Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

987.2 in NASA TTC

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2015 | 10:19 AM
WynnS123
Intermediate

That would make it very difficult to stay in TTC with that car. If the car has a base class of TTC** then you only have 5 points left to play with to stay in TTC. 3 points for 225 R7's and 2 points for springs. Anything beyond that would push you in to TTB.

Let me take you further down the rabbit hole. You could do a dyno reclass to gain more points. You would need to get your whp numbers on a DynoJet dyno set to SAE correction and a smoothing factor of 5. Submit your hp number and base class you wish to remain in (TTC*) and request for a new minimum weight. You would have to add weight but you will now have an additional 7 points to play with (12 points total) for other modifications not including power mods.

Depending on your setup / car, a dyno reclass does not necessarily benefit you. The TT Director will not give you quite as good of a weight to power ratio as the max allowed for TTC. It will be lower. This opens a whole new realm of possible points configurations. It is up to you to find the most effective setup.
Old 10-23-2015 | 10:26 AM
WynnS123
Intermediate

Regarding tire temps, the inside edge of the tire should be hotter than the middle and outside. Most people think that the tire temps should be even across the face of the tire, but that is incorrect. If temps are even across the face of the tire, you do not have enough negative camber because you have to account for the straights. You spend more time on the inside edge of the tire because of the straights. You should see higher temps on the inside edge, lower temps in the middle, and even lower on the outside edge.
Old 10-23-2015 | 09:54 PM
dgm8138
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by WynnS123
Regarding tire temps, the inside edge of the tire should be hotter than the middle and outside. Most people think that the tire temps should be even across the face of the tire, but that is incorrect. If temps are even across the face of the tire, you do not have enough negative camber because you have to account for the straights. You spend more time on the inside edge of the tire because of the straights. You should see higher temps on the inside edge, lower temps in the middle, and even lower on the outside edge.
Intriguing. I've always made note of this temperature pattern being the case with my rear tires. I just assumed it had something to do with them being the driven tires. And this aligns with what the seat of my pants is telling me. The car understeers. I trail brake almost every corner. I feel like I usually do a pretty good job of it, but filtering through bad or incomplete information out there is a challenge.

I think setting up for TTC is going to be too much of a challenge/nuisance. If I had the talent...Id go for it. But I don't. I thought it'd be straight forward with a mod or two since the car is already TTC**. I think I'll just finish up the safety additions, continue to wear out my RS3s, and if there's enough money left over close to the end of next season...get some adjustable LCAs or an R spring/damper package.
Old 10-24-2015 | 12:52 AM
WynnS123
Intermediate

Originally Posted by dgm8138
I think setting up for TTC is going to be too much of a challenge/nuisance. If I had the talent...Id go for it. But I don't. I thought it'd be straight forward with a mod or two since the car is already TTC**. I think I'll just finish up the safety additions, continue to wear out my RS3s, and if there's enough money left over close to the end of next season...get some adjustable LCAs or an R spring/damper package.
Don't underestimate yourself or your potential ability before you even begin. You've already lost the race if you think that way. The time is out there. You just have to find it in your driving and setup.

Jump in to TT with your car in it's current state. Don't change anything. I'm not sure how the TTC field is in your area but if you have at least a few people to race you will learn to go fast. TT really teaches you to find that "enth" of a second especially if all that separates you from winning a full set of Hoosiers is 2 tenths of second. Believe me, you will learn to dissect your driving and your setup. You will start finding time in places you never considered before.

Plus in TT, you are gridded by time. Chances are the car in front of you is just barely faster than you. You learn where and why they are faster just by following.

You are faster than you realize. Don't short change yourself before you even jump in the ring. HPDE can only teach you so much. Nothing beats competition to make you faster.
Old 10-24-2015 | 12:55 AM
WynnS123
Intermediate

Does the Cayman use camber plates? If so, I believe those are a "free" mod (no points).
Old 10-25-2015 | 09:21 PM
dgm8138
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by WynnS123
Does the Cayman use camber plates? If so, I believe those are a "free" mod (no points).
Are the free camber plates the ones that add to your suspension stack up and attach to your existing strut mounts? Or can they include new strut bearings? Seems like this might bring on a points assessment for spherical type strut bearings.

Quick Reply: 987.2 in NASA TTC