Sponsored by:

If you think the recent DE videos are bad, then watch this:

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2015, 03:06 AM
fbirch
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Horus2000
That's bad. But, it's not Trans Am at Mid-Ohio Bad...

Sorry, RL didn't carry over the links to specific times on the clips..

The Trans Am Series at Mid-Ohio -- The Next Dimension 100 - YouTube
14:06 - Yes, that's an inside pass on the dirt with contact and spin under yellow flag with disabled cars and unprotected track workers just feet away.

And this:
16:17 - Passing under double yellow behind the pace car to make your point? Yep.

And this:
23:41 - Yes, the same guy after serving a drive through for the incident above passes the leader and then proceeds to slow down and block.

And, inevitably, this:
25:10

And, finally, topped of with this:
28:45 - Sir, your Furrarrie is waiting for you. Stay Classy.
I watched it on DVR and couldn't believe what I was seeing. Shouldn't have been surprised though - in the pre-race interviews, two of the competitors openly talked about their intent to bump others off track if things weren't going to their liking.
Old 09-04-2015, 08:27 AM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,640 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Originally Posted by fbirch
I watched it on DVR and couldn't believe what I was seeing. Shouldn't have been surprised though - in the pre-race interviews, two of the competitors openly talked about their intent to bump others off track if things weren't going to their liking.
I'd invest in reinforced bumpers (all around) if I was building a Trans Am car. Would be all but guaranteed a championship win regardless of driving talent. Would be the last car (still) running at the end of each race.
Old 09-04-2015, 08:52 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,680 Likes on 868 Posts

Originally Posted by jscott82
Glad you said this... It's been on my mind lately... Just how lucky we all are... Who in their right mind would ever think they would actually have the ability to race a car.

We are all truly "living the dream"
+88888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888

Every day I get to earn my living at a race track, and in a race car, I silently give thanks. it is truly humbling to be able to do this, in peace and tranquility, while thousands of our men and women in uniform stand in harms way all over the world to assure to assure our freedom, peace, and tranquility.

Originally Posted by hf1
I'd invest in reinforced bumpers (all around) if I was building a Trans Am car. Would be all but guaranteed a championship win regardless of driving talent. Would be the last car (still) running at the end of each race.
Funny thing about that: back in the day, Tommy and Bobby Archer built racing trucks with reinforced bumpers with which they won numerous races. Not by bumping other racers, but by pushing each other in the draft to go faster than everybody else!
Old 09-04-2015, 09:25 AM
TXE36
Drifting

Received 191 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by LuigiVampa
At my last race I was sitting in a motor home, eating breakfast, watching the F1 race on TV, and waiting to go drive my race car on track. I thought to myself "it doesn't get much better than this."

All it cost me was 8 years of my life going to school at night and working full time during the day. Accordingly, I am pretty sure I appreciate it.
Originally Posted by jscott82
Glad you said this... It's been on my mind lately... Just how lucky we all are... Who in their right mind would ever think they would actually have the ability to race a car.

We are all truly "living the dream"
Well said, I still can't believe I do it, if even if it is just running laps at DE or instructing. People at work think I "race", after years of correcting them, I now just let them have their fantasy.

I remember starting out doing this and getting an instructor ride in the instructor run group at my first DE. Holy ****! I thought, I can't believe John does this - a wad of cars running at "insane" speeds very close to each other. Years later I remember the moment I was doing this in the instructor run group and specifically thinking "Holy ****! I get to do this!" Add in being able to drive COTA and ride around with Andy Lally driving the wheels off my car makes for some pretty cool memories. I've only "driven" Watkins Glen on a computer sim, but I'll get there for real someday and get another one of those experiences and memories.

The fact that you also get the side benefit of meeting great people doing this is just icing on the cake. Talk about an interest that spans generations, I've got track friends younger than 18 and over 70. When I stop at a traffic light in the Expy with the race car behind it on an open trailer and some guy in the next lane stops 20' back from the front of my truck to look at it I realize how lucky I am and you know what he is thinking.

-Mike
Old 09-04-2015, 10:42 PM
Racerrob
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Drissi "apologized" today. Pretty **** poor.

http://www.motorsport.com/transam/ne...e-better-of-me
Old 09-04-2015, 11:01 PM
Ritter v4.0
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 47 Posts

Hardly a red mist moment when he literally broadcasted his intensions before the race.

