Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GT4's, what's the word from the track ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2015, 09:08 PM
needmoregarage
Rennlist Member

Received 1,558 Likes on 664 Posts

There were two at the track this weekend (an instuctor owned, and student owned). Both had it on track for the first time ever.

All feedback was positive. The instructor owns a Cayman R which he plans to keep for track use but wanted to experience his GT4 and said it's gonna be difficult to go backward....
Old 10-15-2015, 11:39 PM
jdistefa
Rennlist Member

Received 534 Likes on 264 Posts

Reference point: Daniel Morad, IMSA Gt3 Cup Canada driver (for Allegra/Oakville Porsche) had a dealer 991 Gt3 and the Gt4 out at Mosport last month doing hot laps on street tires. Not risking, but taking customers for rides and driving, uh, quickly.

1:29s in the Gt3... and 1:31s in the Gt4.
Old 10-16-2015, 07:14 PM
boxer-11
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 37 Posts

I'm not an owner but I got to drive a 991 TTS, a 991 GT3 and a GT4 back to back on two separate days in open lapping recently at the PSDS in Alabama.

GT4 was very impressive but not as easy to point compared to the GT3. For example, it was in some sense a bit twitchy trying to steer with my feet compared to the GT3 which was more predictable. When I asked a couple of the instructors about my impression they gave me to understand they think if there's a negative to the GT4 it's that it could "use a bit more front tire". The manual transmission was really good -- perhaps best I have ever driven and I didn't notice any gearing concern around the Barber track. I messed with the auto-blipper and couldn't fool it -- neat-o gadget.

[For completeness, I should say the PSDS folks do not run the Cup2 tires on the GT cars so grip takes a bit of a hit there over "stock" configuration I imagine.]

Neither GT car could match the TTS for sheer "whoosh!" with the wheels pointed straight but the extra weight was readily apparent for the TTS when it came time to brake and turn. The TTS (and my own TT) is fun on the track but clearly not in the same league as either GT car for track purposes.

FWIW, I came away with the GT3 top of my list (and normally I'd call myself a manual transmission fan but these new PDK boxes are just magical on the track).
Old 10-18-2015, 12:30 PM
996TWINS
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The video showed the GT4 at Willow Springs Intl Raceway and the Streets of Willow here in CA.

1:21.74 is really FAST with street tires @ SOW, which is a tight technical track that favors the Boxsters and Caymans.

WSIR is suited more for the high HP cars. It would have been great if the fastest lap time was revealed.
Old 10-22-2015, 02:24 PM
TrackDays247.com
Former Vendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Customer yesterday said he is 8 seconds a lap quicker at VIR than in his old C2S
Old 10-22-2015, 04:34 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,377 Likes on 836 Posts

Originally Posted by Craig - RennStore.com
Customer yesterday said he is 8 seconds a lap quicker at VIR than in his old C2S
What MY C2S? What tires? Etc.
Old 10-23-2015, 07:22 PM
eric523
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 996TWINS
The video showed the GT4 at Willow Springs Intl Raceway and the Streets of Willow here in CA.

1:21.74 is really FAST with street tires @ SOW, which is a tight technical track that favors the Boxsters and Caymans.

WSIR is suited more for the high HP cars. It would have been great if the fastest lap time was revealed.
That's pretty quick at Streets on street rubber.

Last edited by eric523; 10-23-2015 at 08:56 PM.
Old 10-31-2015, 08:55 AM
DTMiller
Rennlist Member

Received 328 Likes on 177 Posts

There was one with temp tags at Summit yesterday. Great looking/sounding car. Slightly faster than my Miata. In the way that Brad Pitt is slightly more handsome than me.
Attached Images  
Old 11-02-2015, 07:19 PM
matttheboatman
Rennlist Member

Received 618 Likes on 240 Posts

Looking forward to a run on my home turf where a same driver/different car comparison will be the most accurate interpretation of the GT4s ability. I did run all day at Nurburgring while on Euro Delivery. I found its sweet spot to be not so much it's turn-in ability but the speed the car is able to take into and hold and even accelerate in long sweeping turns. It's really incredibly poised and wicked fast in places where other cars, even other Porsches, show themselves to be on the ragged edge. It's really a wonderful track toy. It has the ability to make a novice like my feel confident at speeds, and has the ability to really run with the big boys in the hands of a pro.
Old 11-02-2015, 08:59 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,307 Likes on 1,879 Posts

Originally Posted by matttheboatman
I found its sweet spot to be not so much it's turn-in ability but the speed the car is able to take into and hold and even accelerate in long sweeping turns. It's really incredibly poised and wicked fast in places where other cars, even other Porsches, show themselves to be on the ragged edge. It's really a wonderful track toy. It has the ability to make a novice like my feel confident at speeds, and has the ability to really run with the big boys in the hands of a pro.
^^This^^
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 11-03-2015, 10:02 AM
ChrisFL
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 49 Posts

Looking forward to a run on my home turf where a same driver/different car comparison will be the most accurate interpretation of the GT4s ability. I did run all day at Nurburgring while on Euro Delivery. I found its sweet spot to be not so much it's turn-in ability but the speed the car is able to take into and hold and even accelerate in long sweeping turns. It's really incredibly poised and wicked fast in places where other cars, even other Porsches, show themselves to be on the ragged edge. It's really a wonderful track toy. It has the ability to make a novice like my feel confident at speeds, and has the ability to really run with the big boys in the hands of a pro.
Hey this is exactly what I would like to do. Can you PM on the details of your delivery and Ring experience? I want to schedule this is the spring when Im expected to take delivery. Thanks

Chris
Old 11-05-2015, 05:38 PM
Gofishracing
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

From a PCA Chief that got to drive a friends GT4 "disgustingly awesomely fantastic"
Old 11-05-2015, 05:39 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,680 Likes on 868 Posts

Looks like I will be coaching in & driving one in a couple weeks. Will report my impressions!
Old 11-05-2015, 06:04 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3,477 Likes on 2,072 Posts

I was out at Chuckwalla with Zone 8 a couple weeks ago and talked to a guy that had the GT4 out on track for the 2nd time. I don't know him personally and don't know what kind of driver is, but he said the first time on track he had factory settings and it pushed like crazy.

This 2nd time on track he had a shop put shims (plural) in to get about -2.7 negative front camber. He was running Trofeo R tires. For perspective, this track is a handling track with not very long straights. Given the GT4s long gears, I'm guessing he did the entire track in 2nd and 3rd gear. He was running 2 min flat vs. a very good driver in a 996GT3 putting in 1:59s. Good driver in a 991 GT3 with factory tires was running 2:01s. Top time of the day was a trailered in race car that was at 1:55.XX.
Old 11-06-2015, 12:31 PM
CosmosMpower
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 39 Posts

When were you at the ring on ED? I was there in Oct during ED of my M3.

Quick Reply: GT4's, what's the word from the track ?