keep money in the budget for just such things.
The Porsche 944 is the best Porsche to learn how to drive a race car. The weight distribution is 50/50. The consumables are less costly. The brakes producing more braking power than need to slow the car for a corner.

Purchase a used race car with full roll cage and add any upgrades that are needed. You can develop your driving skills, develop to be smooth, and not get yourself or the car in trouble unless you loose concentration or respond incorrectly to an error.

It is the best forgiving car to learn how to develop to drive at 10/10 without scaring yourself, to be smooth, and see success with lower lap times. No PDK, No ABS, put fun, fun, fun and it can corners at 1.5G's.

Lowering lap times is the end game not how fast you can go down the front straight, that is being "cool."
Old 01-04-2016, 06:45 PM
tlarocque
Three Wheelin'

I appreciate the suggestion but I'm trying to find a daily driver that I can use for an occasional track day. I'm a fairly experienced driver, even if a little rusty. Having spent several years driving GT3's (mostly 996 GT3 without nannies) on track, I think I can keep a Cayman underneath me. I do not want a race car as I don't have anyplace to store a trailer and I have not plans to race.

I think 987.2 Cayman, maybe an e90 M3 are making the most sense.
Old 01-04-2016, 06:52 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by RallyeChris
Not a HORRIBLE DD, but C5 Z06. I know you stated no American cars. But, I got into one after many years of BMWs, looking for that "something different" experience. Boy, was it different! I discovered TORQUE. 405HP/405lb/ft. 30mpg on the highway heading to/from the track.

You can find them for $15k-$20k all day long. Throw about $4k at it in light suspension, brake pads, radiator with oil cooler, and tires. Cat-back exhaust just for the auditory bliss. Done. A bit of a He-Man car on the track, but lots of fun.

Just throwing it out there...
I was holding back, but i do have to mention the Porsche 928 S4.
$18k race car complete to build yourself and the job is beyond easy,
320rwhp min.... 2700lbs, simple cage, headers exhaust , sounds better than the vet and its still a Porsche! no oil coolers, special anything.. NOTHING but a set of shocks and springs, that bolt right on, and a set of tires and wheels.
nothing even comes close at this level of prep and its a blast to drive.
not one part needs to be swapped out for strength at the track. All original bushing and suspension components.

great for a daily driver, but its an older model porsche and might not be your thing for a day to day car . (drawback)

you buy a 928 for $7-10k , gut it and weld in a cage or bolt in a roll bar for DE.(or not. the car doesn't even need a roll cage to be safe for DE )
bolt on the performance mods above, and you are off and running. drive to the track on the DOT race tires, or put them in the back and change at the track.
Old 01-04-2016, 08:01 PM
tlarocque
Three Wheelin'

Mark-

I have always been intrigued by the 928 but frightened by its reputation for poor reliability. I don't know that much about them but will see what I can find. Can you recommend a good resource? Might have to find a beater DD though.

Thanks,
Todd
Old 01-04-2016, 09:38 PM
goforwand
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 333pg333
Evo = 4 doors and can be made very quick for the track. Tons of proven mods too.
^^^
This
Old 01-04-2016, 11:09 PM
tlarocque
Three Wheelin'

How do Evos hold up on track?

This looks fun....

http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/a...06-norcal.html
Old 01-05-2016, 01:10 AM
Evolved Rs
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

I have a Evo X, full bolt ons and nearly stock weight. It did fantastic and handled a few 100* track days this summer, the one draw back is it's not very rewarding but a very capable car
Old 01-05-2016, 02:10 AM
Sir5n
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Went a drove a few cars while I was over in Scottsdale for the weekend...

2009 Boxster S PDK, 66k miles, $25k. Suspension felt worn out, exterior full of rock chips. Pass.

2012 Boxster S PDK Black Edition, 45k miles, $45k. Nice car, too bad it wreaked of smoke from PO. Buttery smooth shifting from PDK but definitely felt the lack of chassis rigidity of the convertible.

2014 Cayman S Manual, 15k miles, literally zero options, $55k. My favorite by far but 1) not sure I want to spend that much and 2) not the color combo for me. I think these will be closer to $50k soon.

Does anyone know, based on experience, how much stiffer the 981 Boxster feels
compared to 987?
Test drove the 981 when I was letting go of my 987. The difference in performance is similar to an older 911 and the 7th generation 911. Quicker and more refined.

Nice car but new with the options I was looking for it was at $115k Cdn +15% tax. I'm not rich enough to take a 50% loss in 5 years so I opted for a fully optioned lightly used 991.

You might be in a large enough market to pick up a used 981 without the sticker shock.

Enjoy the hunt!
Old 01-05-2016, 07:37 AM
f4 plt
Rennlist Member

Received 161 Likes on 80 Posts

I would definitely go Cayman and I would suggest a 2009 -2012 base Cayman with the 2.9 engine ( same engine they run in the Caymans in the ST class of the Continental Tire Challenge)

I have a friend that has a 2010 base Cayman (2.9 engine stock and PDK) He actively auto crosses the car and does a fair amount of track laps plus reliable and fun daily driving and has only done the normal maintenance on the car. Oh I should have mentioned he has over 126,000 trouble free miles on the car, enough said!
Old 01-05-2016, 11:49 AM
ChrisFL
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 49 Posts

I appreciate the suggestion but I'm trying to find a daily driver that I can use for an occasional track day. I'm a fairly experienced driver, even if a little rusty. Having spent several years driving GT3's (mostly 996 GT3 without nannies) on track, I think I can keep a Cayman underneath me. I do not want a race car as I don't have anyplace to store a trailer and I have not plans to race.

I think your on the right track, but personally I would go with the 987.2 Cayman S. You dont have to worry about the oiling mods like the Gen 1 and on track, its much better out of the box than an e90. Ultimately, I don't think there is a perfect DE/DD car but for the money, Caymans come very close. You just have to be very patient because there were very few Gen 2 Caymans produced so not a whole lot on the market.
Old 01-05-2016, 12:25 PM
CosmosMpower
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 39 Posts

987.2 Cayman S is the best on the list for double duty.
Old 01-05-2016, 12:39 PM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

Received 726 Likes on 397 Posts

Just saw this:

https://rennlist.com/forums/vehicle-...-cayman-s.html
Old 01-05-2016, 12:40 PM
Olemiss540
Rennlist Member

Received 287 Likes on 187 Posts

Cayman and e90 are completely different cars, so the answer should become obvious. Heavy/high hp/4 seater or light/lower hp/2 seater....

Old 01-05-2016, 01:01 PM
JustinL
Drifting

Received 188 Likes on 104 Posts

I race with a couple Evo Xs. They are very fast for the first few laps. One of them has had a lot of issues sorted out, the other is still teething a bit. My plan is to stick with them as best I can until I start smelling smoke. Once they get hot, systems start shutting down. The biggest problem they are having is the placement of the turbo cooks a lot of wiring, so a lot of extra heat shielding is needed to protect the ABS. If they can back off and let the car cool, the speed returns, but if I can hassle them enough eventually I'll get past or they'll retire the car.

Quick Reply: Opinions wanted... affordable DD/DE car