Cayman GT4 Clubsport Unveiled

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2015, 09:03 AM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 882 Likes on 543 Posts

Cool pictures!

So we're talking a simple fire extinguisher here instead of a full system? The fact that it has windows and A/C explains partly why the piglet is so heavy.
Attached Images    
Old 11-21-2015, 02:22 PM
Cory M
Drifting

Received 74 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Frank 993 C4S
Cool pictures!

So we're talking a simple fire extinguisher here instead of a full system? The fact that it has windows and A/C explains partly why the piglet is so heavy.
Standard extinguisher is an odd choice on such an expensive car. A good mechanical fire system is only about $400. Hopefully it's just a showcar thing that was done in a hurry. I don't get the power windows and AC on a car that can't be street registered either.
Old 11-21-2015, 02:31 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 173 Posts

power windows and power mirrors. A/C!

It will be such an easy track car to live with.
The following users liked this post:
Toothengineer (08-30-2022)
Old 11-21-2015, 03:18 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Received 123 Likes on 86 Posts

I bet the cars are made on the gt production line and not at motorsports.

You can bet the imsa spec cars will look very different and be a couple hundred pounds lighter.
Old 11-21-2015, 06:23 PM
James-GMG
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 115 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban
I'm really excited to finally announce that we are running them. We have been working on a solution for GS for a while now and this has been shrouded in secrecy for a while.

Our IMSA cars will tun on the spec Continental tire so the costs are controlled. My apologies to those who want to drop Michelin money on these things.

On a plus side since a lot of guys are complaining about costs- Porsche is suggesting engine life and trans life will be double that of 3-cups and core exchanges on 3.8L engines vs cup engines is not even close.

In regards to the pricing side-

Buy a euro car for 120k, 16k fuel cell, 6+seat, 18k airfreight, and sales tax and you arrive at pretty much the same spot.

We still don't know what the car's life cycle (hubs bearings etc) parts will be but the car comes with KW shocks. In IMSA we can run whatever rotors we want as long as they are the same size but I think anything with 360-380mm rotors will be a lot more than our Miata rotors from the last few years.
CJ,

Congrats on the GT4 Clubsport announcement! It will certainly be fun watching these cars compete against the big boys in GS (Mustang's, Camaros, Astons) as it will be the underdog initially but you know PMNA wants to see the car succeed! We were looking to run 2 of them in PWC TC but the car is too strong for that class but hopefully someday PWC GTS Class will be all GT4 spec like GT is GT3 spec and that Cayman will be perfect for GTS (when they build the full GT4 Class car).

As far as other comments I have read on this thread....
1. Perfect car for newbies that have been tracking their 991 GT3/RS and want to try out Club Racing.
2. I don't see how anyone could build a car like this for less money that what they are selling it for......$100K for a street GT4 and $65K for all that? no way....
3. Pirelli Drivers Cup will have 10-12 of these running on the west coast, that should be fun to watch and there is huge interest from our client base to run in that series..
4. Demand is huge, well over 200 requests with just over 40 cars available.
5. Running costs, A LOT less than a Cup....just the motor and gearbox alone will save a ton and these tires are smaller than what are run on the 997.2 and 991 Cups, so the tire budgets will be slightly less.
6. It was be a blast to drive!! And you know there will be some go fast parts offered for this car at some point to get some serious weight out of the car.
7. TC and ABS......Cups don't come with those....that's a big plus for the beginner.
Looking forward to getting one in the shop soon.....

Again, congrats CJ!

Cheers,

James F. Sofronas | President & Owner
Global Motorsports Group ™
E: james@gmgracing.com
P: +1 (714) 432-1582
F: +1 (714) 432-1590
A: 3210 South Shannon Street, Santa Ana, California 92704
W: gmgracing.com
Old 11-21-2015, 08:58 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

These cars are really irrelevant to me and most of the people I hang out with as they are well outside of what My friends and I can afford. That said, as I look at what is in them, I don't think they are outrageously priced for what they are. I.E. A factory built, caged, air conditioned, yadda yadda race car.