Last edited by Ritter v4.0; 09-05-2015 at 01:40 AM.
Old 09-04-2015, 11:43 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,640 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Originally Posted by Arkadi
Drissi "apologized" today. Pretty **** poor.

http://www.motorsport.com/transam/ne...e-better-of-me
Wow, he must have received a ton of sh*t and ostracism from everyone around him (team, family, friends...). Let's hope it teaches him a valuable lesson.
Old 09-05-2015, 04:35 PM
paradocs98
Rennlist Member

Received 406 Likes on 191 Posts

Saw that Drissi clip earlier in the week. Pure rage on his part. Scary.

Back to the original post:
Real-life video game, indeed. They looked like they were practicing tactical driving PIT maneuvers. I especially liked the spun car early in the clip driving off again at max throttle towards traffic to turn himself around. At Pole Position indoor karting the workers have the ability to shut down the individual electric karts or just bring everything to a stop. Methinks we need something similar here.
Old 09-08-2015, 10:20 AM
biko
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by AutobahnMac911
Does anyone know the specifics of the Challenge series fee structure for drivers?

I had heard you pay $1M, Ferrari provides the car and crew at each track, but do they cover replacement parts, mechanical failures, tires, livery, etc. or is everything a la carte? Not that it matters as those are small potatoes considering, just curious of the average annual spend to participate.
I forget the specifics but it works out to about $40K to $50K per race. This covers pro level support, 3 sets of tires, and consumables. Including nice catering. It doesn't include spare parts. You have to buy the car as well but some teams have rentals.

It is a "fantasy" racing experience: the event has all the trappings of a pro race, perhaps even more so. Some guys get deluded into thinking they are at a pro race and will spend close to $1M a year.

The worst of it: in the past some drivers have had their coaches (disguised as the driver) run qualifying for them. What's the point in that?

The top 5 drivers at the race I watched seemed pretty good. The back markers are in no danger. It is the mid pack where all the "excitement" is.
Old 09-09-2015, 11:00 PM
danielyonker
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by biko
I forget the specifics but it works out to about $40K to $50K per race. This covers pro level support, 3 sets of tires, and consumables. Including nice catering. It doesn't include spare parts. You have to buy the car as well but some teams have rentals.

It is a "fantasy" racing experience: the event has all the trappings of a pro race, perhaps even more so. Some guys get deluded into thinking they are at a pro race and will spend close to $1M a year.

The worst of it: in the past some drivers have had their coaches (disguised as the driver) run qualifying for them. What's the point in that?

The top 5 drivers at the race I watched seemed pretty good. The back markers are in no danger. It is the mid pack where all the "excitement" is.
NINJA - you should buy a Ferrari - looks like you'd fit right in
Old 09-10-2015, 12:29 AM
joeykid
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am pretty confident that Ferrari Challenge is now passé. Lamborghini Supertrofeo attracts the high rollers. Better hospitality tents and they have Lambo Girls.
Old 09-13-2015, 02:34 AM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,257 Likes on 613 Posts

Originally Posted by Hatzenbach
Ferrari Challenge, with *really* bad racing:

http://blackflag.jalopnik.com/this-f...=1441144711046
Haha - that's the reason I stopped doing .... iRacing :-) LOL
Old 09-13-2015, 12:48 PM
HoBoJoe
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by MaxLTV
Haha - that's the reason I stopped doing .... iRacing :-) LOL
Check out our Rennlist iRacing league, it's very clean and courteous.
Old 09-13-2015, 03:29 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,307 Likes on 1,879 Posts

Originally Posted by joeykid
I am pretty confident that Ferrari Challenge is now passé. Lamborghini Supertrofeo attracts the high rollers. Better hospitality tents and they have Lambo Girls.
Fun, too.
Attached Images  
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 09-14-2015, 02:30 PM
joeykid
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anything is fun with that group of guys. I have been Go-kart racing with them and it was a hoot. Watch out for Steve, he is sneaky fast.

Quick Reply: If you think the recent DE videos are bad, then watch this: