Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 41 Posts

^^^ Now that's an endorsement. Glad you're ok
Old 03-14-2018, 04:43 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 3,293 Likes on 1,591 Posts

Any updates now that people own the Roux helmets for a while and have been using them? My Stilo is still a good helmet, which I could use for another year or two, but I was interested in the integrated cooling. Staying cool in a race car helps so much.

I'm concerned with a lot of the very specific negative reviews so curious if things have gotten better or worse.
Old 03-14-2018, 05:47 PM
NaroEscape
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 531 Likes on 284 Posts

Originally Posted by LuigiVampa
Any updates now that people own the Roux helmets for a while and have been using them? My Stilo is still a good helmet, which I could use for another year or two, but I was interested in the integrated cooling. Staying cool in a race car helps so much.

I'm concerned with a lot of the very specific negative reviews so curious if things have gotten better or worse.
Curious what negative reviews you've heard? (I didn't read this whole thread).
Wife and I have had ours for well over a year now. LOVE them. We just have the black Fiberglass ones, with just radio and water (was the bottom of the line until the Basic with no radio came out) Very comfortable and the radio works great. I even used the water line in an AER enduro race! (never thought I'd need that).
I've done over 25 track days with it now.
What we did notice though is that they seem to run a bit small...maybe that's the release system taking up space? Both my wife and I went up a size from our old helmets.

Getting You On Track!
www.naroescapemotorsports.com
704-395-2975
  • Data Analysis & Coaching
  • Drivers Gear
  • Crew Gear
  • Car Gear

'07 SPC
'71 914/6 Huey
'04 GT3

Old 03-14-2018, 08:37 PM
John H
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 47 Posts

I love mine but I do have one pique. The material seals along the bottom of my jaw/chin and effectively stops all airflow. I find myself using my hand to hold the material open to allow air to flow across my face and down out the bottom. I know it's probably great in a fire but it sure.makes a hot race hotter.
Old 03-14-2018, 08:43 PM
MarcD147
Three Wheelin'

Received 95 Likes on 57 Posts

I used the audio for the first time at Sebring dmtd/PCs and loved it
Crytal clear in my 996 cup without any other muffs or plugs.

Going to reroute my cooling to start using the helmet cooling.
Old 03-14-2018, 10:10 PM
NaroEscape
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 531 Likes on 284 Posts

Originally Posted by John H
I love mine but I do have one pique. The material seals along the bottom of my jaw/chin and effectively stops all airflow. I find myself using my hand to hold the material open to allow air to flow across my face and down out the bottom. I know it's probably great in a fire but it sure.makes a hot race hotter.
interesting you say that...I was actually going to comment that I liked that! For me, it makes the helmet feel more secure in some weird way... or maybe I’m just weird...

Last edited by NaroEscape; 03-14-2018 at 11:48 PM.
Old 03-14-2018, 10:22 PM
ApexPerformance
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 33 Likes on 17 Posts

the piece near the chin area of the helmet is removable. we had a customer where their shield was fogging up. we removed the chin piece and air was able to get up inside the helnet
Old 03-14-2018, 10:36 PM
Pruettfan
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

A little off topic but I hope my experience helps. I recently went through the process of selecting a new helmet. Initially I bought a Bell M.8 Carbon that felt ok but not quite right. A few months went buy and I watched a video from Northstar Motorsports that showed helmet fitting in more detail than most and I realized that I did not have the right fit. I called them and gave them my measurements and the shape of my head and they said Bell helmets tend to be more round versus oblong like my weird head which made sense. I researched Roux a bit but eventually decided to go with Stilo because the great reviews and the knowledge it was shaped better for my head. A word of caution for those of us with big heads (60 cm and larger) I was reading that the FIA did not find the Snell testing adequate for helmets of 60 cm or larger so they recommend the FIA standard for those if us with big heads. My cursory review showed that few manufacturers have been able to get the FIA certification on fiberglass helmets that are 60 cm or above. Something to consider when comparing your options.

Hope this is of value, btw I will be posting my LNIB Bell M.8 Carbon in the classifieds soon.
Old 03-15-2018, 01:25 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 3,293 Likes on 1,591 Posts

Originally Posted by NaroEscape
Curious what negative reviews you've heard? (I didn't read this whole thread).
Wife and I have had ours for well over a year now. LOVE them. We just have the black Fiberglass ones, with just radio and water (was the bottom of the line until the Basic with no radio came out) Very comfortable and the radio works great. I even used the water line in an AER enduro race! (never thought I'd need that).
I've done over 25 track days with it now.
What we did notice though is that they seem to run a bit small...maybe that's the release system taking up space? Both my wife and I went up a size from our old helmets.
The last couple of pages of this thread are not very positive in regards to the Roux helmet. Most of these negative comments were the result of "initial use" rather than prolonged use so I am curious how people feel after owning them for a while.

A helmet is a big investment so I am inclined to stick with a Stilo if I can;t get comfortable with the quality of the Roux.
Old 03-15-2018, 01:47 PM
Paseb
Race Car

Received 63 Likes on 45 Posts

I love my roux but i dont like the head cooling

Its not effective at all. Its hooked to the cool shirt box

Drink and ear sound is good.

The helmet is fragile for the external parts. Already replaced the water and cooling external parts.

I hope we could have an update on better head cooling from roux....
Old 03-15-2018, 01:47 PM
John H
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by ApexPerformance
the piece near the chin area of the helmet is removable. we had a customer where their shield was fogging up. we removed the chin piece and air was able to get up inside the helnet
Thank you for that info. I never thought about it being removable.
Old 03-15-2018, 03:26 PM
Deadeye
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I purchased the Roux composite version from Apex last spring and used it for a full season of three endurance races and instructed at 9 DE events. The comm system worked well for both communicating with the pit box during the races and talking with students from the right seat. No problems to report and it fits my head (oval shape) well. I did experience a lot of fogging when acting as pit crew for our race team and will try removing the chin piece for that exercise. I did not try the head cooling, but the other accessories worked well
Old 07-27-2018, 10:43 PM
dbbarron
Burning Brakes

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I'm now in the helmet market (need one within a week or so) and am considering the Roux. Particularly the CF version.

I have a STILO intercom in my car and my club generally runs Stilo intercom wiring.

I have a Stilo to IMSA adapter cable.

What is the ROUX wiring? I'm confused as to whether it is IMSA or NASCAR which I believe are different.
Old 07-27-2018, 10:54 PM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Received 940 Likes on 544 Posts

It's IMSA

(Also consider a Black Armor, very similar materials, less money)

Composite Stilo is cheaper and lighter as well.

Last edited by ShakeNBake; 07-28-2018 at 12:16 AM.
Old 07-27-2018, 11:01 PM
MarcD147
Three Wheelin'

Received 95 Likes on 57 Posts

You can specify NASCAR or imsa when you buy the cable

Quick Reply: Roux Helmets?