However, to consider this an entry level race car for someone who has been doing DE's in their street car? I just don't see it. I started racing in an SP996. If I were to do it again I would not start in that expensive and capable car. Too much car, too much money. In PCA SPB or SP1 are much more logical places to start (and/or stay). I fail to see how TC in a race car makes it a good place to start out.
Old 11-21-2015, 09:54 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,307 Likes on 1,879 Posts

Originally Posted by mglobe
I fail to see how TC in a race car makes it a good place to start out.
It depends on where you want to end up...
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 11-21-2015, 10:15 PM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 2,369 Likes on 634 Posts

Originally Posted by ProCoach
It depends on where you want to end up...
GT3 spec cars have it so why not?
Old 11-21-2015, 10:40 PM
pcbloom
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This thread is teetering on the edge of folly.

Great news CJ, what's the driver line up going to be??
Old 11-21-2015, 11:08 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,307 Likes on 1,879 Posts

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban
GT3 spec cars have it so why not?
My point exactly! Good training ground.
Old 11-22-2015, 09:59 AM
Porschecup
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just ordered 2 cars ..might be getting one before x mas ..! Can't wait to drive it
Old 11-22-2015, 12:46 PM
Ubermensch
Rennlist Member

Received 177 Likes on 118 Posts

Just saw a great presentation on the car at Tech Tactics west. They clearly worked hard to position the car above the street cars (gt4 and gt3) while avoiding drawing people away from gt3 cup cars. Running costs will certainly be less than a cup car. They expect >90 hours on the engine with rebuild costs in the $25k range versus the cups 50 hours and $35k. Here are some track times they shared:
Attached Images  

Last edited by Ubermensch; 11-22-2015 at 01:36 PM.
Old 11-22-2015, 01:13 PM
fatbillybob
Drifting

Received 173 Likes on 99 Posts
Default ABS theory question

How does adjustable ABS work in theory? I only know street tire ABS. If the surface slippery ABS comes on early. If I got good Dot-R tires I can brake deeper and ABS works fine. If threshold braking is the point at which you just start to get ABS function what cockpit change can you make to optimize how ABS works with the system in the GT4 or even the famous Bosch Motorsports ABS system?
Attached Images  
Old 11-22-2015, 02:02 PM
obsessedone
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow! Whole lot about this car looks awesome!

But some head scratchers also:

As Frank points out, a fire extinguisher instead of a fire system in a factory built race car? Geez. You would think for safety and potential liability reasons (despite the ubiquitous, all encompassing racing waivers) a different decision would have been reached by Porsche and PCA. Would expect this to be one of the first things changed by most racers.

Cage roof bars "X" design? While appearing very robust, this design is likely to cause helmet clearance issues that are also a safety issue - you really don't want your helmet smashing into cage bars in an incident if it can be avoided. Because of its steeper roof slope the Cayman is about 1" lower than a Cup over the driver's helmet. The Cup has a single roof bar running from passenger rear corner to driver's front corner giving unrestricted clearance between the helmet and roof. This GT4 CS "X-bar" design lowers clearance in the Cayman, which had less helmet clearance to begin with... Some of us had to modify the Interseries cages for similar reasons. Unless they have managed to significantly lower the seat mounts, which is not apparent in the pictures, drivers around 6'2" plus (maybe shorter) will need to modify the roof bars (remove the rear portion on driver's side) for helmet clearance - which does not look like it will be simple or clean in view of having to deal with the gusseting at the center of the "X".

AC and electrically operated glass windows in the doors? Are they required for some target series or simply there to raise the weight? If not required for some target series could have traded them in towards a race dash, adjustable shocks, race radio and camera system that do not appear to be part of the build.

Overall still looks amazing, but does anyone have insight on these choices?
Old 11-22-2015, 04:06 PM
Ubermensch
Rennlist Member

Received 177 Likes on 118 Posts

Although a hand fire extinguisher is supplied the car is setup for a fire suppression system and air jacks. Both items are up to owners to install after the purchase. Manthey apparently will have systems ready to install.

Quick Reply: Cayman GT4 Clubsport Unveiled