Sponsored by:

Beware - Swoop and Squat scam

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2015, 07:46 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by jscott82
The idea is: The "swoop" car (Challenger) will leave the scene... The "squat" car (Hyundai), will claim serious injuries (no matter how minor the contact). Since you rear-ended them, its generally presumed its your fault and your insurance will pay.
Seems odd. We wouldn't be able to claim insurance when we're deemed at fault. The other car would claim damages to it via the 'squat' car in this instance and they would need to pay the insurance excess to cover this.
Old 08-09-2015, 08:00 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

4 black men tried that once on me once maybe 20 years ago driving home at night from a John Wooden speech in Century City where he gave his highly motivational "Pyramid of Success" speech to a UCLA Alumni dinner. I had met my GF there, had a few drinks and dinner, and was driving my GMC CC dually for reasons I can't remember. Regardless they dove in front of me on a deserted 6 lane highway (Olympic) sliding on their brakes and it would have been impossible to not plow into them. When we finally slid to a stop my dually was planted into their engine compartment, driver's door, and LF wheel. The 2 passengers on the right side jumped yelling at me and it only took a fraction of a second for me to decide it was time to go. I threw it in reverse (thankfully it hadn't stalled) and backed up 30 feet and just stopped and surveyed the scene. I realized it was a setup though I didn't know if it was for insurance or a robbery. There wasn't anyone around and for a few seconds I contemplated ramming their now sideways POS with the 2 guys standing behind it. I knew that caddy wasn't drivable as the LF wheel was all bent so I just flipped them off and got the hell out of there leaving them stranded in the middle of the highway. Minor bumper damage to the dually (no surprise) and I don't think they got my plates as I never head from anyone. I took side streets home just in case....
Old 08-09-2015, 11:35 PM
fatbillybob
Drifting

Received 130 Likes on 84 Posts

Problem with identifying the swoop car is no HD camera captures the license number for starters. The angles recorded seem too wide. You might be able to show a potential setup but it is difficult to prove. I bet your ins co would pay off anyway just to avoid the lawsuit.
Old 08-10-2015, 01:26 AM
pontifex4
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 333pg333
Seems odd. We wouldn't be able to claim insurance when we're deemed at fault. The other car would claim damages to it via the 'squat' car in this instance and they would need to pay the insurance excess to cover this.
Patrick, this is generally a US scam, and it's not about the damage to the car. Rather, it involves a pet doctor who can show a series of soft tissue injuries (often a dubious diagnosis to begin with) under 'expert' testimony at a personal injury trial. The sums can be big on these.
Old 08-10-2015, 01:56 PM
BC
Rennlist Member

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Correct . The 800 series was the last available with the wonderful 8.1 liter (496 cu in) motor, which we used in all of our up-armored as well as in armored examples.
I am building a 8.1 block up (Gen7) with Dart heads and a nice big crank. Its going to be ludicrous.
Old 08-11-2015, 08:55 PM
pontifex4
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BC
I am building a 8.1 block up (Gen7) with Dart heads and a nice big crank. Its going to be ludicrous.
We'll have to race a hill climb when I finally get my Duraburb.
Old 08-11-2015, 10:51 PM
CAM14
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Maybe something to consider.

http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B...400_em_1p_6_im

No affiliation
Old 08-15-2015, 12:36 AM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 500 Likes on 372 Posts

up here they do this scam and they have fake physiotherapist, rehab etc all on the take. this really drives our insurance rates up. they are often all from one ethnic group, can't remember where they are from but the cops busted about 100 of them one night a few years ago.

Quick Reply: Beware - Swoop and Squat scam