Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PFC97 any better than Porterfield R4?

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2003, 03:27 PM
a4944
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PFC97 any better than Porterfield R4?

I went through the front R4 pads on my chipped 1986 944 Turbo in one DE weekend at VIR South (advanced group). They stopped OK but I was dissappointed with the pad life. Porterfield sells PFC97 but thought they would have similiar life to the R4 pads. They recommend PFC01 but they are not made for the 944 Turbo. I'm going to CMP next which is even harder on brakes. I was looking at the PFC97 since they were less expensive than the Pagid pads and got good reviews from folks on this forum. I'm not so sure now. I'll go with the Pagids if I can expect them to hold up better than the PFC in which case the price premium over the PFC97 would be well worth it. I already made a mistake with the R4s, hoping not to make another. I'd appreciate any comparisons of these three pads.

Thanks,
Mark
Old 09-22-2003, 04:20 PM
Mike Buck
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts

Try the PF97's. I have 10+ track days on mine and they show minimal wear. Tracks driven on these pads include Mont Tremblant, VIR, and Summit Point . . . so they've been used hard.

The Pagids you want for a 944 turbo are the Blacks. For the same $$ I can get 2.5 sets of PF97's for one set of Blacks, w/o having to deal with crap buildup on the rotors either.
Old 09-22-2003, 04:55 PM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Mark,

I have to agree with you on the Porterfield R4 pads. I went through a set of fronts in 400 track miles. Previous to those pads, I was using the Pagid Oranges and have been getting 1500 -1750 track miles on them. Needless to say, I'm back to using them agin.
Old 09-22-2003, 05:53 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I have heard good things about hawk blues for 944 Turbos. I run them in my 944-spec car and love them. I have not however run either of the other pads mentioned.
Old 09-22-2003, 10:53 PM
a4944
Racer

The Blues could be an option. I've run Hawk HP+ on an Audi and was pleased with them until I got more advanced and they started fading some.

I don't fully understand the brake dust issue with the Hawk Blues. I drive the car to/from the track. I could swap the pads at the track although I've been doing it at home before an event. I typically clean the wheels the night or day after the weekend event although it sometimes has to wait until the following weekend. Is the brake dust from the Hawk Blues really as bad as some people say? Would I have any issues with the above usage?

Thanks,
Mark
Old 09-22-2003, 11:06 PM
JC in NY
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by a4944
Is the brake dust from the Hawk Blues really as bad as some people say?
It's worse. If it gets wet it ends up like cement.
Old 09-22-2003, 11:44 PM
JPhillips-998
Cows-4-Rent
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I went from Pagid to PFC and will never go back. They give a much better initial bite and have held up over three race/de weekends including an hour enduro at Blackhawk and an hour at Gingerman, both very hard on brakes. Other events have been Road America and this past weekend at Putnam which included and 1 1/2 enduro. The brakes held up incredibly well.

With the Pagids, I had warped disks, "lost" my brakes frequently and went through them faster than the PFC's.
Old 09-23-2003, 12:57 PM
Jeff Curtis
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

In MY opinion, BOTH of those compounds/pads just S___!

Sorry, have used several sets of both PFC and Porterfield pads - NEVER again.

Pagid is the ticket, but quite pricey. I now use Carbotech Panther Plus (1108 compound) with GREAT success. Do a search and review my "bragging" on the 964 board.

Another good manufacturer, that is "down to earth" when compared to the "Big Boys" is Cobalt Friction...but pricey as well.

I get a good discount with Carbotech, with being an Instructor with NASA.

I am not biased because of the discount, I am biased because of the PURE PERFORMANCE I am getting out of these babies...I would suggest them to anyone.

The "junk" deposited on the wheels seems to cleanup easily, as does the paintwork on the car...my car is GP White...so it does get dusty after a day or so at the track.

Sorry to start out with such a "rash" statement, I've used up probably $8K worth of brake pads in the last 6-7 years and that's just MY opinion(s), take it or leave it.
Old 09-27-2003, 12:26 AM
Jerry Ljung
Advanced

a rousing second for the Carbotech Panther Plus

Quick Reply: PFC97 any better than Porterfield R4?