Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Nasty Bell helmet and great customer support

Old 09-22-2015, 04:37 PM
MikeJim
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nasty Bell helmet and great customer support

It must have been four years ago that I bought a Bell BR1 2010 race helmet in flat black. Loved it. Fit great. But within a year, the rubberized finish on the helmet began to look shabby, and I found another helmet I liked better. The Bell BR1 was rewired for sound, a nice microphone was added, and I began using it exclusively for instructing. Great helmet. But the finish kept getting uglier and uglier.

This summer, the rubberized covering almost seemed to melt in the heat. It got sticky, started to rub off on other things, became a real mess. I tried cleaning it, just made it worse. I could actually see the gloss black finish beneath the rubberized stuff.

I searched Google for "sticky helmet" and found a discussion by motorcycle riders who had experienced the same problem. One guy said he had reached out to Bell and they had been very cooperative. I contacted Bell and ran into a brick wall. Eventually, I learned that racing helmets were part of Bell Racing...a separate division. www.bellracing.com

I was put in touch with Scott Davies, Bell Racing's Quality Control & Returns Coordinator in Champaign, IL. I explained the problem and he urged me to submit a warranty return request. This involved creating an account with Bell, then filling out an online form, requesting a Return Authorization number. http://bellracingusa.rmaportal.com/ReturnPolicy/

According to Bell's website, the helmet was only warrantied for a year, but Scott urged me to continue with the submission. Within minutes after clicking "Send," I received a return email, authorizing the helmet return. I was sent the necessary shipping forms, boxed it up, and dropped the helmet off at Fedex.

A week later, I had a brand new helmet. Scott even removed all the wiring from the old helmet and rewired the replacement at no charge.

Turns out, Bell is well aware of the problem with the rubberized finish. They now simply use a flat black paint.

I thought Rennlisters should know about Bell's terrific customer service. And if you have an icky black rubberized helmet that is melting, know that you have an option. Three cheers for Bell Racing.

Nasty Bell........................................................Good Bell

Last edited by MikeJim; 09-22-2015 at 05:55 PM.
Old 09-22-2015, 04:49 PM
Jason @ Paragon Products
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

We don't sell helmets but if we did, that's the sort of manufacturer support you dream of having. Kudos to Bell.

Parts | Tech-Session | Facebook | Youtube

Jason Burkett
Paragon Products - Porsche Parts & Accessories*- 800.200.9366
Tech Session - Porsche Tech & Info*- 361.289.8834
jason@paragon-products.com
Old 09-22-2015, 04:58 PM
amso3
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Thanks for sharing, nice to hear about good customer service
Old 09-22-2015, 08:42 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 3,237 Likes on 1,576 Posts

Its amazing with all the money companies spend on advertising that many often forget that customers are often the best advertisers. It seems that at least one person at Bell Racing understands this.

Thanks for sharing.

Last edited by LuigiVampa; 09-23-2015 at 11:22 AM.
Old 09-23-2015, 10:47 AM
RallyeChris
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 62 Posts

Damn. I ordered my BR1 in gloss black back in 2005...
Old 09-24-2015, 12:42 PM
pmason
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the same finish on by Bell GP2 helmet, still using it but, was disappointed that is scratches easily, but doesn't look as bad as your did. Will get one of the gloss ones next time.
Old 09-24-2015, 01:44 PM
redmonkey928
Rennlist Member

Received 317 Likes on 226 Posts

Currently using a Bell for motorsports, but have years of experience with cycling helmets made by Bell. They are a standup company and have protected my head many times over, definitely a lifetime supporter.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Nasty Bell helmet and great customer support