New to tracking in the SF Bay Area

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2015, 04:11 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,482 Likes on 2,269 Posts

Originally Posted by trygve
Good comments all the way around, Mooty. I have noticed that you are extremely patient even when the hippie car can pass my SPB easily.
LOL, i am just trying to figure out your speed secrets so i can get back into a BSR and not be 5 seconds off pace.

Originally Posted by ProCoach

Start gently, and add speed slowly. It's a great ride!
RIGHT ON
Old 12-01-2015, 02:24 PM
Tom W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I started with PCA-GGR by doing autocross. After a year of autocross, I was ready for the track and went to Thunderhill for a 3 day DE with GGR. It was all downhill from there.

I agree with the others that PCA is a great way to get started (it worked very well for me). I would argue a bit more strongly to start by doing a couple autocross events as the skills you learn there will really help reduce the risk when you head to the track for your first time.

I would also suggest you ensure your first event at the track is at Thunderhill and not Sears Point or Laguna Seca. I waited 3 years before I did my first event at Sears Point and I still remember Carlos totaling his brand new GT3 at that event. No matter who is the organizer, you can make a mistake that might result in bad things happening. A mistake at TH is less likely to result in significant car damage than at SP or LS.
Old 12-01-2015, 10:30 PM
audipwr1
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
LOL, i am just trying to figure out your speed secrets so i can get back into a BSR and not be 5 seconds off pace.RIGHT ON
Come join the fray - 2016 going to be fun year in SPB
Old 12-03-2015, 09:55 PM
fabe32
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Thank you all for the plethora of priceless info.
I look forward to learn to become a better driver, faster and safer ...and have my *** kicked by some of you guys.

See you sometimes on the track

Fabe
Old 12-04-2015, 12:35 AM
Hatzenbach
Rennlist Member

Received 457 Likes on 214 Posts

Cool,

See you in Thunderhill end of March 2016.
Come and say Hi (my car is in my avatar on the left)

Chris
Old 12-04-2015, 04:12 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,482 Likes on 2,269 Posts

^ GGR has a one day event in feb. the 2mile course at THill.
Old 12-04-2015, 10:31 AM
Hella-Buggin'
Rennlist Member

Received 323 Likes on 179 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
^ GGR has a one day event in feb. the 2mile course at THill.
No beginner run group though.
Old 12-04-2015, 02:03 PM
morsini
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here's a very good video to get you started. I'm a GGR instructor if you need any other tips.

Michael
Old 12-04-2015, 07:33 PM
Mahler9th
Three Wheelin'

Received 108 Likes on 78 Posts

Don't forget from my previous post:

"I recommend the book "Secrets of Solo Racing," as a good prep/reference, and any materials you can download from the GGR and other PCA web sites. And I always recommend the video "Going Faster!" as an initial reference tool. Have so with great success since 1987."

These worked very well with my #1 student. Only female in GGR history to get TTOD.

Also check out the "Flat Out" cartoon to get your mind right. Created by a former "protege" that went on to become GGR CDI. In a long line of CDI's. Like Henry Watts. If I recall mine was Tom, father of pro racer Johannes.

Happy Holidays.
Old 12-06-2015, 02:33 AM
Racer

Received 290 Likes on 118 Posts
Default Pointers...

Originally Posted by fabe32
Hi there,

Will you give me some pointers, please.
I am a total newbie in terms of tracking a car.
I now have a GT4 (with LWB ) and am ready to learn tracking.
What group/organization/school do you recommend me to join?
Laguna, Sonoma and ThunderHill locations.

Thanks,

Fabe
Another option...Do a Barber or Bondurant race school then an SCCA drivers school to get your racing license. Buy an inexpensive sedan to begin racing, then work your way up.
When you want to "track" your street car, you'll have all the basics, plus lots of confidence.

Old 12-06-2015, 10:09 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,841 Likes on 1,672 Posts

I'll add that less than 1 out of 10 (completely unscientific guesstimate) of those that track (do DE's) want to or actually eventually participate in wheel-to-wheel competition.

Whatever your goal, start simply and add experience before committing the resources to this sport. A lot of folks have a ton of fun on-track, no matter what the venue. I do think people can benefit from attending professional schools.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 12-06-2015, 02:40 PM
Racer

Peter ...

I agree with your statement, "Whatever your goal, start simply and add experience before committing the resources to this sport."

When I suggested the option of pro school/SCCA racing, it was just another way to get instruction and track time, with the added facet of honing car control ability in close proximity to another driver. I did not mean to say that racing had to be THE way, it's just great prep for whatever you want to do next.

I don't know the procedures at all track events, but during the few I have witnessed, there was plenty of close action and passing. So, it would seem logical that a driver who had been schooled in the art of racing, might be the one who is more comfortable and safe during a track day event.

In any event, whether it be a race or fun track day, it comes down to driving within your ability and being smart, so I'm not a proponent of taking your beautiful Porsche to a track without having had lots of experience and instruction in a smaller, less expensive and "disposable" car first.

The driver of this Porsche had an expensive first lap...
Attached Images  
Old 12-06-2015, 02:45 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by 9114609048
In any event, whether it be a race or fun track day, it comes down to driving within your ability and being smart

The driver of this Porsche had an expensive first lap...
Bingo!

Ouch! Thankfully, that is extremely rare, in comparison to the numbers of folks that do this...

I think driving on track (and as an extension of that, racing) is the ultimate in personal responsibility. You are in control of your own destiny...

But also, physics does not know the difference (or care) between cheap, throwaway cars and a 918 Spyder (for instance).
Old 12-06-2015, 03:05 PM
Racer

Default Physics....

"But also, physics does not know the difference (or care) between cheap, throwaway cars and a 918 Spyder (for instance)."

Hi Peter,

I'm no physics genius, but I think that losing control at close to 300 kph in a Porsche, versus 120 kph in a small sedan, then hitting a concrete wall, will make a difference in the outcome. The little sedan might not protect as well as the nicely engineered Porsche, but I have personally crashed both Porsches and small sedans and while this might just be anecdotal and not scientific...I want to be in the little sedan any day!

ps...I did not crash the Porsche in the photo...let's just say, I was very nearby when it happened!
Old 12-06-2015, 03:47 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by 9114609048
"But also, physics does not know the difference (or care) between cheap, throwaway cars and a 918 Spyder (for instance)."

Hi Peter,

I'm no physics genius, but I think that losing control at close to 300 kph in a Porsche, versus 120 kph in a small sedan, then hitting a concrete wall, will make a difference in the outcome. The little sedan might not protect as well as the nicely engineered Porsche, but I have personally crashed both Porsches and small sedans and while this might just be anecdotal and not scientific...I want to be in the little sedan any day!

I hear you!

We're not talking about capability, we're talking about the end result of managing those four tire contact patches, our only connection to Mother Earth.

In the end, it's the loose nut behind the wheel that determines a) whether or not and b) how fast the car will leave the track (except in incredibly rare circumstances...).

There has just been a great deal of discussion here on RL, especially on those threads seeking to answer DE n00b questions, that could suggest that IF you decide to track, you will (eventually) have an accident. I don't agree with that supposition. At all. I don't think you do, either, and don't suggest that you do.

Just want the OP to know that it's worthwhile coming into this sport with the car he has in a calm, measured and vetted way, using all the resources available to him within the DE structure. That's it!

Quick Reply: New to tracking in the SF Bay Area