Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Roux Helmets?

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2016 | 07:29 PM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Jeff951NJ
To compare the sizes I am a large in a Stilo and I ordered a medium Roux. Roux supplies three different size cheek pads. (15mm, 20mm(witch comes installed) & 25mm) I installed the 25mm cheek pads and the helmet fits absolutely perfect. As mansions above I do a lot of Endurance Racing were I'm in the 2 hours at a time and up to 3 stints in a day witch if why I chose the Carbon for it's weight. I also have gotten a lot of question on what it weights. I put it on my scale at my office and its 3.9 pounds.
Eeeek, well I hope Linda was right and that I'm a large. I'm a medium in Simpson, but the medium Stilo was way to small. I'll know Monday I guess...
Old 12-08-2016 | 08:11 PM
RickyBobby
Instructor

One thing sold me on the ROUX... The emergency release feature. Oftentimes, in a worst case scenario, the actual REMOVAL OF THE HELMET from the injured/unconscious driver poses a NOT insignificant risk to the cervical spine (believe me, you do *not* want to mess with that sucker). Knowing someone can just "snap off" my helmet was sufficient to sell my (very desirable) neurological physician spouse.
Old 12-08-2016 | 09:31 PM
RickyBobby
Instructor

Originally Posted by naroescape
damn...options... :-) I really wish I had someplace close to try one on....
Bob you're close by that shop in mooresville, IIRC. Might be worth asking them if they will be getting some in stock. I spoke with Don at VIR in the TMI shop and he tells me they have some in stock as well.
Old 12-08-2016 | 11:23 PM
jcs_911
Racer

Are there any photos around with the visor up?
Old 12-09-2016 | 09:14 AM
gobuffs
Instructor

Originally Posted by RickyBobby
One thing sold me on the ROUX... The emergency release feature. Oftentimes, in a worst case scenario, the actual REMOVAL OF THE HELMET from the injured/unconscious driver poses a NOT insignificant risk to the cervical spine (believe me, you do *not* want to mess with that sucker). Knowing someone can just "snap off" my helmet was sufficient to sell my (very desirable) neurological physician spouse.

the release system didn't really impress me that much. It's way too flimsy IMO to work effectively to stabilize the head and neck during helmet removal.
Old 12-09-2016 | 12:14 PM
CosmosMpower
Drifting

Why is the comms adapter a male end? Kind of weird.
Old 12-09-2016 | 12:16 PM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Because it's IMSA. It's Stilo that is weird, it's different than every other standard.
Old 12-09-2016 | 01:34 PM
CosmosMpower
Drifting

Originally Posted by ShakeNBake
Because it's IMSA. It's Stilo that is weird, it's different than every other standard.
Don't think so, IMSA is usually a female end on the helmet from what I've seen.
Attached Images   
Old 12-09-2016 | 01:56 PM
ApexPerformance
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Default Roux radio plug

Roux male plug is designed to plug directly into the wiring harness of your imsa radio system. It is opposite of other connections Out there. If you have Nascar or chatterbox, adapter plugs are available. We need to get the adapters on our site.
Old 12-09-2016 | 02:14 PM
winders
Race Car

Originally Posted by CosmosMpower
Don't think so, IMSA is usually a female end on the helmet from what I've seen.
Aren't those the plugs for the ear buds?
Old 12-09-2016 | 02:17 PM
ApexPerformance
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by winders
Aren't those the plugs for the ear buds?
Roux has wired earmuffs so ear buds are eliminated.
Old 12-09-2016 | 02:27 PM
Astroman
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by RickyBobby
I've posted these comments on this forum before without much response. I guess with most things, people hear what they want to hear.

From '96-'00, I was a Paramedic for a large 911 EMS system. I have removed a lot of motorcycle helmets and applied more c-collars than I could ever count.

From '04-'09, I was a surgery resident at a large Level 1 trauma center. I have treated more patients with spinal injuries than I could ever count.

Safe helmet removal is NOT difficult. It is a skill/process that is taught and practiced in EMT school. In my (expert?) opinion, these helmet removal systems complicate something that is NOT complicated. I do not use one of these systems. I would rather take my chances with the good ole fashioned, tried and true, and commonly practiced method of removing a helmet.
Old 12-09-2016 | 02:29 PM
winders
Race Car

Originally Posted by ApexPerformance
Roux has wired earmuffs so ear buds are eliminated.
Look at the photos in the post I responded to.
Old 12-09-2016 | 06:59 PM
jdistefa
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Astroman
I've posted these comments on this forum before without much response. I guess with most things, people hear what they want to hear.

From '96-'00, I was a Paramedic for a large 911 EMS system. I have removed a lot of motorcycle helmets and applied more c-collars than I could ever count.

From '04-'09, I was a surgery resident at a large Level 1 trauma center. I have treated more patients with spinal injuries than I could ever count.

Safe helmet removal is NOT difficult. It is a skill/process that is taught and practiced in EMT school. In my (expert?) opinion, these helmet removal systems complicate something that is NOT complicated. I do not use one of these systems. I would rather take my chances with the good ole fashioned, tried and true, and commonly practiced method of removing a helmet.
Totally agree. There is an art and science to removing a helmet safely that takes two sets of hands. Having removed god knows how many I would echo Jack's comment that more gizmos aren't a replacement for basic knowledge and skill.

I wish they had simply made the helmet lighter but I understand they are complying with trends and policies (neither of which should be confused with a good health care intervention).

The vast majority of cervical spine injuries are either mechanically/clinically stable or catastrophic - i.e. removing the helmet by whatever common sense technique isn't going to make things worse. So IMHO alot of this stuff is smoke and mirrors.

In any case, nice helmet and I'm interested
Old 12-09-2016 | 08:13 PM
John H
Addict
Rennlist Member

Jack/Matt

Do the new contraptions make the traditional method impossible?

Quick Reply: Roux Helmets?