Sponsored by:

Mid Ohio - Help me find time +Video

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2015, 03:22 PM
gbuff
Rennlist Member

Received 424 Likes on 290 Posts

Originally Posted by Astroman
Get all over the apex curbs at Turn 9 and at Turn 11. Wherever you see dead grass and/or dirt beyond apex curbing (check your video)- that should tell you something. Put your front wheels on that dead grass.
Be careful going over the inside curb at 11 (Thunder Valley)......not only is the grass gone but the dirt is as well--there's a big hole there and you don't wanna hit it. Upsets the car big-time....ask me how I know

Hopefully they'll fix it before spring, but if you're attending this weekend's track event be aware.

Gary
Old 10-26-2015, 03:24 PM
dgm8138
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Burger
Just the internal. An external with higher sampling would be ideal.
A 10hz external GPS for ~100 dollars dramatically improves the quality of data output from Harry's. I couldn't be happier for what I'm getting from a less than 150 dollar investment.

This is a pretty cool thread. And I'm almost convinced on posting and asking for feedback on my own video...
Old 10-26-2015, 11:45 PM
BlueBarchetta
Instructor

Received 43 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by gbuff
Be careful going over the inside curb at 11 (Thunder Valley)......not only is the grass gone but the dirt is as well--there's a big hole there and you don't wanna hit it. Upsets the car big-time....ask me how I know

Hopefully they'll fix it before spring, but if you're attending this weekend's track event be aware.

Gary
Was at Mid Ohio this past weekend and would echo the turn 11 rut/hole. Normally use this, but right now it's too deep.

Turn 13 is really entered early. There is a hole/rut at the beginning of the curbing, you want to be on that hole (it's small). There used to be good braking markers on the fencing, above the Armco to the right as you enter 13. However, that Armco took a beating earlier this year and had to be replaced. I noticed this weekend the brake markers/numbers no longer exist. If you can find some older video, I always used to just brush the brakes at the "2", and turn in at or before the "1".

Come to think of it, the brake markers are also missing from the fence on the left entering China beach at the end of the back straight.
Old 10-27-2015, 10:53 AM
Mvez
Rennlist Member

Received 258 Likes on 112 Posts

Start taking from behind the driver seat, so that we can see you and your inputs, if you really want the most constructive advice.
Old 10-27-2015, 03:22 PM
Burger
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Mvez
Start taking from behind the driver seat, so that we can see you and your inputs, if you really want the most constructive advice.
But then you'll see me texting with a Big Gulp in the drink holder!

In car footage is on the list for my next event.
Old 10-27-2015, 06:55 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 170 Likes on 66 Posts

try and put the camera back so that we can see steering input. To help, we need to see that to see if you are scrubbing speed off in or out of turns. The lap looked smooth.
Old 10-19-2016, 11:24 AM
Burger
Pro

Well, it's been a year. Went back to Mid Ohio and feel like I found some speed, but times are about the same.

Here's the footage from in the car-

Old 10-19-2016, 12:30 PM
dgm8138
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The weather this past weekend was amazing!

That event was my first visit to mid Ohio. So I can't offer a whole lot of constructive feedback. But it looks like you're trying a bit too hard to set up for madness. You can carry more speed through China beach...there's tons of track still to your left on exit.

Also, ignore this advice below...I had no idea how nice an AIM solo was until this year...

Originally Posted by dgm8138
A 10hz external GPS for ~100 dollars dramatically improves the quality of data output from Harry's. I couldn't be happier for what I'm getting from a less than 150 dollar investment. This is a pretty cool thread. And I'm almost convinced on posting and asking for feedback on my own video...
Old 10-19-2016, 01:54 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,339 Likes on 1,895 Posts

Without data or at least info on the video, hard to tell and harder to compare. All you can speak of without that info is generalities...
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 10-19-2016, 01:57 PM
gbuff
Rennlist Member

Received 424 Likes on 290 Posts

I was signed up and in Ohio when I got a call Thursday night and had to come home--bummer . Spooky, as near the end of the video you passed a white Mini that looked just like mine

Anyway, on the whole things looked real good to me; you really don't need to hit the first apex in the chicane--stay out a bit and you'll get a straighter shot going into the Keyhole.

Keyhole--IMO you're going way too high and spending too much time in the turn, and you're almost running out of track at exit anyway. Try mid-track through there if you can and see where you come out; check your exit speed at the end of the exit curbing. Same for the Carrousel but it's not as pronounced as the Keyhole.

Otherwise, just hit/miss stuff--Madness seemed much improved over last time but make sure you hit the apex for T9 i.e. on the curb.

Again, I'm the farthest thing from a pro coach and drive a completely different car than you so do with these what you will

Gary
Old 10-19-2016, 02:00 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by dgm8138

I had no idea how nice an AIM solo was until this year...
Yep! <grin>
Old 10-19-2016, 02:26 PM
Burger
Pro

Here's the data lap if you want it. I'm finding Harry's Laptimer just isn't accurate enough to deeply compare, but it is what it is.

What I'm doing differently this event-

T1- I made a serious effort to be as consistent as possible braking at the 200 mark and turn in, allowing me to get to full throttle sooner, and more comfortably. This resulted in higher exit speeds.

T2- I worked to carry more speed through 2 by being consistently on the apex curbing to straighten the braking into 3.

T3-4- After braking at 3, back on throttle to braking before the Keyhole. Carrying more speed pushed me wider in the Keyhole.

T5- (Keyhole) Worked to be on the throttle sooner through the keyhole, getting used to the back of the car drifting a bit down the hill and being full throttle much earlier.

Back Straight, better exit from the Keyhole = +3MPH at braking zone.

T7- Tried carrying more speed and running wide to be tight for T8, but preferred exiting T7 about mid track to carry more speed over T8.

T9- Sometimes on the curb, sometimes not. Full throttle at T9 apex through T10

Going over the hill, I usually feather back slightly. Tried it a couple times at full throttle and it makes braking at T11 a little dicey.

T12, same as always, try to be on the curbing.

T13- Worked on less braking, more consistetly, full throttle through apex to Carousel braking zone.

T14- Tried starting wider into this turn and being full throttle well before apex. Seemed to carry a lot more speed through this section on to the front straight.
Old 10-21-2016, 12:21 PM
brake dust
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

Nice driving! For what it's worth. Tommy Byrne said not to cross over the "center line" in both the key hole carousel. He felt that this was the right line for any car.
Old 10-21-2016, 02:58 PM
David993S
Drifting

Received 155 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by brake dust
Nice driving! For what it's worth. Tommy Byrne said not to cross over the "center line" in both the key hole carousel. He felt that this was the right line for any car.
+1 on the above. It's easy to go too hot into the Keyhole and Carousel and end up too wide. You just have to have a little discipline. I generally only go out about 1/3rd of the track width in both of those corners. It's a school line vs. a racing line thing. Some teach a wider line but I prefer the "left side tires no more than half way out" line, probably due to habit after many years of SCCA racing at M-O.

BTW - you were two garages down from me last weekend (black 996). Your white GT3 is beautiful.
Old 10-21-2016, 03:55 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by brake dust
Tommy Byrne said not to cross over the "center line" in both the key hole carousel.
Originally Posted by David993S
+1 on the above. It's easy to go too hot into the Keyhole and Carousel and end up too wide. You just have to have a little discipline.

Some teach a wider line but I prefer the "left side tires no more than half way out" line, probably due to habit after many years of SCCA racing at M-O.
I disagree.

Been running, teaching and winning at Mid-Ohio for nearly three decades in a variety of different historic and current cars, and I recommend placing right side tires no further left than centerline, after driving over it.

I can see how in a less responsive car, you might not be able to get down to the apex, especially if you overcook it.

I love Tommy and he has a lot of laps as head of the school there

But, if the rotation is quick, you don't lose time and there is an advantage in "sooner to WOT" on exit, according to data from cars turning 1:19 to 1:55...

YMMV.

Quick Reply: Mid Ohio - Help me find time +Video